Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

Seems the FCC threw out the rule against owning multiple outlets in the same market today. (Paving the way for Sinclair IMO) but maybe it will backfire with this.

If it were to backfire, wouldn't it backfire more of that floated around in past instances Time Warner/ATAT Merger that they tried to pass through in the past.

I would imagine that if it's more of the film studio assets, along with certain TV shows; they could be able to do something. However, I don't think all the assets of 20th Century Fox would be bought by Universal, and that some of it could go to the scrap yards for other buyers like Paramount, Disney, Warner, and maybe even Sony.

If it were to backfire, wouldn't it backfire more of that floated around in past instances Time Warner/ATAT Merger that they tried to pass through in the past.

I would imagine that if it's more of the film studio assets, along with certain TV shows; they could be able to do something. However, I don't think all the assets of 20th Century Fox would be bought by Universal, and that some of it could go to the scrap yards for other buyers like Paramount, Disney, Warner, and maybe even Sony.
It may be the difference between the macro of owning the media company or the micro of owning several outlets in the same market like Sinclair is trying to do. I see 21st Century Fox as being different enough from Comcast's core business that they can pass muster where Disney is not that different so this may skate by.

I don’t understand why Uni is going for his and not WB, but whatever

Content...their tv studios are prime grounds with top notch shows (This is US, Modern Family, American Crime Story), Fox Searchlight ties into Focus, Blue Sky ties into Dreamworks, it just works well with their business setup as well as provides their NBCU international branch more access with Fox's ownership of Sky.

I don't think they are looking at Fox for theme park as there are already rumblings of them looking at another big name studio which had fallen in decline in particular for their television department/IPs which also distributes some of Comcast's shows already.

Comcast's international presence is lacking compared to Fox and other companies and Fox has many of the foreign assets. In addition, Comcast also need a comic-book genre franchise since it's making billions of profits and hopefully would take away Universal's attention to the mess of the Dark Universe. They also look to expand NBCU’s Universal Pictures and Universal Television operations, with the addition of the FX channel process.

Comcast's international presence is lacking compared to Fox and other companies and Fox has many of the foreign assets. In addition, Comcast also need a comic-book genre franchise since it's making billions of profits and hopefully would take away Universal's attention to the mess of the Dark Universe. They also look to expand NBCU’s Universal Pictures and Universal Television operations, with the addition of the FX channel process.

Honestly, I doubt they will want the Marvel Film/Television rights. And that I can honestly see a deal giving Disney the Marvel film rights, the original Star Wars films, and the Avatar IP in general, while Universal keep's everything else and that Disney in turn gives Universal money.

Honestly, I doubt they will want the Marvel Film/Television rights. And that I can honestly see a deal giving Disney the Marvel film rights, the original Star Wars films, and the Avatar IP in general, while Universal keep's everything else and that Disney in turn gives Universal money.

We're gonna have to wait and find out what it has to offer to the table. However, Comcast is the only one of the few companies not to have produced superhero franchises, so if they buy out 20th Century Fox's assets, it will also have access to X-Men and the Fantastic Four should 20th Century Fox stay afloat since the rights to certain Marvel characters are non-transferable. Superhero movies and Marvel, in general, are popular so much it's hard to ignore. It would put them right back on the spot.

Like Disney I think this is another "FOX is shopping around" news less who's buying them. See all the rumors of who was buying Twitter last year.
Sometimes shopping around means that they are just trying to get a higher valuation from a potential bid so that they can borrow more or show an increase in their own valuation to stockholders etc.

Here's why Uni is interested: 1) very important live action movie franchises, 2) overseas assets, 3) Fox's 30% of Hulu would give either Comcast or Disney control (each owns 30% of Hulu).

Universal's main weakness is that it only has 2 major live action franchises in F&F and Jurassic. The rest of Uni's live action franchises are much smaller (i.e. Bourne and the rest).

Fox controls Avatar sequels, X-men, FF, Apes, and Aliens. That's a lot of strong franchises. It doesn't mean much for theme parks in my opinion.

Keep your eyes on the live action franchises, international assets (Sky and Star India), and especially Hulu. Neither Disney nor Comcast wants to only have 30% of Hulu while the other has 60% control.

Hulu is the 3rd largest video service behind Netflix and Prime. It's important.
Too problematic, I doubt WB is separable from HBO and Turner, and you end up with anti-trust problems all over the place trying to take over HBO and Turner.

If there ever is a break up of TW (i.e. if AT&T takeover fails), you'll end up with a huge bidding war for WB.

Last edited:
Here's why Uni is interested: 1) very important live action movie franchises, 2) overseas assets, 3) Fox's 30% of Hulu would give either Comcast or Disney control (each owns 30% of Hulu).

Universal's main weakness is that it only has 2 major live action franchises in F&F and Jurassic. The rest of Uni's live action franchises are much smaller (i.e. Bourne and the rest).

Fox controls Avatar sequels, X-men, FF, Apes, and Aliens. That's a lot of strong franchises. It doesn't mean much for theme parks in my opinion.

Keep your eyes on the live action franchises, international assets (Sky and Star India), and especially Hulu. Neither Disney nor Comcast wants to only have 30% of Hulu while the other has 60% control.

Too problematic, I doubt WB is separable from HBO and Turner, and you end up with anti-trust problems all over the place trying to take over HBO and Turner.

If there ever is a break up of TW (i.e. if AT&T takeover fails), you'll end up with a huge bidding war for WB.

Also, Universal currently lacks the superhero comic book franchise that 20th Century Fox, Sony, Disney, and Warner Bros. are cranking out, which is why Universal desperately tries to have the Dark Universe to mirror of that of the Avengers, which failed. Comcast buying 20th Century Fox along with X-Men and Fantastic Four would boost Universal and put the company in the superhero business. With Fox producing Deadpool II and the potential Dr. Doom and Mulitple Man movies, these franchises would easily incorporate into Universal's portfolio.

In regard that it doesn't mean much for theme parks, it has a LOT of potentials, considering Universal Orlando purchased additional lands near the Orange County Convention Center. Having Fox assets with many popular franchises would be a boost for Universal Parks & Resorts and Universal doesn't have to worry about licensing and copyrights. Planete of the Apes attraction, possibly a ride based on the Fantastic Four and X-Men (although Universal has the theme park rights, having Universal gaining X-Men and F4 rights would clearly boost its staggering MSHI), Aliens ride, etc. All that is needed for Site B so Universal wouldn't have to worry about licensing other companies' properties. It would also affect the plans for Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, and the upcoming Universal Studios Beijing. Fox assets would greatly boost the park. On the side note, Disney World has the theme park rights to Avatar and therefore Universal Orlando is not allowed to use Avatar in the same way Disney World isn't allowed to use certain Marvel characters.

Also, Universal currently lacks the superhero comic book franchise that 20th Century Fox, Sony, Disney, and Warner Bros. are cranking out, which is why Universal desperately tries to have the Dark Universe to mirror of that of the Avengers, which failed. Comcast buying 20th Century Fox along with X-Men and Fantastic Four would boost Universal and put the company in the superhero business. With Fox producing Deadpool II and the potential Dr. Doom and Mulitple Man movies, these franchises would easily incorporate into Universal's portfolio.

In regard that it doesn't mean much for theme parks, it has a LOT of potentials, considering Universal Orlando purchased additional lands near the Orange County Convention Center. Having Fox assets with many popular franchises would be a boost for Universal Parks & Resorts and Universal doesn't have to worry about licensing and copyrights. Planete of the Apes attraction, possibly a ride based on the Fantastic Four and X-Men (although Universal has the theme park rights, having Universal gaining X-Men and F4 rights would clearly boost its staggering MSHI), Aliens ride, etc. All that is needed for Site B so Universal wouldn't have to worry about licensing other companies' properties. It would also affect the plans for Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, and the upcoming Universal Studios Beijing. Fox assets would greatly boost the park. On the side note, Disney World has the theme park rights to Avatar and therefore Universal Orlando is not allowed to use Avatar in the same way Disney World isn't allowed to use certain Marvel characters.
The problem is we don't know what the Avatar-Disney agreement is, and that Disney has some form of veto power over what Universal can use as source materials for MSHI.

Maybe Comcast taking over X-Men and FF movie/tv rights would lead to a resolution on that end that could get wider source material usage for a refurbishment of MSHI but it's not clear.

As far as the rest, Apes and Aliens are interesting, but neither is going to really move the needle in terms of theme park attendance, but perhaps they could be usable in the next park.

Either way though, the attraction of the Fox assets is more for movie studio/tv studio market share and international assets and Hulu.

Fox doesn't own any theme park rights on the scale of Nintendo or LOTR in my opinion.

The problem is we don't know what the Avatar-Disney agreement is, and that Disney has some form of veto power over what Universal can use as source materials for MSHI.

Maybe Comcast taking over X-Men and FF movie/tv rights would lead to a resolution on that end that could get wider source material usage for a refurbishment of MSHI but it's not clear.

As far as the rest, Apes and Aliens are interesting, but neither is going to really move the needle in terms of theme park attendance, but perhaps they could be usable in the next park.

Either way though, the attraction of the Fox assets is more for movie studio/tv studio market share and international assets and Hulu.

Fox doesn't own any theme park rights on the scale of Nintendo or LOTR in my opinion.

Essentially Comcast really wants Fox Animation for adult animated shows, Endemol Shine Group for their international reality and game shows, the television studios, and lastly their distribution system. Film wise worldwide outside of Star Wars, Titanic, and Avatar, the higgest grossing franchise for them worldwide is ice age.

As for comicbooks they only get Xmen. F4 is produced by Constantin Films not Fox.

I know Comcast was looking to buy out Sony TV productions and that seems like a much better buy than what Fox is selling off. (Fox Searchlight may be viable though)

Is 'Fox' already split out...I mean, I could see Comcast wanting the studio/content, but is Fox TV a part of Fox...since Comcast has NBC and Disney has ABC, sports, news, cable, local...doesn't it all get wacky? Unless it is already just the movie studio??

Jim Hill talked about this in his latest podcast. If Disney bought Fox, it would give them some serious arsenal for their streaming service. If they could add Fox’s tv shows and movies, it could give them a fighting chance against Netflix if they could add Simpsons, Family Guy, Archer and Always Sunny.

Hell, if Comcast buy Fox, I’d love them to open a Paddy’s pub.

Is 'Fox' already split out...I mean, I could see Comcast wanting the studio/content, but is Fox TV a part of Fox...since Comcast has NBC and Disney has ABC, sports, news, cable, local...doesn't it all get wacky? Unless it is already just the movie studio??

Broken into Fox Entertainment Group, Fox Sports and Fox News. Disney and Comcast mainly want Fox Entertainment and not the rest.

The way it works is that Fox would keep Fox broadcast network and local tv stations/affiliates, Fox News and their Fox Sports networks.

That's because there are anti-trust issues (laws preventing companies from multiple broadcast networks, i.e. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS; no company can own 2 of them), as well as anti-trust issues with taking over Fox News or Sports.

Here's what's for sale: 20th Century Fox (the movie studio and tv studio including Fox Animation and Blue Sky), Star India and 39% of Sky, National Geographic and FX cable networks, and 30% of Hulu. Those are the most important parts of this sale.

I assume that since Disney World owns the theme park rights to Avatar, Universal Orlando couldn't use such franchise for its parks since the similiar deal also applies to Disney World and Universal Orlando for Marvel. I'm not saying that Apes and Aliens are gonna make the theme parks interesting, but given the entire Fox assets, Universal would easily select what popular since they don't have to worry about licensing and copyrights from 3rd party studios and they don't have as much of its own convincing IPs to choose from. They can worry about it less. Universal hasn't renovated MSHI since 1999.

Essentially Comcast really wants Fox Animation for adult animated shows, Endemol Shine Group for their international reality and game shows, the television studios, and lastly their distribution system. Film wise worldwide outside of Star Wars, Titanic, and Avatar, the higgest grossing franchise for them worldwide is ice age.

As for comicbooks they only get Xmen. F4 is produced by Constantin Films not Fox.

I know Comcast was looking to buy out Sony TV productions and that seems like a much better buy than what Fox is selling off. (Fox Searchlight may be viable though)

F4 is contracted to 20th Century Fox by Constantin Films since they need a distributor. It wouldn't matter anyways which Constantin Films contracted to so I say the effects remain the same. Fox would still do business or Constantin could contract Universal to do the F4 movie. As for the Sony TV productions, there isn't anything valuable it has offered to Comcast, as much as Fox TV and movie assets. Fox has the things most of us are still familiar with that most of Sony's TV lacks in comparison. Sony has the Preacher and that's pretty much about it. Fox has everything from Legion to Gifted to Archer to Simpsons to Family Guy to Prison Break to X-Files, etc. And people want a value and trustworthy entertainment, Sony TV doesn't offer much. Other than that, Comcast acquiring 20th Century Fox would boost Universal's TV production and is a great asset to the company, both as parent and as a subsidiary.

F4 is contracted to 20th Century Fox by Constantin Films since they need a distributor. It wouldn't matter anyways which Constantin Films contracted to so I say the effects remain the same. Fox would still do business or Constantin could contract Universal to do the F4 movie. As for the Sony TV productions, there isn't anything valuable it has offered to Comcast, as much as Fox TV and movie assets. Fox has the things most of us are still familiar with that most of Sony's TV lacks in comparison. Sony has the Preacher and that's pretty much about it. Fox has everything from Legion to Gifted to Archer to Simpsons to Family Guy to Prison Break to X-Files, etc. And people want a value and trustworthy entertainment, Sony TV doesn't offer much. Other than that, Comcast acquiring 20th Century Fox would boost Universal's TV production and is a great asset to the company, both as parent and as a subsidiary.

Stop looking stateside and look international with Sony TV....not everything is about domestic productions which Universal is already set.