Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

They just need to hold out a little longer and wait till Las Vegas is ready to replace their trains. Then they can buy the old used ones for a good price.

Have they ever replaced any of the monorail track or columns in the past 40 years?
Once the concrete is poured at the joints they are basically continuous sections six beams long with expansion joints at each end. From my understanding replacing anything would require replacing that whole section of beams. Part of the Express beam was replaced when the Epcot line was added to allow for the switch. As far as I know nothing has ever been replaced due to age or maintenance. Here's some info on the beams if you're interested.
Mass Transit - Walt Disney World Monorail : Mass Transit - Walt Disney World Monorail : Concrete Tech

Last edited:
you can't discontinue a transportation system without replacing it with an equal or better system. More Buses/Boats/and Minnie-Vans will not solve the problem. The gondola system will help, but it will become a band aid if monorail travel is stopped.

Disney just needs to bite the bullet and update the trains. Yes it's expensive, but it's completely necessary.

What is the age of the system in Disneyland? I know it is not tasked with travelling like these systems, but has it been upgraded/repaired beyond what WDW has done? I know there is talk of expanding the loop in DL to include a new resort, could they possibly use/borrow their trains while that work is being done? I can't imagine Epcot without the iconic monorail loop around SE.

What is the age of the system in Disneyland? I know it is not tasked with travelling like these systems, but has it been upgraded/repaired beyond what WDW has done? I know there is talk of expanding the loop in DL to include a new resort, could they possibly use/borrow their trains while that work is being done? I can't imagine Epcot without the iconic monorail loop around SE.

Disneyland at most operates 2 trains at a time. With I believe (3) total trains, so they are able to rotate their maintenance schedule. They won't move a train for temporary usage.

I wonder if the Epcot makeover will involve the removal of the in-loop track.

I believe nearly a decade old, they were replaced recently.

Disneyland is a whole totally different type of system. Their beamway is like a third the size of ours.

you can't discontinue a transportation system without replacing it with an equal or better system. More Buses/Boats/and Minnie-Vans will not solve the problem. The gondola system will help, but it will become a band aid if monorail travel is stopped.

Disney just needs to bite the bullet and update the trains. Yes it's expensive, but it's completely necessary.

Eh ... read the article, it's just the EPCOT line. Primary users are MK resort guests who, whether they realize it or not, would be better served by (efficient) bus service. Not a fan of the idea but given that these things are literally falling apart, seems like a way to buy two more years. Then they can decide gondolas or parking garage--in my mind, the only two feasible alternatives.

One has to wonder what Walt would do in this situation.

Surely if we're to lose the Epcot rail, something new should take it's place. I wouldn't mind the Skyliner on the same path.

WDW relies too much on the monorail both for moving people from the TTC to MK and also to sell expensive hotel rooms along the monorail line. The Epcot monorail is highly used as well.

I don't think they CAN discontinue the monorail. They can do a slow replacement of the 12 monorail trains though over, say, a two year period of time - exactly like they did from 1989-91 when the went from using the Mark IV's to the current fleet of Mark VI's.

EDIT: Just read the article and if it's the Epcot line they want to see them take down... I sadly could see that. Bouncing off of what Alicia said, I wouldn't mind the Skyliner doing the exact path that the Epcot monorail traverses.

Last edited: