Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

So my wife and I rode this today with our son (9)

We LOVE jimmy and his tonight show. Watch it a bunch so we are probably biased.

But I gotta say I had a crap-eating huge grin the entire time I rode this today. It was fun. I laughed, it entertained me and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Is it a Gigga coaster or launch ride? Of course not. Is it even soarin levels of a ride? Nope. But it's better than twister and the entire environment (Museme, rag time gals, etc) makes it for an awesome experience right there in New York. Great addition we are happy it's here. We had a great time.

So my wife and I rode this today with our son (9)

We LOVE jimmy and his tonight show. Watch it a bunch so we are probably biased.

But I gotta say I had a crap-eating huge grin the entire time I rode this today. It was fun. I laughed, it entertained me and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Is it a Gigga coaster or launch ride? Of course not. Is it even soarin levels of a ride? Nope. But it's better than twister and the entire environment (Museme, rag time gals, etc) makes it for an awesome experience right there in New York. Great addition we are happy it's here. We had a great time.
:thumbsup:

So the first time I rode this trip I thought, "That's actually kinda fun!"

The second time I rode I did not feel that way. What a pointless, nonsensical attraction. Shame too, has a great queue/preshow.

The second time I rode I did not feel that way. What a pointless, nonsensical attraction. Shame too, has a great queue/preshow.

Your second ride is like what happens when you take the laugh track out of much of late night TV or network comedies. There's a lot to dig into in the whole concept of late night TV too, just ask Craig Ferguson. So there were plenty of new, funny, and clever directions this could have went. But it ended up just being a bunch of strung together in-jokes and Universal ride cliches.

I didn't even think it was all that fun my first time.

The "smoothness" everyone talks about is just the ride system being INCREDIBLY tame. Like, tamer than Despicable Me. And like you said, it's all nonsensical. I spent a ton of time in the queue because that's the real attraction here, but the ride isn't even good filler.

Finally got to ride Fallon. Like everybody says, the queue area is brilliant and gorgeous. The second time I went on, I deliberately skipped my turn to enjoy the free, insanely fast charging ports (seriously, theme parks, more of this!), tabletop games and Ragtime Gals. The only minor quibble I have is that there are no charging ports by the stage, so I had to disconnect to watch them for a bit along with Hashtag. The VL is working rather flawlessly and it was almost immediate for incoming guests, making for a massive turnaround that had the upstairs quite empty for many minutes. It was such an escape from the heat and crowds. I can't gush about it enough... but there's also a ride.

The preshow is fun but a bit awkward with its applause sign: guests kept applauding for two seconds before stopping when realizing how absurd it was. The actual attraction reminds me a lot of those old Douglas Trumbull IMAX ridefilm simulators. They have one at the Adventuredome where I live. Here's what it looks like:

2e81bb90c7fa6715f4449e6a0fec2233--motion-theater.jpg

Pretty similar, right? The difference is this one is super sized, in 3D and bizarrely smooth. To the point of being almost not thrilling at all. The pizza scent doesn't work, period. But the 3D is decent and image quality is fine, I'm just kinda whatever on it. People really do seem to love it tho. Nothing but raves.

I will say, many in my family have back and other physical pain issues...riding Fallon together and not worrying about them needing a re-alignment was a treat

They can't ride Spiderman or Mummy because of the issue

One tame attraction isn't a bad thing

I will say, many in my family have back and other physical pain issues...riding Fallon together and not worrying about them needing a re-alignment was a treat

They can't ride Spiderman or Mummy because of the issue

One tame attraction isn't a bad thing

This is why they also need more boat rides and omnimovers. Not everything has to be thrilling to the point of breaking your neck.

I'm not expecting much out of it but I'll find out when I go in a few months. It's a shame to lose a practical attraction like Twister for a screen-based ride, but Twister wasn't that great anyway...I only did it once per trip if that, sometimes just skipped it. Apparently others did too because I never saw it more than 5-10 minutes. This can't be worse, right?

Finally got to ride Fallon. Like everybody says, the queue area is brilliant and gorgeous. The second time I went on, I deliberately skipped my turn to enjoy the free, insanely fast charging ports (seriously, theme parks, more of this!), tabletop games and Ragtime Gals. The only minor quibble I have is that there are no charging ports by the stage, so I had to disconnect to watch them for a bit along with Hashtag. The VL is working rather flawlessly and it was almost immediate for incoming guests, making for a massive turnaround that had the upstairs quite empty for many minutes. It was such an escape from the heat and crowds. I can't gush about it enough... but there's also a ride.

The preshow is fun but a bit awkward with its applause sign: guests kept applauding for two seconds before stopping when realizing how absurd it was. The actual attraction reminds me a lot of those old Douglas Trumbull IMAX ridefilm simulators. They have one at the Adventuredome where I live. Here's what it looks like:

2e81bb90c7fa6715f4449e6a0fec2233--motion-theater.jpg

Pretty similar, right? The difference is this one is super sized, in 3D and bizarrely smooth. To the point of being almost not thrilling at all. The pizza scent doesn't work, period. But the 3D is decent and image quality is fine, I'm just kinda whatever on it. People really do seem to love it tho. Nothing but raves.

Pretty much share my views. I’ll likely never do it again.

Or to quote the Guide, “mostly harmless”.

i'm not going to defend this thing, but i do want to say that my 11-yr-old son thinks it is great. He's never seen a late night talk show in his life.

All the time though, "EW! Quit talkin bout the safety and let's ride the ride!"

We've actually shown him some Fallon YouTube clips because how much he quotes this "ride".

So, it seems that peeps who know what a B&M is see this for what it is, but the GP laps it up. Based on my very scientific anecdotal evidence. :shades:

Fallon perfectly labels itself as an "attraction". Not only is it a "ride" but it also features a story and a pre-show experience with a show and museum. I think people who say Fallon is a horrible attraction, refer to the ride portion and not the entire experience. Universal, lately, labels the entire experience from Queue to Ride as the attraction.

Fallon perfectly labels itself as an "attraction". Not only is it a "ride" but it also features a story and a pre-show experience with a show and museum. I think people who say Fallon is a horrible attraction, refer to the ride portion and not the entire experience. Universal, lately, labels the entire experience from Queue to Ride as the attraction.
Exactly. The Total Experience, Universal's mantra.

A good queue is a bonus for me on any attraction. The reason I go on a attraction is for the ride, not the queue. The ride sucks in this case.

If the best part of this was going to be the ragtime gals, they could have saved millions and just made them streetmosphere.

A good queue is a bonus for me on any attraction. The reason I go on a attraction is for the ride, not the queue. The ride sucks in this case.

If the best part of this was going to be the ragtime gals, they could have saved millions and just made them streetmosphere.
Funny you say that, because for a while, the Ragtime Gals were to serve as the replacement for Sing It, which was supposed to close shortly after the ride opened.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good queue. But I'd much rather the good stuff be on the actual ride. I really hate when people defend a bad ride by saying it has a good queue.
Yeah. An immersive queue definitely helps the overall package, but it's not going to change my mind on a ride. A good example would be The Little Mermaid.