Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

This is going to be nice & convenient. It used to really bug me when I stayed at CBR, and I was always in a Jamaica or Aruba room, that Epcot was only about a two block walk away, but there was no way to get there. Instead, I'd have to drive for 15 minutes to get to the Epcot parking lot, and another 10 minutes for a tram. Finally, someone with a bit of common sense, making decisions.

I’m up at Whistler and ride my first gondola. As such, I could help but think about Disney’s new gondolas the whole time. Here’s how Whistler handles some of the things we’ve wondered about:

* You don’t have to unload/reload at every stop. The doors will open at every stop and you would have the option to disembark at every stop.

* As such, not every car is filled at every stop. If every car is filled at the first stop, nobody from subsequent stops could board. It seemed like stop 1 would only send up half of the cars with people in them?

* There’s no electricity in the gondola cab. That means no heating / cooling. I’m not entirely sure how you would run electricity to the gondolas safely.

* The gondola interiors are beyond basic. Think steel floor, steel benches, windows. They make the monorail look luxurious. Hopefully Disney will do a better job on the interior.

* The gondola goes surprisingly fast.

I’m up at Whistler and ride my first gondola. As such, I could help but think about Disney’s new gondolas the whole time. Here’s how Whistler handles some of the things we’ve wondered about:

* You don’t have to unload/reload at every stop. The doors will open at every stop and you would have the option to disembark at every stop.

* As such, not every car is filled at every stop. If every car is filled at the first stop, nobody from subsequent stops could board. It seemed like stop 1 would only send up half of the cars with people in them?

* There’s no electricity in the gondola cab. That means no heating / cooling. I’m not entirely sure how you would run electricity to the gondolas safely.

* The gondola interiors are beyond basic. Think steel floor, steel benches, windows. They make the monorail look luxurious. Hopefully Disney will do a better job on the interior.

* The gondola goes surprisingly fast.
Thanks but that is 10 years old and uses three ropes. One pull and two support. It is known for the longest span between supports (3km!)

It also has a capacity of 28 people, WDW will be 8. Have fun and don't break a leg. I used to ski when I was younger, Whistler is one of the best. But cold!!!

Thanks but that is 10 years old and uses three ropes. One pull and two support. It is known for the longest span between supports (3km!)

It also has a capacity of 28 people, WDW will be 8. Have fun and don't break a leg. I used to ski when I was younger, Whistler is one of the best. But cold!!!
There’s a couple sets of gondolas in Whistler. That gondola goes between the mountains. The gondola that goes up a single min gain has a capacity of 6 and seems newer?

The Peak to Peak gondola was built in ‘07 -‘08 by Doppelmayr with a hourly capacity of 4200

The Whistler Village Gondola was built in 1988 and was upgraded 2014 with new cabins built by POMA and is an 8 seater has a hourly capacity of 2800

The gondola @GadgetGuru is referring to is the Creekside Gondola built in 1996 by POMA which is a 6 seater has a hourly capacity of 2097

The Excalibur Gondola which services Blackcomb was built in 1994 by Doppelmayr and is an 8 seater has a hourly capacity of 2600

Whistler Blackcomb was my only “out west” skiing experience all other skiing experience was limited to NY. It is by far the best place to ski/snowboard in my opinion.

Sorry for getting so far off topic (still related though) maybe we need a winter sport thread.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about it until I picked up my Kennywood AP's last weekend, but Kennywood has had ski lift like gondolas connecting their upper parking lot (located on a distant hill) with the park itself for about two or three decades.

Was just listening to today's Disney Dish podcast and they were discussing the nightmare of what will become of International Gateway after RoE once the Skyliner opens.

Anyone else think maybe they will have to make that Skyliner station 'exit only' during RoE and afterwards each day?