Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is a character on a poster really too much worth fighting for though? Especially when there could be a deal to be struck? It's not 1990 anymore, Universal is pretty damn successful on their own. I'm not saying Universal should or should not do it, I'm saying I can see them doing it.

The point of the contract is for Disney not to be able to do it without a deal being struck, which means Universal holds leverage. And I don't see why that Comcast/Universal wouldn't want to see what they could gain with that leverage.

Reactions: Nick
Is a character on a poster really too much worth fighting for though? Especially when there could be a deal to be struck? It's not 1990 anymore, Universal is pretty damn successful on their own. I'm not saying Universal should or should not do it, I'm saying I can see them doing it.

The point of the contract is for Disney not to be able to do it without a deal being struck, which means Universal holds leverage. And I don't see why that Comcast/Universal wouldn't want to see what they could gain with that leverage.
I see your point, but still disagree. This isn’t just any character on a poster. This is a character with a mega hit movie with a sequel (both direct and indirect) coming soon. It’s not like it’s Lara Croft on that poster.

Are you saying that Universal may want to capitalize on the franchise in the future or that Uni should just hold onto it for the fact that Disney can make money off of it so now nobody can? It's funny, I'm not arguing that Disney can or can't do it or that Universal should give them the rights, I'm saying that it's possible a deal can be made. I still think Disney got the okay from Uni to do Guardians and they're looking for that on this as well.

I'm still not exactly 100% sure what anybody's point here is outside of "it will never happen and it shouldn't". Weren't we saying the same thing about Guardians and fussing over the families and what that meant in the contract a year ago? Yet this time it'll never happen because oh my god the character is featured in a collage on a poster oh my lord there's no WAY Disney will snatch up those rights!

Y'all act like Disney's gonna bully poor Universal into this but the reality is that lawyers have their meetings and deals can be made, amendments to contracts can be done. I think the Mouse has done enough in good faith and same with Universal. Sheesh

Reactions: Nick and JonsMovies
The thing with this whole argument, however, is that Uni really can't capitalize on the success of Black Panther. If they can only put out a M&G based on the cartoon representation, then who is going to line up to see that? I think they have a bargaining position to maybe get some updates or additions to MSHI out of this and should strike a deal based on that.

Reactions: Ryan
Since we did not see the Black Panther meet and greet in WDW like they have in DLR it's pretty clear that Disney has not yet had any talks with Universal about this. And they most definitely are not thinking they can use the character as it stands now, otherwise it certainly would've been here, just as Starlord and Dr. Strange were previously. Interesting stuff. Curious to see how this will they/won't they continues to play out.

Are you saying that Universal may want to capitalize on the franchise in the future or that Uni should just hold onto it for the fact that Disney can make money off of it so now nobody can? It's funny, I'm not arguing that Disney can or can't do it or that Universal should give them the rights, I'm saying that it's possible a deal can be made. I still think Disney got the okay from Uni to do Guardians and they're looking for that on this as well.

I'm still not exactly 100% sure what anybody's point here is outside of "it will never happen and it shouldn't". Weren't we saying the same thing about Guardians and fussing over the families and what that meant in the contract a year ago? Yet this time it'll never happen because oh my god the character is featured in a collage on a poster oh my lord there's no WAY Disney will snatch up those rights!

Y'all act like Disney's gonna bully poor Universal into this but the reality is that lawyers have their meetings and deals can be made, amendments to contracts can be done. I think the Mouse has done enough in good faith and same with Universal. Sheesh

Any deal for anything can be made, but there’s no positives for Universal to do it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Maybe if Disney has Fox properties to offer to Universal to make attractions based on in return, and Disney would only use Marvel characters not currently featured in existing IOA rides... Maybe I could see some sort of deal down the road. But Disney does not yet own Fox.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Idea.

At the moment, Disney is trying to make it even more difficult to leave property, and by doing so are going to prompt more people to base camp at Cabana Bay/Aventura.

It seems like a smart move for both resorts for the time being. Disney can allow their guests to visit Universal for a day or two or risk having them stay there for a week.

I think this just reinforces the idea that until Universal adds an extra park or two, Disney are viewing Universal as a two or three day trip.

Reactions: Disneyhead
It seems like a smart move for both resorts for the time being. Disney can allow their guests to visit Universal for a day or two or risk having them stay there for a week.

I think this just reinforces the idea that until Universal adds an extra park or two, Disney are viewing Universal as a two or three day trip.

Iron sharpens iron, right? The two resorts should have benefited through this type of interaction. Competition should make things better. UNI stepped up and continues pressing the battle. Disney is responding finally.

Superheros were my first love in life followed very quickly by Theme Parks specifically those in Orlando. Naturally I think they are the perfect match for each other, superhero stories are simple good vs evil told through a lot of intense motion and bright colors, the ideal Theme Park story really. Sadly I think they have been severely underused in parks, Six Flags has completely wasted the great DC characters, just sticking a load of paint and a statue in front of a generic roller coaster is a waste of these iconic characters and stories (although that new Justice League shooting ride seems neat).

And while I know it may seem controversial to some here I think Universal isn't doing much better, yes Amazing adventures of Spider-Man is amazing and my favorite ride in the world (except maybe Forbidden Journey) but other than that... three largely generic outdoor rides with a load of paint and some statues out front. Again I enjoy these rides, well not so much Doom as I'm not a fan of heights and drop rides, but they really could be so much more. And considering they have only added one Marvel ride since the park opened, when during that nearly 20 year time frame the Marvel characters have become more beloved and mainstream than ever, well it's just frustrating.

So I'm a fan of whatever gets me more rides that really utilize Superheros, I'd love to see Universal get the DC rights and do neat things with them, I'd love Islands of Adventure to add some great new Marvel rides, I'd love Disney World to be able to do more things with the Movie versions of the characters, I just want more. I know many here look at the coming Guardians of the Galaxy ride with disgust but I'm really excited I love those movies, indeed I'm the rare breed who loved those characters long before there was even the idea of a movie, So Disney bring on a Dr. Strange ride with Benedict Cumberbatch and a Black Panther ride with Chadwick Boseman, and Universal lets get that Iron Legion thing working and hey how about a cool X-Men ride with the 70's comics look.

I've got no dog in the race, Disney, Universal, Six Flags, you are sitting on the ultimate Theme Park Properties and it's past time to figure out how to make the most of them.

Superheros were my first love in life followed very quickly by Theme Parks specifically those in Orlando. Naturally I think they are the perfect match for each other, superhero stories are simple good vs evil told through a lot of intense motion and bright colors, the ideal Theme Park story really. Sadly I think they have been severely underused in parks, Six Flags has completely wasted the great DC characters, just sticking a load of paint and a statue in front of a generic roller coaster is a waste of these iconic characters and stories (although that new Justice League shooting ride seems neat).

And while I know it may seem controversial to some here I think Universal isn't doing much better, yes Amazing adventures of Spider-Man is amazing and my favorite ride in the world (except maybe Forbidden Journey) but other than that... three largely generic outdoor rides with a load of paint and some statues out front. Again I enjoy these rides, well not so much Doom as I'm not a fan of heights and drop rides, but they really could be so much more. And considering they have only added one Marvel ride since the park opened, when during that nearly 20 year time frame the Marvel characters have become more beloved and mainstream than ever, well it's just frustrating.

So I'm a fan of whatever gets me more rides that really utilize Superheros, I'd love to see Universal get the DC rights and do neat things with them, I'd love Islands of Adventure to add some great new Marvel rides, I'd love Disney World to be able to do more things with the Movie versions of the characters, I just want more. I know many here look at the coming Guardians of the Galaxy ride with disgust but I'm really excited I love those movies, indeed I'm the rare breed who loved those characters long before there was even the idea of a movie, So Disney bring on a Dr. Strange ride with Benedict Cumberbatch and a Black Panther ride with Chadwick Boseman, and Universal lets get that Iron Legion thing working and hey how about a cool X-Men ride with the 70's comics look.

I've got no dog in the race, Disney, Universal, Six Flags, you are sitting on the ultimate Theme Park Properties and it's past time to figure out how to make the most of them.

I think you are missing what International parks like Warner Bros Dubai or IMG has done with Marvel and DC characters.

Honestly, if there was any other property that actually would fit into Epcot (or DHS is you strain on what is used sofar), it's Doctor Strange. The Multiverse, parallel dimensions, matter, and environments make a great pad for what you can do for a indoor dark ride, and that it can be something that you can bring back the live action actors and not have issue, because it wouldn't be as much void to the Marvel Parks contract as what Black Panther would be for the East.

I do think Black Panther however, is likely at this point being hastened to replace that Spiderman Project for DCA's Marvel Land, as that actually does make sense with the Wakanda Research Center.