Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

So Hollywood confirmed it will be one room for their maze. For Orlando I’d imagine 50/50 or more skewed to season 3 given the fact the team watched all of season 3 before it was released (which wouldn’t be necessary if only one room), and there’s much more imagery and scenes to work with in season 3 over season 2. I’d be happy with a longer house giving both seasons their due, and I think the soundstage it’s going into could allow for that. Essentially length of two houses in one.
They watched all of Season 3 because they needed to determine what they have to work with. They likely all (rewatched) Season 2 with it.

Like every (non-mega) house they've done, I expect 8-12 scenes. That's it. And I expect because they didn't announce it as a mega house. (Even 12 would put it on the long side).

But, there are two primary reasons I don't see them leveraging a lot of Season 3 compared to Season 2 -

One - The demodogs are in Season 2. Demodog puppeters don't have to be lookalikes, so they're easier to cast and can use modified demogorgan costumes.

Two - The kids only engage with the "Mindflayer" monster twice in Season 3 - at Hopper's Cabin and Starcourt Mall.

There's enough in season 2 to justify the majority of a house because that's what Hollywood is doing. Season two returns to Hawkins Lab (which officially had two scenes last year), has the junkyard, a return to the Upside Down, the pumpkin patch, the "exorcism" scene in Hopper's cabin - that's six scenes without even leveraging the fact that a lot more happens at the labs in Season 2 than Season 1.

Season 3, realistically, doesn't have as much. Apart from Hopper's Cabin, there are three scenes where there can be Billy scares (Dinner, The Pool, Starcourt), but that requires casting at least FOUR Billy lookalikes... so I'd only expect one of those scenes... if any. They could leverage the Russians (which could go through the funhouse), but then you can't have Hopper available for any Season 2 scenes. And the Russians are far less visually interesting than anything related to the monsters.
Basically, it's not just about the potential scenes. It's about the logistics of the scenes. Season 2 is a logistically easier season to cast. So, it makes sense that season 2 will take up the bulk of the house.

They watched all of Season 3 because they needed to determine what they have to work with. They likely all (rewatched) Season 2 with it.

Like every (non-mega) house they've done, I expect 8-12 scenes. That's it. And I expect because they didn't announce it as a mega house. (Even 12 would put it on the long side).

But, there are two primary reasons I don't see them leveraging a lot of Season 3 compared to Season 2 -

One - The demodogs are in Season 2. Demodog puppeters don't have to be lookalikes, so they're easier to cast and can use modified demogorgan costumes.

Two - The kids only engage with the "Mindflayer" monster twice in Season 3 - at Hopper's Cabin and Starcourt Mall.

There's enough in season 2 to justify the majority of a house because that's what Hollywood is doing. Season two returns to Hawkins Lab (which officially had two scenes last year), has the junkyard, a return to the Upside Down, the pumpkin patch, the "exorcism" scene in Hopper's cabin - that's six scenes without even leveraging the fact that a lot more happens at the labs in Season 2 than Season 1.

Season 3, realistically, doesn't have as much. Apart from Hopper's Cabin, there are three scenes where there can be Billy scares (Dinner, The Pool, Starcourt), but that requires casting at least FOUR Billy lookalikes... so I'd only expect one of those scenes... if any. They could leverage the Russians (which could go through the funhouse), but then you can't have Hopper available for any Season 2 scenes. And the Russians are far less visually interesting than anything related to the monsters.
Basically, it's not just about the potential scenes. It's about the logistics of the scenes. Season 2 is a logistically easier season to cast. So, it makes sense that season 2 will take up the bulk of the house.

I wonder how much better season 2 would've been received as a whole without that one episode.

One scene I don't hear many people talking about from season 3:

The hospital with Nancy and Jonathan. They encounter not only two human adversaries in the possessed paper men, but there is also the creature, which would provide another non-lookalike scare.

Just throwing it out there.

The hospital with Nancy and Jonathan. They encounter not only two human adversaries in the possessed paper men, but there is also the creature, which would provide another non-lookalike scare.

i can imagine the room being a hospital hallway, with a left and right scare by flayed Bruce and Tom, then have a center scare with the mind flayer. it'll make for a good intense scene in the haunt/

I had mentioned that scene before (don't remember which thread). I had forgotten it (which also says a lot).

That gets us to a soft four scenes from season 3, while still allowing season 2 to have the majority of the scenes.

I had mentioned that scene before (don't remember which thread). I had forgotten it (which also says a lot).

That gets us to a soft four scenes from season 3, while still allowing season 2 to have the majority of the scenes.
you can also include a scene in the void with a tub scare. you can even do the upside down road Billy sees with all of those zombie people.

you can also include a scene in the void with a tub scare. you can even do the upside down road Billy sees with all of those zombie people.

Or the people staring at the Mind Flayer in the Steel Mill basement. All I want in that house is “Rats” played at least once, such a creepy track.

Back to the others, this year is filled with a ton of different settings. I love how in one event this year we’re going through a deep sea base, Rome, Canada, Santa Cruz, gothic Europe, New York, Hawkins, and Captain Spaulding’s. Idk why I just think the potential of the sets this year is amazing.

One thing that made the Stranger Things house so incredible last year, in my opinion, was the scareactor casting. I understand how hard it is to cast the lookalikes; a healthy mix of puppetry, projections, and live scareactors should hopefully recreate the feeling of the first house.

I kinda feel like me and my husband were the only people who felt disappointed with the ST maze last year. I couldn't tell you why honestly. Just left that maze underwhelmed.

I kinda feel like me and my husband were the only people who felt disappointed with the ST maze last year. I couldn't tell you why honestly. Just left that maze underwhelmed.

I thought it was just okay. It wasn't in my top 5 for last year and was nowhere near Slaughter Sinema or Trick r Treat imo.

I thought it was just okay. It wasn't in my top 5 for last year and was nowhere near Slaughter Sinema or Trick r Treat imo.
Slaughter Sinema was for sure my favorite last year. Trick 'r Treat I thought would just be okay but it became one of my favorites. Gorgeous house too.

Slaughter Sinema was for sure my favorite last year. Trick 'r Treat I thought would just be okay but it became one of my favorites. Gorgeous house too.

My list from best to worst houses last year (FOR ME) is as follows:
1-Slaughter Sinema
2-Trick r Treat
3-Dead Exposure: Patient Zero
4-Poltergeist
5-Carnival Graveyard: Rust In Pieces
6-Stranger Things
7-Scary Tales: Deadly Ever After
8-Seeds of Extinction
9-Halloween 4
10-Blumhouse

My list from best to worst houses last year (FOR ME) is as follows: