T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread | Page 114 | Inside Universal Forums

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The only details I know about the show, pretty much, have come from here. And that it is a mixed media, meaning some screens, Bourne themed stunt show with lots of gun play.

Alright, been thinking it for months, someone has to say it ... this thing could have a real "Purge" problem. 007 is fine, lots of lasers and deadly bowler hats and explosions, the whole series is kind of fantastic, with Q's gadgets often bordering on sci fi. But a show based on a more realistic IP with lots of gun play--it's going to get lit up on social media following the next gun-involved tragedy in central Florida. Why go in this direction instead of singing animals or something equally innocuous? It's not like Bourne is a hot IP that will move a ton of merch.

Alright, been thinking it for months, someone has to say it ... this thing could have a real "Purge" problem. 007 is fine, lots of lasers and deadly bowler hats and explosions, the whole series is kind of fantastic, with Q's gadgets often bordering on sci fi. But a show based on a more realistic IP with lots of gun play--it's going to get lit up on social media following the next gun-involved tragedy in central Florida. Why go in this direction instead of singing animals or something equally innocuous? It's not like Bourne is a hot IP that will move a ton of merch.
Not to drag this into a political discussion, but I have had the same thought. Glorifying guns right now seems a little tone deaf. Particularly in Orlando after 5 Universal TMs were killed at Pulse.

Which really isn’t going to glorify it. Would guess they would talk about gun safety if it was a stunt show.

:freak::rock:
Universal Studios should avoid another “Fast and Furious” situation, where the replacement is almost the same as the preceding attraction, but worse.
You may be on to something. Some 'rumor' was that after the dismal opening failure of F&F that Universal made some tweeks to the show so it wouldn't look so similar to F&F, as was happening. The show may have been too far in the process to go to an alternative as supposedly some wanted, but changes were reportedly being made to make it a bit different.

Does MiB "glorify" shooting?

No, it's laser blasters, aimed at cartoonish aliens. Why I was careful to point out the violence in 007 feels more fantastic/almost sci fi, I think Bond would be fine (ditto cowboys with six-shooters). The idea of a realistic IP heavily featuring real world guns is what concerns me.

Not to drag this into a political discussion, but I have had the same thought. Glorifying guns right now seems a little tone deaf. Particularly in Orlando after 5 Universal TMs were killed at Pulse.

I don't think it's political so much as culturally tone deaf, like you say. Not like they didn't have to re-do a Purge scare-zone previously.

This isn’t the audience being shot and hunted like the Purge. It’s a stunt show of an action movie that uses weapons. Really nothing insensitive about it. Action movies are being made still with gun violence and no issues have arisen.

Reactions: tankart150
:freak::rock:
Universal Studios should avoid another “Fast and Furious” situation, where the replacement is almost the same as the preceding attraction, but worse.

...you're assuming it's going to be worse.

As for the "controversy" part, I don't see it. Purge revels in the violence/death of innocent people. Spy/action movies don't. Apples and Oranges.

This isn’t the audience being shot and hunted like the Purge. It’s a stunt show of an action movie that uses weapons. Really nothing insensitive about it. Action movies are being made still with gun violence and no issues have arisen.
Punisher on Nexflicks had it debut delayed because of the Las Vegas Massacre and then was slammed for glorifying guns...and being boring.