Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 207 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’ll agree to disagree on your summation of Shanghai Pirates. I think it looks like a great ride, but other than the ending I don’t think I’d take it over FJ, Spider-Man, or Gringotts.

I have my own skepticism about Some of Uni’s upcoming stuff. The Potter rides and Nintendo will be great, that I have no doubt. I’ll agree that when they don’t have someone looking over their shoulder they tend to trip themselves up. I’m not sold on the T2 replacement yet, and I hope SLoP turns out as well as people like BriMan say they will. I’ve been skeptical for a while at people on the inside claiming park 3 will be “TDS level”.

I get people are frustrated. But I wish we weren’t constantly rehashing the doom. Even with the relatively bad years of 2017 and 2018, we still got Volcano bay, which in my opinion is the strongest water park in the coty

If anything this just reiterates where Universal are now. These are what everybody here would have considered first world problems when Blackstone were in charge.

Some people don't how fortunate they are to be able to go to a top tier theme park some countries only wish they had (cough cough South Korea, Thailand, and pretty much the entire continent of Africa).

All that matters is people have fun and a good time with their families anything more is just extra for us theme park fans.

My final thought before this drags on and on (We're not all going to agree and that's what makes this forum great) is that I think it would just be nice if Universal could make a great ride that wasn't Potter. (I know Nintendo is coming but that's now here and now)

That’s my crux. The best thing UOR has executed on in the last 10 years that wasn’t Potter was likely Toothsome. They went “all the way” with it and didn’t cut corners and do the typical “80% of the way” that we loathe about Universal sometimes.
ETA: Somehow I forgot about VB which I personally believe is beyond incredible and hands down the best domestic water park. But I know not everyone agrees.

I desire for UC to do something as great as Potter on their own, and without JKR/WB overseeing it. If that makes me a troll, to desire to see them execute fully, then I guess I’m a troll.

And I’m certainly not going to join the “rah rah rumor!” brigade that uses rumors of future attractions as a means to justify the half-assed execution. How many times did we have to hear that Kong was going to have significantly more and more complex AAs than what we got? Sure, plans change- which is why I choose to base my opinions on what is delivered not vs what is promised.
(Note: I love Kong btw and think it was a great add and exactly what IoA needed- just mentioned it because rumors don’t always- dare I say rarely- come to fruition).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashhanbre and UNIrd
If every ride can't top the previous one then what would you call these rides between the great ones?

Do you consider Kong a great ride?

I'm not saying the end is nigh for Universal, it's clearly far from it. The GP will continue to gobble up everything that Universal throws out there and have a great time.

Up until this year, I would have called every ride we’ve gotten in between Potter rides good-to-great.

Minions (good)
Spidey redo (great)
Transformers (good/great)
Simpsons extension (great)
New Hulk (good)
And yes, I think Kong is a great ride. I like it a lot. Some people don’t, and that’s fine.

As for worrying about Universal’s reputation... I guess I don’t really care? If their only truly great rides come out of partnerships like Potter or Nintendo or LOTR...I’m more than happy with that, as long as their other output matches things like Kong and Transformers and not F&F and Fallon.

As to the “why should we believe any of you who say things are changing”, I’m fine if you don’t. Maybe it won’t come to pass. But if all the scuttle butt of guests tiring of these attractions is true, it’d be really bad business not to rethink their attraction design process. Comcast is a lot of things, but bad at business they are not, which leads me to give more credence to the info I’ve gotten.

Plus JKR/WB/Nintendo won’t let them slack off on their projects, which is why I have no doubt they’ll be great

That’s my crux. The best thing UOR has executed on in the last 10 years that wasn’t Potter was likely Toothsome. They went “all the way” with it and didn’t cut corners and do the typical “80% of the way” that we loathe about Universal sometimes.
ETA: Somehow I forgot about VB which I personally believe is beyond incredible and hands down the best domestic water park. But I know not everyone agrees.

I desire for UC to do something as great as Potter on their own, and without JKR/WB overseeing it. If that makes me a troll, to desire to see them execute fully, then I guess I’m a troll.

And I’m certainly not going to join the “rah rah rumor!” brigade that uses rumors of future attractions as a means to justify the half-assed execution. How many times did we have to hear that Kong was going to have significantly more and more complex AAs than what we got? Sure, plans change- which is why I choose to base my opinions on what is delivered not vs what is promised.
(Note: I love Kong btw and think it was a great add and exactly what IoA needed- just mentioned it because rumors don’t always- dare I say rarely- come to fruition).

To do that, you need vision - Rowling rides UC hard and is unrepentant, at times hostiles, and if she was working for the company they'd report her to HR for being a meanie and hurting their delicate feelings.

You need someone like that to make major creative endeavors stay on track. The people who are good but compromise give you things like FOP with wonky-unliked Navi River Journey attached.

My favorite Walt story is him jamming one of his most famous Imagineers (one we all know and love and worship) in the chest with his fingers and asking him why a particular "piece of xxxx" decor was in his park without his permission/approval.

Nice is different than good.

UC has a lot of creativity and just because its not reflected at UOR doesn't mean they are halfassing and purposely instituting crap. It was fans and guests who created the Universal we have today. The fact we are getting F&F is not only because its a Universal IP but as shown in multiple threads, people care way too much about the IP over the experience.

Stop looking at Orlando as the end all be all for what UC is capable of because its not even the best example of what they are capable of. They are way more capable than what currently is observed and do great with a lot of IPs outside of Potter that most in the US just don't care about that are Potter level without Rowling level control.

Reactions: JoeCamel
To do that, you need vision - Rowling rides UC hard and is unrepentant, at times hostiles, and if she was working for the company they'd report her to HR for being a meanie and hurting their delicate feelings.

Right. I’d say the only way you’re gonna get Potter or Nintendo level attractions from Universal properties where they don’t have slave driving creators on their back is if Woodbury or Coup get replaced. I think both of them are feeling a bit of heat, which is why we’re gonna end up with some different feeling attractions the next few years.

But they set the direction for the creatives

Reactions: JoeCamel
Right. I’d say the only way you’re gonna get Potter or Nintendo level attractions from Universal properties where they don’t have space driving creators on their back is if Woodbury or Coup get replaced. I think both of them are feeling a bit of heat, which is why we’re gonna end up with some different feeling attractions the next few years.

But they set the direction for the creatives

Nintendo's presumed quality is entirely because of the company's obsession with quality, its cultural background. They're far from perfect, but we will certainly know the reason why they thought something was a good idea and their measured rationale for it.

I literally see the same people on this forum reminiscing and praising the old Back to the Future ride but crap on Fallon which is a smoother, higher quality, and a better experience than BTTF ever was.

Because people are tired of Universal's overuse of the screen rides and BTTF just happened to be groundbreaking for Universal as the first major 3D simulator in its park, after Disney's Star Tours.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
My 1st concern came up after I rode the Hollywood version and immediately thought how much of a mistake it would be to base an entire attraction around that 360 scene. I'm not sure how long it is officially, but it literally felt like it lasted about 45 seconds.. Unlike a lot of people I didn't hate this ride, I just thought it was painfully short and i think a lot of guests are going to feel the same way.

My other concern is that this type of ride isn't the type that should be used twice in the same location. Yes, Spiderman and Transformers are the same ride system, but the experiences are different enough to where it's not distracting. With FF and Kong, even the general public is going to immediately notice how they're exact copies of each other. You get on a slow moving tram, you drive around a corner, look at a screen, and then you drive into a long dark tunnel and sit there as the tram bounces around.

I'm a fan of screen based rides and I still don't get the hate for them.. You just can't simulate speed any other way. But this one I feel should've been done at least SOMEWHAT differently. I'm a fan of the franchise and I think it deserves better.

I saw the concept art for the bus ride vehicle and I literally laughed. Nobody wants this. :lol:

The bus ride vehicle looks and reminds me of Earthquake/Disaster. Feels like an unofficial tribute to the previous attraction. I like it! Hope the ride is successful.

I almost wish it was 3D just to see what storyline reason they would come up with for the glasses. Going on the party bus and champagne will be sprayed everywhere so need to put on your "goggles" before boarding.

Last edited:
Up until this year, I would have called every ride we’ve gotten in between Potter rides good-to-great.

Minions (good)
Spidey redo (great)
Transformers (good/great)
Simpsons extension (great)
New Hulk (good)
And yes, I think Kong is a great ride. I like it a lot. Some people don’t, and that’s fine.

As for worrying about Universal’s reputation... I guess I don’t really care? If their only truly great rides come out of partnerships like Potter or Nintendo or LOTR...I’m more than happy with that, as long as their other output matches things like Kong and Transformers and not F&F and Fallon.
Spidey ride as a whole wasnt new, just new screens, same basic attraction not a new ride
Hulk, same exact track lay out, just new theme, cant say thats new ride
Simpsons extension is not a new ride

Its a reach for you to call those "new rides" in between potter rides.