Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Lion King (Live-Action)

So... definitely a beautiful re-creation of an iconic film, but are they changing the story by adding other elements or songs, or is this simply a nice redo?

Being one who loves the films and the Broadway musical, this is nothing but a Hard Pass.

Yes, it looks pretty. But there's a nasty Catch 22 to photo-realistic CGI like that...

You're not going to get the same kind of expressions/emotions out of the characters. Just look at Beauty and the Beast and you'll see the remake beast was nowhere near as expressive as his animated counterpart.

On top of that, Scar sounded bored. Not menacing, nor dark with a bit of sass. Bored. Add in there won't be "Be Prepared", and a well known villain is neutered.

I'm getting real tired of these remakes, and what hurts is this'll make a easy billion, telling Disney that -this- is what they want more of.

I'm not seeing anything in that trailer that will get me in the theater to see this.

Then again, I've never been the biggest fan of the original LION KING. I tend to think it's the most overrated (not bad, still good, just not the end all, be all) of all the Disney Animation Renaissance period.

I'm not seeing anything in that trailer that will get me in the theater to see this.

Then again, I've never been the biggest fan of the original LION KING. I tend to think it's the most overrated (not bad, still good, just not the end all, be all) of all the Disney Animation Renaissance period.

Plus, it won't have James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons doing the voices. Broderick was fine as Simba's voice but Jones brought a king's voice and Irons just sounds evil. My chief complaints are usually that CGI animals never quite look right (the eyes are always off) and I can't get past the new voices. Shere Khan's voice was George Sanders and the rest of the characters were so perfect (in my mind) that the remake didn't stand a chance. Plus, why just retell a story? If you can't actually improve on the first, don't bother. Find new stories.

Plus, it won't have James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons doing the voices. Broderick was fine as Simba's voice but Jones brought a king's voice and Irons just sounds evil. My chief complaints are usually that CGI animals never quite look right (the eyes are always off) and I can't get past the new voices. Shere Khan's voice was George Sanders and the rest of the characters were so perfect (in my mind) that the remake didn't stand a chance. Plus, why just retell a story? If you can't actually improve on the first, don't bother. Find new stories.

James Earl Jones is reprising his role as Mufasa in the new film.

please make it stop.
The cash grabs? Because this certainly won't convince them to stop. I'm gonna predict this will do better than Jungle Book, Alice and BatB, which all brought in over $1B. Probably the best performing Disney Live-Action film unless Aladdin does something amazing.

Of course there's only so much money to go around this summer and with so much of it being 90's Disney fare and Marvel, I do wonder how much it will cannibalize on each other.

The cash grabs? Because this certainly won't convince them to stop. I'm gonna predict this will do better than Jungle Book, Alice and BatB, which all brought in over $1B. Probably the best performing Disney Live-Action film unless Aladdin does something amazing.

Of course there's only so much money to go around this summer and with so much of it being 90's Disney fare and Marvel, I do wonder how much it will cannibalize on each other.
oh im not expecting it to stop. Im just yelling in this big ol vacuum. I am just tired of nostalgia and Disney and "set in the 80's" and what not. oldmanyellsatcloud.gif (im 27)

and yes ive already bought my endgame tickets lol

oh im not expecting it to stop. Im just yelling in this big ol vacuum. I am just tired of nostalgia and Disney and "set in the 80's" and what not. oldmanyellsatcloud.gif (im 27)

and yes ive already bought my endgame tickets lol
Oh I hear you for sure. But as long as the live-action remakes keep turning a profit, they'll keep churning them out. They've already got Lady and the Tramp and Peter Pan planned for Disney+.

I find it more annoying that Walt Disney Motion Pictures really has turned into a studio that almost exclusively releases these live action remakes. They don't try anything new. I really hope they don't limit Fox Searchlight because that would be a real shame. In a blockbuster driven box office, they aren't afraid to tell actual human/relatable stories. Probably why they're successful.