Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
500' tall.

Would be better if it was at this, but looking at Cinderella:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

What restrictions might there be for big fireworks on this new property?

It's hard to know; I'm sure Tangelo Park will object, but given that they're going to be much further from the new parks than the Turkey Lake residential areas are to USF/IoA, it should be easier for Universal to have a big fireworks show at the new properties.

I'd just guess that it's much more likely Universal will be able to do a big fireworks display at the new park. The fact that the nearby residential zones are much further from the parks should help.

Lets hope they can. They have to go big on shows for this new resort. Disney has them sewn up in this area and has done for years. They need a nighttime spectacular to really compete with the mouse and be able to have fireworks would be a massive help. Lets hope they are up to it.

We will get an indication of what they can do with a new show with the USF lagoon project. Hopefully that is the start of Uni finally delivering something special in this area.

How far away from Disney are the nearest residential areas that would be effected by fireworks? closer or further than Uni and their new neighbours?

Last edited:
Lets hope they can. They have to go big on shows for this new resort. Disney has them sewn up in this area and has done for years. They need a nighttime spectacular to really compete with the mouse and be able to have fireworks would be a massive help. Lets hope they are up to it.

We will get an indication of what they can do with a new show with the USH lagoon project. Hopefully that is the start of Uni finally delivering something special in this area.

How far away from Disney are the nearest residential areas that would be effected by fireworks? closer or further than Uni and their new neighbours?

USH doesn't have a lagoon, but god that'd be nice.. :wave:;)

We will get an indication of what they can do with a new show with the USH lagoon project. Hopefully that is the start of Uni finally delivering something special in this area.

Yes. This is the one area that Disney really kills Universal on. Universal is so very far behind....I'd like to see Universal put in a dedicated stage & large seating area like Fantasmic at DHS.

Last edited:
I still don't think fireworks are necessary for a great nighttime show, but Park 3/4 are probably your only chance to actually get a true fireworks show.
The only show that has been able to prove that is World of Color. Rivers of Light laid a giant egg, Universal's shows have never been much good, etc. Fantasmic! is mostly theatrical with minimal fireworks, but the fireworks it does have are large. Reflections of Earth is also very theatrical, but also a heavy firework show.

Personally, I think Universal should try to put on the biggest fireworks show they are allowed to at their new park. They can't do much at IOA and USF in regards to fireworks so they need to use this new park as the park that can be their nighttime spectacular park. I talk to guests all the time that ask if Universal has a nighttime show like Magic Kingdom because they want to stay later and see something like that. I have to tell them no and they generally just end up leaving a lot earlier than they would've otherwise.

We will get an indication of what they can do with a new show with the USF lagoon project. Hopefully that is the start of Uni finally delivering something special in this area.

Distances are actually pretty similar for where we expect the 2nd resort's parks to be versus Magic Kingdom for example if we're talking about residential zoning distance to the parks.

It looks like a distance of a couple thousand feet; maybe a mile or so for both the 3rd dry park and Magic Kingdom.

So I do think it's reasonable to expect Universal to be able to have a significant fireworks show and a more significant "nightlife" at the south resort.

Given the south resort will eventually have more hotel rooms, and that they'll probably design the CityWalk 2.0 in a much more "open" fashion in terms of being able to bring in OCCC guests as well as the potentially larger number of on-site guests; it's reasonable to think that they'd do a better job of building a nightlife-aspect to the south resort.

Layout, hotel integration, etc. all plays into that. With the original resort, beyond the original design of 2 parks/CityWalk/3 hotels; there wasn't much of a setup for how the larger plot would fit into that.

The south resort will likely be planned much more holistically as to how all of the parts interact with each other.

I don't think Universal needs to try and out Disney Disney with the fireworks. Disney uses more fireworks than anyone else in the US. They own that and are showing projection mapping is another specialty. I do think Universal can do the mapping but if they went another direction (lasers?) I think they could carve out their own space. Fireworks are cool but a real pain to implement.

There's more than enough Potter in the main resort, that any more in Park 3 would not only be overkill, but honestly probably wouldn't bring in much more attendance or revenue than what they're already getting. A huge Lord of the Rings area, Mario, a DreamWorks Fantasyland-style area, and any original concepts/other properties they can pull up will be more than enough to fill out a new park.

There's more than enough Potter in the main resort, that any more in Park 3 would not only be overkill, but honestly probably wouldn't bring in much more attendance or revenue than what they're already getting. A huge Lord of the Rings area, Mario, a DreamWorks Fantasyland-style area, and any original concepts/other properties they can pull up will be more than enough to fill out a new park.
CLASSIC MONSTERS

Yeah, that's all good analysis.

This is basically a discussion that may have relevance for the late-2030s now that Universal has enough land to build on for the next 20 years.
I'm hoping they have a long term strategy of driving a bunch of these skeevy businesses out of the I-Drive district and spearheading an effort to bring some placemaking to the area, bring it up to the quality of International Drive south of Sand Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.