Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 265 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is forgetting a potential "Holiday" area. Rudolph, Frosty, Hop...

But here's the thing, if we're going with "Fantastic Worlds" as a park name, the most logical narrative has the entrance area being a spaceport and the park's centerpiece as some sort of spaceship. Because "WORLDS."

SpielbergLand.

Attractions based off Jaws, BTTF, Ready Player One, ET...

your welcome.

Kidding aside, would Spielberg be involved in this park the same way he was with USF/IOA? I wonder if his contract was updated to include or not include a 3rd park?

Reactions: Magic-Man
I guess Iam the only one on here hoping for a classic universal movie section of the park going once....going twice. Jaws and Back to the Future are top popular to be kept away forever even though we haven't heard about it for decades.
You're not the only one who WANTS it. A whole lot of people just recognize the infeasibility of those properties returning and view the discussion of that happening as a waste of time.

You know what classic Universal movie would make a great ride?
3ef32055460519.5984e8c3e05a4.jpg

Reactions: Nico and Legacy
A good theme park consists of 6 main components: theming, customer service, capacity, IP utilization, technology, and merch/food. The perfect combination of all six lead to successful theme parks that people flock to. However, when a park is lacking in multiple components it leads to online sham (Six Flags). Even within a park if all 6 elements are not found, it is very distracting. Look at conversations on this site regarding attractions/areas to be replaced most of the lands being replaced don't have the criteria stated here. The weakest areas in certain Universal Parks currently are suffering for not meeting multiple of these criteria (Toon Lagoon, Lost Continent).

At the earning call, Universal mentioned across the board that content licensing was down. For a entertainment based company trying to sell franchises and brands, it is not a good thing. This leads me to believe Universal will double down more so on content they own vs outside properties. Boosting licensing is one of the big things that is why WB and Disney are such juggernauts in influence and recognition. There are five ways to fix that. Have the park only be Universal IPs, buy the properties or companies that own the IPs they want to use in the upcoming park, trade property rights (Has happened before), wait for them to become public domain, ot take the loss and give money to another company to use their IP for a certain amount of time before renewal.

Another thing mentioned during the conference call was the creation of this gate would potentially change a 2-3 day vacation to a full week. The usage of just the word "gate" instead of having that statement be gates really makes think there will be a level of depth to this park unseen in the other Universal stateside parks. It seems Comcast/NBCUniversal higher ups outside the park chain want to go really big. It was stated that UC and the parks got budget increases lately yet we haven't observed any of the money and where it is going. Lastly, with the name Fantastic Worlds, it suggests higher immersions and sizes of areas than simply a land.

With that, I will go into what I think IP wise will go into the upcoming park and why.

Nintendo World
I fully believe Universal will create an entire area dedicated solely for Nintendo and the land will be similar to the original Nintendo plans where all the IPs were in Kidzone. I expect all the 8 major IPs to be represented (Mario + DK, Zelda, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Pikmin, Splatoon, Pokémon) . The key reason here is actually Nintendo's own statements that release that keep mentioning that it's their goal to increase sales and awareness of IPs.

If they solely just do the most popular properties, they aren't doing any marketing to benefit the brands that need it more. It would make their entire plan and justification for using theme parks as marketing to begin with somewhat moot. This also ties into the rumors that came about of how Universal is now doing a Nintendo Only park and how Alicia mentioned that Pikmin presence was in the plans for Nintendo.

As for number of attractions and what I expect to see...I don't know. I do expect Mario Kart, DK mine cart, Yoshi Island, and the playgrounds. I also expect if they do an all encompassing land, a potential Smash Bros attraction of some sort.

Physical I expect a hybrid indoor outdoor land will also be what Nintendo World will become with certain IPs if they get attractions such as Animal Crossing, Metroid, and Kirby taking place indoors to take advantage of atmospherics. Pokémon I also suspect will be a substantial area.

Nintendo in general is an easy fit to create a good theme park land in regards to nearly every IP they own. Every IP they own is deep with world building, well themed and crafted, and abundant in food and merch opportunities.

Dreamworks World
I believe this is another guaranteed world that will be similar to Nintendo as a full encompassing land featuring Dreamworks flagship IPs. I think we will see Berk, Valley of Peace, Troll Forest, Far Far Away, Madasgascar, and potentially Voltron. The reason for potentially Voltron is the fact that its been one of Dreamworks best selling IPs in terms of merch and has a large vocal fandom. All of these IPs with the exception of Voltron and HTTYD are featured in the Dreamworks Theatre pre-show attraction at USH so it would make most sense if they are going to make a land, they would use all those areas in some regards.

The diversity within the IPs leads to something for everyone and each IP can bring something different to the table in terms of thrills/rides/level of attraction. I think the most prominent will be Far Far Away, Berk, and Valley of Peace lend themselves to big outdoor areas which as we may see Madagascar, Voltron, and Troll Forest in the form of indoor lands as a way to control the environment and lighting. If Voltron does come, I expect it just to be a very small area with the attraction being a reskin of Space Fantasy in USJ. I also expect Madgascar to also not be a huge area as well.

Foodwise, this has a rich catalog of options to choose from ranging from African to some that is out of this world. The biggest merch sellers I expect would be Voltron, HTTYD, and Trolls.

Holiday World (Halloween, Xmas, Other Holidays)
Two big seasonal moneymakers for theme parks are Halloween and Christmas. Heck, people even pay nowadays just go to through Holiday light displays.

If you go through Universal's history, the companies they are partnered with, and the IPs they own, Horror is one of their bread and butter. Additionally, if you look at the Dreamworks side, Christmas is huge on that end. Making a land based on two of the biggest holidays with properties they own makes a lot of sense. It also helps that Dreamworks has a film focusing on all the characters of the holiday seasons despite its lack of popularity could be used. If this was to happen, it would likely be an all indoor world (Halloween Area would always be night, Winter Area so it could snow, Holiday Central can change seasonally)

1. Halloween Street (Universal Monsters, Addams Family, Scooby Doo, Munsters, Gremlins, Alfred Hitchcock, House with A Clock in Its Wall, Paranorman, Coraline)
2. WinterTown (Frosty, Rudolph, Santa and all other things Holiday Wise)
3. Holiday Plaza (Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Lunar New Year, etc)

Halloween Horror Nights is a big money maker for Universal but at the same time, they have rights to a lot of "spooky" IPs that don't receive any representation at all in the parks despite the fact they would benefit and probably increase content branding if they were present. They have so many properties that could use in regards to a Halloween based area. It makes lot of sense to leverage a family area that is year round with not so scary attractions. Universal has some rights to Scooby Doo, I'm not sure if its for themed attraction but they have rights for meet and greets. The big 3 I would expect to see for sure are Universal Monsters, Alfred Hitchcock, and the Munsters...these three are the ones that Universal has multiple projects and are trying to revive so for synergy as well as has the biggest benefit of being nostalgic and boosting content licensing.

Thanks to Universal's purchase of Dreamworks which included Rankin/Bass properties, almost all the iconic Holiday characters now are under their umbrella (only Jack Frost and Heat Meiser are not). Those that are not may fall under public domain which would allow them to make their own. From Frosty, Chris Kringle, Rudolph and associated characters, Universal now has full access.

Holiday Plaza is just an area where other holidays are represented with the plaza decorations changing for holiday with restaurants, shops, shows and meeting and greets based off all the other holidays.

FanWorld (Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Adventure, Animation)
Comcast and NBCUniversal has invested a lot in the past two-three years in Comic-Con, Esports, and other fandom based entities. I would not be surprised due to the proximity of the convention center if they made a world based off the things people go to conventions for.

Essentially Comic Con, Mega Con, Wonder Con, etc in theme park form. Celebration of all things nerdom, geekdom, fandom. The level of programming changes in the past twenty years has rapidly changed with Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure and animation moving way more into the mainstream than it was before and being heavily prevelant at these events. It would be wise to create a 4 section world highlighting those 4 main domains with certain IPs etc being represented.

Sci-Fi City is simple. I would assume Godzilla, Battlestar Galatica, superheroes and other science fiction based non Disney/FOX ip being used here.

Fantasy Valley/Adventure Grotto also quite simple as this can add in Fantastic Beasts (which I hope doesn't come), GoT, Jumanji, Princess Bride, etc. Anything magical/falling under adventure would go in this area

Animation Park: celebration of all animation ranging from all different types. Animation is simple, easily translates into theme park, and one of the only truly profitable field. They can take IPs from all over for this. Warner Bros, Sony Animation, Illumination, Dreamworks properties not used in other areas, anime, etc.

Park Hub/Entrance
With the introduction of Tapu Tapu, Virtual line, queueless lines, and Hogwarts express....I would assume the way this park will be set up possibly may be unusual. Normally in books and movies, you usually just don't walk into another world, there is a lot more things you have to do to get there. I wouldn't be surprised if UC decided to up the creativity and make it so you couldn't easily walk world to world but had to way to use alternative methods to get to each one.

As to the main weenie, i'm kinda at a loss. These are just my personal thoughts and reasonings.

Last edited:
It would be insanely shortsighted to first build a flat parking area and later invest in a garage. Universal is going to use every single inch of this land and with the prices the theme parks ask for parking I'm sure they write it off in less then 2 years. No need for those awefull smelly trains to move people around and added shade and comfort for guests and workers. Building flat parking space like Disney does is short sighted for sure.
You do realize that this is how the current resort was first built, right? USF had a flat parking lot before there was a second park.

That said, i'm pretty sure they're going to plan out how they want the resort to look IF they ever get to four dry parks (and that's a big if). They will open UO South with a Parking garage, it will just be situated based on how/where they would want to build another park should they choose to do so.

I guess I’ll throw my hat in the ring and try to predict the next park:

If the 4-5 lands idea is true, then I would design the park with a hub and spoke model. The entrance area would have something to do with crossroads, with a huge icon and meet and greets with characters Universal has the rights to but wouldn’t necessarily fit into any of the lands.

One “world” would be Nintendo. The Crossroads area would lead into a Nintendo hub themed towards Super Smash Bros, encompassing the entirety of Nintendo. Then, that area would lead into 2-3 lands SNW: Mushroom Kingdom, SNW: Hyrule, and either Splatoon/Kirby or save it for another property Nintendo may make (or Pokemon if it doesn’t end up in an existing park).

The next world would be Dreamworks, and this is where my idea of hub and spoke to themed hub falls apart since I can’t think of anything to theme it around. This world would lead into a Trolls/KFP area (assuming one of them ends up in Kidzone),Berk, and Far Far Away.

The 4th world I can think of would be a Universal Classics section. The hub for this area would be something generic and it would lead to a Universal Monsters section and Ready Player One area that would be able to fit a ton of IP’s and references like BTTF and other timeless Universal IPs, with a dark ride using the Spider-Man ride system, but heavily updated. The Universal Monsters is pretty self-explanatory in its general idea, but I have no clue how to make a ride or themeing for this one, but I have a good feeling this will be in the park somewhere.

The last world would be a futuristic world, fitting all of Universal’s Sci-Fi IP’s. I honestly have no clue what specifically would go in this area.

The rest of the remaining land would be reserved for expansion and backstage. I’m not an expert on all of Universal’s IP’s, but I do think that the best way to organize the park is the way I described.

You do realize that this is how the current resort was first built, right? USF had a flat parking lot before there was a second park.

That said, i'm pretty sure they're going to plan out how they want the resort to look IF they ever get to four dry parks (and that's a big if). They will open UO South with a Parking garage, it will just be situated based on how/where they would want to build another park should they choose to do so.
I know but you ignored the fact the company that is Universal Studios now isn't the same as the one that originally created the park. Comcast is here to take over the Orlando theme park market and has deep pockets and a grand vision to get the results they want. Side B is created as a whole on paper and not rolled out in parts. It's a waist of money to pave parking lots and then rip them up to replace them with garages.

I know someone else said it about the hub leading to worlds and planets and I feel this should happen. Each world should have a portal you walk through think SNW warp pipe.

It would be great if we would enter the park trough a fantasy harbor village (not unlike IOA). In the harbor are boats that fit the worlds represented but stylized to fit the harbor.

It would be great if we would enter the park trough a fantasy harbor village (not unlike IOA). In the harbor are boats that fit the worlds represented but stylized to fit the harbor.

If this is set up like Universal Studios Beijing where the entrance doubles as a hotel....I would not be surprised if it gets expanded into being the hub themed as a station/terminal of some sort with whimsical and unexpected theming elements.

It also ties into some statements made previous that Universal wanted to do something with a hotel like what Disney is doing with Star Wars.

Reactions: tielo
Updated predictions (yet again)

• Super Nintendo World: Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros.
  • Warner Bros. Country: Looney Toons, DC Comics, Ready Player One
  • Wizarding World of Fantastic Beasts
  • DreamWorks Island: How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek, Trolls, Abominable
  • Foreign Lands: Classic Monsters, North Pole, WaterWorld.

I don't know if they would fit together but I have been looking at up coming movies and wondering if a creepy family themed area might be something for the future. Universal has House with a Clock in its Walls coming out this year, Spooky Jack(2021) from Dreamworks/Blumhouse, and Five Nights at Freddy's from Blumhouse. I know some people on here might groan at FNAF but with Blumhouse being on a roll and Chris Columbus involved I think it has that chance at really being something.

Status
Not open for further replies.