Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 450 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The enclosed spike idea was pure fan speculation from the get go, nothing was cut. If you want to look at cuts on a themed coaster, go look at 7 dwarves mine train.

The enclosed spike idea was pure fan speculation from the get go, nothing was cut. If you want to look at cuts on a themed coaster, go look at 7 dwarves mine train.
It was originally permitted as a building, so pretty sure it was more than speculation.

Agree though, Mine Train is a better example of a cut that actually made a huge difference to the ride. I still like it, but could've been a lot longer.

EDIT: There were 8 new buildings originally permitted for the project at the start: Maintenance, the 3 small support buildings, round structure, drop track building, the addition to the queue building near start of ride, and the spike enclosure. So far, all of the other buildings were built, only one was not.

Last edited:
From the jump, I knew it would surpass all of our expectations. WB/UC/JKR always has. Every single time. No one thought FJ would be as amazing as it was. Even after the leaks, No one thought Diagon would be at that level. This won’t be any different.
As amazing as you think it will be now, it’ll be even better after you ride it.

Little cuts like an enclosed spike may or may not make a difference. It would be cool to know and ride what it would’ve been vs what we get, but unfortunately we won’t get that. But I still think this will be the best coaster in the world, like I’ve said from day 1.
i agree with this
all projects have some cuts who cares its gonna be an incredible attraction

I hope that they plant tall pines surrounding the spike. Shooting up into the treetops would be exhilarating.
From what they did on the backside of it, I imagine that is what we're getting.

This isn't the first change to the spike we've heard about either. There were reports that the brakes weren't needed at the top, weren't there? If there were brakes up there, there was probably going to need to be stairs and an emergency evacuation route from the top. Without brakes up there, there's no need for that, as we'll just roll down to the brakes below and evac on the ground.

This may have been cut for story reasons as well, making it all the more unique when the first time we enter a dark place is for the forest/devil's snare, making that climatic scene more special. Just a thought.

From what they did on the backside of it, I imagine that is what we're getting.

This isn't the first change to the spike we've heard about either. There were reports that the brakes weren't needed at the top, weren't there? If there were brakes up there, there was probably going to need to be stairs and an emergency evacuation route from the top. Without brakes up there, there's no need for that, as we'll just roll down to the brakes below and evac on the ground.

This may have been cut for story reasons as well, making it all the more unique when the first time we enter a dark place is for the forest/devil's snare, making that climatic scene more special. Just a thought.

Great point.

Isn’t it entirely possible that it was only going to be enclosed/have a building structure due to emergency exit? Then when the brakes were cut, the exit stairs/building was no longer needed?

Great point.

Isn’t it entirely possible that it was only going to be enclosed/have a building structure due to emergency exit? Then when the brakes were cut, the exit stairs/building was no longer needed?
This is my new theory. Because there were definitely brakes in the original plans, and I don't think we ever saw any installed up there. Right?

Man, can you imagine how long evac'ing would take with people on their backs up there, climbing down 4 or 5 flights of stairs? Yikes. Dodged a bullet if you ask me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the launch just before the spike looks to be in somewhat of an underground "tunnel".

So if that's the case, we won't even see the spike coming until we shoot out of launch 4.

To me, the spike not being enclosed then is fine from a "theme" perspective. We shoot out straight into the air (why would would we shoot out into a 'cave' ???? as someone else pondered) , bike stalls in the air like in the movies (and as noted by others we might get the bike stalling sounds or whatnot), and then we free fall backwards.

All is fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the launch just before the spike looks to be in somewhat of an underground "tunnel".

So if that's the case, we won't even see the spike coming until we shoot out of launch 4.

To me, the spike not being enclosed then is fine from a "theme" perspective. We shoot out straight into the air (why would would we shoot out into a 'cave' ???? as someone else pondered) , bike stalls in the air like in the movies (and as noted by others we might get the bike stalling sounds or whatnot), and then we free fall backwards.

All is fine.

yeah, i also thought it was weird that you would be going straight up in the middle of a cave. I would have to be a rather tall cave for it to look right.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
yeah, i also thought it was weird that you would be going straight up in the middle of a cave. I would have to be a rather tall cave for it to look right.
More like a building with rockwork around it and a cave entrance. Good news is we still get the cave entrance/rockwork, so the spike will come as a surprise probably.

Reactions: Ryno27
This is my new theory. Because there were definitely brakes in the original plans, and I don't think we ever saw any installed up there. Right?

Man, can you imagine how long evac'ing would take with people on their backs up there, climbing down 4 or 5 flights of stairs? Yikes. Dodged a bullet if you ask me.

Right, it could have been as simple as Intamin saying "here is where the brakes will stop the vehicle, you'll have to have an emergency exit here with stairs for evac, then it rolls back, etc"

Then Jim comes back 3 weeks later and says "What if we just did a delayed stall and no brakes? Then we wouldn't have to have the emergency exit at that location"
"Great idea Jim. Intamin, is that possible?"
"Yup"
"Great. So which trees did we want at..."

-----

Regarding the "cave" aspect, it could have been a cave with a hole in the middle. Plenty of caves with roof exits. That was likely the idea. Just because we knew a "building" and foundation were there doesn't mean the building didn't have a hole in the middle of it.

Reactions: truejonas
You know, I'm reading everything about this ride.. and I'm still not even sure if I'll be riding or not. (not a coaster guy) :afraid:

Status
Not open for further replies.