Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 149 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think this is the likely set up to keep the illusion and to maximize capacity. They do holds at each of the "P"s of groups of 6. They can add more as long as the next area isn't visible from the previous one. As long as the one before you has cleared the area before you move, they can keep an illusion that the group ahead of you is somewhere else. Once you go up the ramp, you'll never see anyone but CM's. You'll get a short wait at each spot to check things out and probably get instructions. I couldn't remember if there were 8 or 6 pods on each setup, but that, and ride time will affect how long you hold at each spot.

oclKQ3O.jpg

Pretty much what I was suggesting for the premium version for hotel guests. But as soon as CMs are standing throughout the Millennium Falcon, all illusion is destroyed. And pulsing people like that would destroy throughput. Everyone would want to do photo ops, stare around like a doofus, or stand around and say "This is why Disney is so much better than Universal, they don't rely on screens".

Assuming the fairly standard now 4 to 4.5 minute ride, if there are 6 pods in action, that's about 45 seconds, which is in line with my 400 people per pod per hour estimate.

I just think the expectation on this land are so out of whack. I sure hope they are all met, and Bounty Hunters follow me into the bathroom for shooting their friend's ship, and I see no one oustide my group while walking through the Falcon, and Battle Escape has Splash Mountain levels of animatronics, finally dethroning Spider-man. I really do. I just have my doubts. Disney can aim pretty low and still get 3 hour long waits. Hell, they can simply put in Soarin 3.0 with an extremely high resolution film and get people saying it's the greatest ride ever, and have 90 minutes wait for a very simple water ride with one animatron. If this land DOES meet the expectations, the crowds are going to be Harry Potter opening day for a year once the word gets out.

But even the whole "Fly the Millennium Falcon" hype can't be true. Well, it can be for one out of every 3 people. The Pilot's controls can go "horribly wrong" half way in, so the co-pilot takes over.

For the other 66% of the riders, this most certainly will NOT be "Fly the Millennium Falcon".

Maybe Disney will charge $30 extra for a Pilot FP for the ride.

I’m thinking it’s going to be like one of those movie based shooter arcade games, where you have the ability to drive/shoot etc in a minimal way, and really you can only do “surface damage” to the falcon, and occasiaonly blow up a enemy ship. The falcon ride vehicle moves at the same speed no matter what. If you hit a thruster maybe the screen gives you the sensation of moving faster, but you aren’t.

In the end it will be a high tech version of the midway type games, where you’re score is how much damage the falcon takes and how many tie fighters you shoot down.

Pretty much what I was suggesting for the premium version for hotel guests. But as soon as CMs are standing throughout the Millennium Falcon, all illusion is destroyed. And pulsing people like that would destroy throughput. Everyone would want to do photo ops, stare around like a doofus, or stand around and say "This is why Disney is so much better than Universal, they don't rely on screens".

Assuming the fairly standard now 4 to 4.5 minute ride, if there are 6 pods in action, that's about 45 seconds, which is in line with my 400 people per pod per hour estimate.

I just think the expectation on this land are so out of whack. I sure hope they are all met, and Bounty Hunters follow me into the bathroom for shooting their friend's ship, and I see no one oustide my group while walking through the Falcon, and Battle Escape has Splash Mountain levels of animatronics, finally dethroning Spider-man. I really do. I just have my doubts. Disney can aim pretty low and still get 3 hour long waits. Hell, they can simply put in Soarin 3.0 with an extremely high resolution film and get people saying it's the greatest ride ever, and have 90 minutes wait for a very simple water ride with one animatron. If this land DOES meet the expectations, the crowds are going to be Harry Potter opening day for a year once the word gets out.

But even the whole "Fly the Millennium Falcon" hype can't be true. Well, it can be for one out of every 3 people. The Pilot's controls can go "horribly wrong" half way in, so the co-pilot takes over.

For the other 66% of the riders, this most certainly will NOT be "Fly the Millennium Falcon".

Maybe Disney will charge $30 extra for a Pilot FP for the ride.
You really are a downer man.

So is it going to be screen domes or the windows being screens?
Maybe windows will be clear, which would allow the projections from the domes to be seen? Although I was pretty certain that due to the ride system and how you're pretty much just going in a circle, domes wouldn't be an option for this attraction so the windows would have to be screens.

So in short, I really don't know :lol:

I’d prefer real windows. Domes like around FJ size might be fine, that move with us on the turn table.
Ahhh.... and they would serve an extra purpose of blocking the view of the Falcon in front and behind you, so that you see your RV as the one and only Falcon.

Have we gotten a firm idea of how many Falcon cockpits are going to be on each of the four turntables? We're assuming in the 6 - 8 range, right?
I've heard 8. They can be added and removed individually though so you may be right at 6-8. I think max is 8, but there may be times where some are out and they aren't running at full capacity.

So is it going to be screen domes or the windows being screens?

Screen Dome, and this is actually confirmed in the test footage video from the blog mickey post around the 00:58 mark. The literal quote is.

"Now what's interesting about this, you'll notice there's a little bit of distortion as I move around. (He was moving the POV camera around.) That's because you're actually centered around the dome which is going to be projected right now in 4K."

This is probably exactly like FJ where the RV's are moving with domes on the turntable.

Screen Dome, and this is actually confirmed in the test footage video from the blog mickey post around the 00:58 mark. The literal quote is.

"Now what's interesting about this, you'll notice there's a little bit of distortion as I move around. (He was moving the POV camera around.) That's because you're actually centered around the dome which is going to be projected right now in 4K."

This is probably exactly like FJ where the RV's are moving with domes on the turntable.

Awesome, thank you.

Reactions: Joel

Didn't he say it was multiple projectors, each at 4K?

So, the ultra hyped up Millennium Falcon ride is essentially the screen sections from Forbidden Journey, at a higher resolution, and a few buttons added, and perhaps a tiny bit of control of the motion base at a few points.

Makes more sense that Universal is upgrading their projection again. At this point, I wonder if they will redo the entire film portions before next year, at Higher res, and somehow do some magic on the actor footage to upcomvert. A full Spider-man treatment. I never understood why FJ was grainy when it opened. It was made right at the crux of a resolution revolution.

Didn't he say it was multiple projectors, each at 4K?

So, the ultra hyped up Millennium Falcon ride is essentially the screen sections from Forbidden Journey, at a higher resolution, and a few buttons added, and perhaps a tiny bit of control of the motion base at a few points.

Makes more sense that Universal is upgrading their projection again. At this point, I wonder if they will redo the entire film portions before next year, at Higher res, and somehow do some magic on the actor footage to upcomvert. A full Spider-man treatment. I never understood why FJ was grainy when it opened. It was made right at the crux of a resolution revolution.
I feel like the Battle ride is the more hyped ride, but we're also talking about the Millennium Falcon so it'll be popular no matter what. We've known for quite some time that the Falcon ride was just going to be a heavy-screen based ride, which is why my expectations are low. It sort of reminds me of a next-gen version of Star Tours based on everything i've heard.