Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in other words, construction (or at least earthmoving) has finally begun?

They've been doing Land Prep for a good while now.

...I'm guessing, they are getting started sooner than later on land roads/infrastructure, before moving forward on the park/resort areas.

If they are wanting to get it ready by the end of 2022/early 2023, then odds are that they are likely going to need to focus on getting that site ready for heavy duty. Beijing had to do that, and I'd presume it would have to be done here as-well.

Reactions: Dhdhddh
Is the leading rumour still that the opening will take place in 2022?

2021 was possible for most of last year but now 2022 is the earliest it could open. As it’s going to take at least two years to build and a year of grading the land before that can start.

I’m falling into the 2023 camp now as well. It could be done sooner but I don’t think Universal are in a rush and if it results in a better park then it’s worth it.

2021 was possible for most of last year but now 2022 is the earliest it could open. As it’s going to take at least two years to build and a year of grading the land before that can start.

I’m falling into the 2023 camp now as well. It could be done sooner but I don’t think Universal are in a rush and if it results in a better park then it’s worth it.
Doesn't help that the roads to get to it won't be done until 2025 either. Green light for Kirkman Road extension that promises to create jobs, new developments - Orlando Sentinel

I'd agree that there is still another year of land grading and county approvals/permits before they start major construction. And given that most recent theme park lands have taken a minimum of two years build, I'd expect that a full park will require 3 years making 2023 the most likely opening.

I can't view the article right now but my understanding is that the grant money they got requires construction to finish by 2025, not that it will necessarily take that long. (And a project of this scale really shouldn't take more than 2-3 years.)

I can't view the article right now but my understanding is that the grant money they got requires construction to finish by 2025, not that it will necessarily take that long. (And a project of this scale really shouldn't take more than 2-3 years.)
True, but it isn’t scheduled to start until next year. Thinking 2023 for the Kirkman expansion — as well as the new theme park — feels about right to me.

I'd agree that there is still another year of land grading and county approvals/permits before they start major construction. And given that most recent theme park lands have taken a minimum of two years build, I'd expect that a full park will require 3 years making 2023 the most likely opening.

I don't think the construction of this park will be comparable to anything else before it. We're now in a new golden era of theme park design with hyper theming and attention to detail. Add the rumours about there being multi level areas and 3 years is perfectly reasonable.

I agree I am also in the camp of it being 2023 with both @Alicia & @Scott W. So 2023 is what I am thinking. Also, when do we expect the warehouse and office buildings will go Vertical? Or, they will probably build the park and the backstage buildings at the same time as the park, or would they want those done before the park is finished building. Either way I can't wait for it, so glad I decided to move to Orlando.:freak:

Reactions: Dhdhddh
I'm going to be the villain this time. I'm guessing 2024. Probably a stupid guess (also called "SWAG") but I don't think that it will be before then. I will, of course, happily be wrong. Even ecstatically incorrect.

Reactions: Legacy
I'm going to be the villain this time. I'm guessing 2024. Probably a stupid guess (also called "SWAG") but I don't think that it will be before then. I will, of course, happily be wrong. Even ecstatically incorrect.
I'm not currently in that camp but I think 2024 is a better guess than 2022.

Reactions: Nick and Legacy
I'm not currently in that camp but I think 2024 is a better guess than 2022.
I agree. I think people are expecting this to happen much quicker than it likely will. It's not like they are just tacking on a park to an existing resort, they are building an entire new resort from scratch, with a new citywalk type area, presumably a few hotels, all the roadways that go along with this (as it will completely transform this area forever as far as traffic flow goes). They also have to get people from Point A to Point B (UO North and South). There will be bus lanes, but I still think there's a chance that if they work with the city/county long enough, they can get some sort of alternate transportation in place. Maybe a PRT or Gondola that also goes and stops at the OCCC and I-Drive 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.