Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Oh no.. the track is looking pretty rusted. It could use a refresh haha.. But sadly, almost every coaster there needs the same.

But yea, the trains look terrible. With the Red Train being MIA, it better freakin return looking shiny & new!! haha

So this new thing will really be a Mack spinner? Ugh.

These mega spinning coasters are dumb but hey Six Flags needs to promote this as EXTREME so whatever

Screens need some looking at.
I've noticed its hit or miss. Sometimes they'll be visually crystal clear, other times they'll be a blurred mess (especially that last action scene).. Wonder if a 4K upgrade would fix the issues

So this new thing will really be a Mack spinner? Ugh.
These mega spinning coasters are dumb but hey Six Flags needs to promote this as EXTREME so whatever
It isn't known yet only fanboy speculation/rumors, but I'm sure they'll make the big announcement at the West Coast Bash event..

I... actually love spinning coasters? And Time Traveler is on my bucket list for coasters.

A spinning coaster is like walking a tightrope. The best iterations are the standard, short Mauer ones with tight curves and computer-controlled assist. Go too plain, it can make you sick (hi, spinning Wild Mouse!), go too extreme, it can also make you sick while taking away from enjoying the best parts of the ride. A Mack launched should be engineered in mind for airtime, speed and force, not a delirious disorientation.

IMO not everything needs a unique element to it, but seeing as Full Throttle and Superman exist in the same park, I guess Six Flags feels they need to have something new about this. Also I'm so glad that they're apparently getting another hyper coaster that doesn't do what a hypercoaster is supposed to do.

IMO not everything needs a unique element to it, but seeing as Full Throttle and Superman exist in the same park.
Two totally different types of launch coasters and experiences (one of which only lasts 30 seconds).. Full Throttle is at least a complete circuit track and does more than just launch you once. It does a double-backward/forward launch up & over the huge loop.

And if we're going to nitpick about Six Flags having 2 (completely different) launch coasters, then lets talk about parks that have more than one wooden coaster (doesn't matter if they're different, still wood). Hell... Universal Orlando has Mummy & Gringotts in the same park, they're more or less the same with different themes. Not in the same park but... Spiderman/Transformers. Disney with its spinners (Dumbo, Aladdin), Big Thunder Mountain/7 Dwarfs (both mine train coasters).

Just because rides share similar elements doesn't make one more inferior than the other (unless you're Superman... that is the lesser launch coaster)

It isn't known yet only fanboy speculation/rumors, but I'm sure they'll make the big announcement at the West Coast Bash event..

West Coast Bash? As in that TPR event? They're bringing that back? If so, let me know when, so I can totally avoid the parks that day. Or go and rent an EVC cart to drive in front of him all day so he can taunt me and my transgender friend on twitter. :D

West Coast Bash? As in that TPR event? They're bringing that back? If so, let me know when, so I can totally avoid the parks that day. Or go and rent an EVC cart to drive in front of him all day so he can taunt me and my transgender friend on twitter. :D
Actually, that would be the perfect day to go. Think of all of the trolling you can do to the big boy.

Two totally different types of launch coasters and experiences (one of which only lasts 30 seconds).. Full Throttle is at least a complete circuit track and does more than just launch you once. It does a double-backward/forward launch up & over the huge loop.

And if we're going to nitpick about Six Flags having 2 (completely different) launch coasters, then lets talk about parks that have more than one wooden coaster (doesn't matter if they're different, still wood). Hell... Universal Orlando has Mummy & Gringotts in the same park, they're more or less the same with different themes. Not in the same park but... Spiderman/Transformers. Disney with its spinners (Dumbo, Aladdin), Big Thunder Mountain/7 Dwarfs (both mine train coasters).

Just because rides share similar elements doesn't make one more inferior than the other (unless you're Superman... that is the lesser launch coaster)

Not really my point there, I'm talking about a variety/marketing perspective. Most parks try to add something new to their line-up that the GP hasn't seen before, and if not, will add a gimmick. See "What's in the Shed?" with Mystic Timbers since adding a new woodie, despite being GCI, a new manufacturer to the park would not seem as bold and adventurous to the GP who already had many major wooden coasters to ride in the park.

Six Flags is especially the most guilty of this, as they add coasters solely to capitalize on the marketing rather than the guest experience. Six Flags Magic Mountain is known for being "XTREME", and after you threw open a mega launched coaster with a giant loop, that would make this Mack launched seem possibly quaint to the general public. Thus, adding in the spinning element, suddenly the game is changed and guests are advertised something absolutely bonkers. Sure, it might be a less fulfilling ride overall, but the extreme thrill element will be provided. This is a part of why I don't necessarily like X2: it feels like a coaster manufactured to override your stimuli rather than providing a thrilling and fun experience.

This is a part of why I don't necessarily like X2: it feels like a coaster manufactured to override your stimuli rather than providing a thrilling and fun experience.

I'ma keep it real with you chief... you just blew my mind. I've never really thought about this, and the only coaster I could probably bring up to defend my argument in this is TC. Definitely something I haven't noticed but once I did I just went... huh. You got me there.

We are now six weeks away from an official Six Flags new attraction announcements for 2019.

The thing I'm still confused about. How does a racing theme fit a spinner coaster?

I've heard some rumblings that this may not be a spinning coaster. I don't who what to believe at this point. Lol

For now we just know this is a Mack. I guess the spinning can simulate drifting?

That's a possibility. I would think though that if it's a racing theme the coaster would emphasize speed like the Formula Rossa or Top Thrill Dragster. FR is the fastest coaster in the world at 150 mph, so the racing theme for that coaster makes sense.

Time Traveler tops out at 50 mph which is not that fast. For sure the one at SFMM would be faster, but I don't think by all that much. I'm seriously confused now.

If there is no spinning, I wonder what aspect of the ride will be marketable.

Good question. If it's not a Giga, Dive or Spinner, how would the park market the ride? I'm very, very curious.

Again this is if West Coast Racer is the new coaster name. It could also be Maxx Force or like Freak said none of the above.