Disney+ | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Whoa- how much is that a month? Do the math (or don't!).

I haven't really put all my subscription numbers down either. I know our generation has pushed for dedicated pricing instead of bulk pricing that the cable companies offered. But we might have cut our noses off to spite our face. At least the cable companies could've argued pricing down on our behalf as a medium while taking their cut. But if this $10+/mo pricing structure continues, there might be a day we're longing for our $70/mo cable bill.

Netflix, Amazon Video, WWE Network, Progress, NJPW World, Sky+ & Spotify

£10+£8+£9+£7+£7+£42+£15

Would be more than happy to lose the £42 Sky bill if I can get football elsewhere

Reactions: Andysol
That's pretty expensive, especially after converting to dollars.

That might also include broadband.

I think the U.K. has relatively cheap broadband and mobile prices compared to the US from what I can see.

Surely there's a streaming service in the UK for soccer?

Football is expensive to watch here. When I cancelled all my sports channels and the guy asked why, I said it was cheaper to go to the pub and watch it and have 4 pints every time there was a game on.

To get full access it’s about £50 a month and even then, that’s a limited amount of games.

Disney announced that they may buy third party content rights (not Disney/Fox) for Disney+ if the price is right.

It’s insane how much money they’re dedicating to this service.

If they don’t become the size of Hulu/HBO within the first 6 months, it’s gonna be a disaster.
It may seem insane, but it's really the only way to compete as a new streaming service in today's day and age. Hell, Netflix spends money they don't have on content and Wall Street loves them because the subscribers are there.

It may seem insane, but it's really the only way to compete as a new streaming service in today's day and age. Hell, Netflix spends money they don't have on content and Wall Street loves them because the subscribers are there.
Wall Street loves Netflix because the subscribers are there.

If Disney can’t pull in subscribers (price, reliability, no killer show), Disney is in huge trouble. The financial issues will probably bleed through to the parks, which will be awful.

It seems like most of building a streaming service is finding one killer show. Netflix has quite a few. HBO has Game of Thrones. Hulu has Handmaid’s Tale. CBS streaming is solely being kept alive from Star Trek for the moment. Amazon is looking for their killer show (Lord of the Rings?) and Disney needs one desperately. Maybe it’ll be the Star Wars show, maybe something else.

Wall Street loves Netflix because the subscribers are there.

If Disney can’t pull in subscribers (price, reliability, no killer show), Disney is in huge trouble. The financial issues will probably bleed through to the parks, which will be awful.

It seems like most of building a streaming service is finding one killer show. Netflix has quite a few. HBO has Game of Thrones. Hulu has Handmaid’s Tale. CBS streaming is solely being kept alive from Star Trek for the moment. Amazon is looking for their killer show (Lord of the Rings?) and Disney needs one desperately. Maybe it’ll be the Star Wars show, maybe something else.
As far as the price/reliability/killer show thing goes, let's break it down just a bit...

- Price: Iger has said the price point will be below Netflix and around the $6-8 range. So that's a good starting point to entice people to subscribe.
- Reliability: No doubt a HUGE factor, but Disney has BAMtech working on this and they are no stranger to building interfaces to apps for streaming services like this. The
have built the streaming service app/interface for the MLB, NHL and NBA and have also built out streaming services for WWE Network, Playstation Vue and ESPN+. So Disney theoretically should be fine here.
- "Killer Show": You never know which shows are gonna hit or miss so starting out with a large amount of shows allows them to have enough that they are catering to many different audiences with the shows/movies in development and also give themselves the chance for that killer show by having so many out there. They will draw Star Wars fans, Marvel fans, Disney fans, Sister Act fans (seriously, Sister Act 3 is in development for the service). They just have a lot of ways to reach different demographics.

As far as the price/reliability/killer show thing goes, let's break it down just a bit...

- Price: Iger has said the price point will be below Netflix and around the $6-8 range. So that's a good starting point to entice people to subscribe.
- Reliability: No doubt a HUGE factor, but Disney has BAMtech working on this and they are no stranger to building interfaces to apps for streaming services like this. The
have built the streaming service app/interface for the MLB, NHL and NBA and have also built out streaming services for WWE Network, Playstation Vue and ESPN+. So Disney theoretically should be fine here.
- "Killer Show": You never know which shows are gonna hit or miss so starting out with a large amount of shows allows them to have enough that they are catering to many different audiences with the shows/movies in development and also give themselves the chance for that killer show by having so many out there. They will draw Star Wars fans, Marvel fans, Disney fans, Sister Act fans (seriously, Sister Act 3 is in development for the service). They just have a lot of ways to reach different demographics.
I've said repeatedly that nothing in Disney+ has the simultaneous streams of Wrestlemania. From a tech standpoint, the work's been done, and it will be fine.

I've said repeatedly that nothing in Disney+ has the simultaneous streams of Wrestlemania. From a tech standpoint, the work's been done, and it will be fine.

Yeah, I see no reason to panic for how Disney intends to handle the streaming service.

..If anything, I'm intrigued to see if they play a card to where they have a deal that combines Disney+ with ESPN+ in a Multi-Pack.

Once Upon a Time's Steven Pearlman & Quantico's Michael Seitzman are working together, on an exclusive Villains show; exclusive to the platform.

...so to add to the list of interest,

Film
  • Lady & The Tramp
Television
  • The Mandalorian
  • Ink & Paint
  • The Clone War's
  • Rogue One Prequel Series
  • Monsters Inc Animated Project
  • Muppet's Live Another Day
  • Loki
  • The Vision & Scarlet Witch
  • WDI Docuseries
  • Disney Villain's
And that's not counting other projects currently in some form of development.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristopherSE
Price is increasing slowly...not planning to open at 6-8 dollars at start.
Probably in part bc Netflix just increased their prices. Higher prices at Netflix means Disney/Comcast/Warner can get away with higher entry prices and still be successful.

Reactions: HPFred
Speaking as someone working in the industry: the perception is Disney is the only entity with the critical mass capable of originating and sustaining compelling content worthy of an individual subscription price outside of the big 3 (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu).

We'll see if they botch this, but the industry expectation is they will become the #2 to Netflix within a year or so of launch.