Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still part of the Harry Potter universe ......

What you're NOT going to hear.. (beyond this board and Potter super stans).... "ewwww a brand new land with E-ticket attractions, unique dining and merchandising opportunities... and it's PARIS!!!! The location from the second fantastic beasts movie!!! That was my LEAST favorite movie from all of the Wizarding universe... I'm not going!"

What you will hear from the majority of people... " Wow look a brand new land... it's like the wizarding world but it's Paris... I heard that the new rides are even better than Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, and there are a lot more adorable and awesome creatures.." Let's Go!"

Everyone relax!

Last edited:
Potter fans are mixed (at best) on the franchise. The biggest Potter fan I know, absolutely HATES CoG. The general public is indifferent towards it (at best.)

A “billion dollar franchise” means less and less when each Disney film clears a billion easily.

I can’t even imagine the confusion of a Potter fan or average guest being confronted with a random Paris land at the new park. There is zero attachment or familiarity to it. Shoot, MACUSA would at least make sense with possible Ilvermorny merch opportunities. But I think WB/JKR got burned bad with the appropriation indictments.

And then there’s Johnny Depp.

Safe and logical bet is to build the London Ministry, a work of art by Stuart Craig, which bridges the gap of both franchises. It will be beloved by Potter fans and familiar to average guests.

I just don’t see how you dump a cool billion into an entire land based on horribly received movie. Maybe it was the plan a few years ago, but I cannot see how this hasn’t changed since. As has been pointed out, Warner Bros is aware there is a problem and has delayed the films accordingly. If it were anyone but JKR, the franchise would be DEAD.

I'm totally with you. When UEU was in blue sky phase I'm sure they believed that FBeasts was going to be as successful as HPotter was so they added it to the new park with no hesitation... Unfortunately for them it wasn't but the desing is already done...

BTW Whatever happened with those c-d ticket Nintendo rides planned to take over Kid Zone at USF. Will they be on the first line-up of rides in Super Nintendo World? Im talking about Koopa Troopa Spinning Shells, Kirby's Kid Playland and Donkey Kong's Treehouse.

It's still part of the Harry Potter universe ......

What you're NOT going to hear.. (beyond this board and Potter super stans).... "ewwww a brand new land with E-ticket attractions, unique dining and merchandising opportunities... and it's PARIS!!!! The location from the second fantastic beasts movie!!! That was my LEAST favorite movie from all of the Wizarding universe... I'm not going!"

What you will hear from the majority of people... " Wow look a brand new land... it's like the wizarding world but it's Paris... I heard they the new rides are even better than Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, and there are a lot more adorable and awesome creatures.." Let's Go!"

Everyone relax!
Disney Executives: Turn Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride.
Imagineers: We'll do our best!
General Public (before it opens): This is going to be the worst thing ever!
General Public (after it opens): This is the best ride in the park!

Warner Bros & Rowling: Make a Fantastic Beasts land based on this, this and this.
Universal Creative: You got it!

Etc, etc, you get the picture.

I thought I had read some articles months ago that actually seemed to clear him of the allegations, and there was evidence of the ex-wife being the abuser?
Right now it's a 'he said she said' situation, though Amber Heard seems to be coming out on top of the publicity side. Generally it hurts someone's career to be a part of something like this, even if the allegations are untrue.

Really didn't help FB2 box office having Depp be involved in this. (It also didn't help that the overall feeling of FB2 made you feel bad too.) If the movie had focused more on Newt and Dumbledore and less on Grindelwald, maybe it would have done better.

I think they'll learn their lesson from this with FB3 and Epic Universe.

I guess all this talk of IPs don’t matter as long as the attractions are good has gone out the window and now posters are being nit picky.
Seriously, I can’t beleive all the complaining about Fantastic Beasts. Like, people realize that’s a Potter brand? And Potter is what universal has proven to do best. Kinda lame how bit picky everyone has been honestly.

Seriously, I can’t beleive all the complaining about Fantastic Beasts. Like, people realize that’s a Potter brand? And Potter is what universal has proven to do best. Kinda lame how bit picky everyone has been honestly.
Especially over the particular location of Paris. Honestly it’s the land I’m most looking forward to because I know UC can go all out on immersion and theming like they did with Diagon Alley.

Even if Fantastic Beasts isn't the best story right now, long term they do have 3 movies to turn it around. Plus I have faith in the creative team to do justice to the world regardless of story.

And with people complaining about bad IP/box office "failures" leading bad experiences within the park, remember WATERWORLD is still going strong and opening in the new park.

Potter fans are mixed (at best) on the franchise. The biggest Potter fan I know, absolutely HATES CoG. The general public is indifferent towards it (at best.)

A “billion dollar franchise” means less and less when each Disney film clears a billion easily.

I can’t even imagine the confusion of a Potter fan or average guest being confronted with a random Paris land at the new park. There is zero attachment or familiarity to it. Shoot, MACUSA would at least make sense with possible Ilvermorny merch opportunities. But I think WB/JKR got burned bad with the appropriation indictments.

And then there’s Johnny Depp.

Safe and logical bet is to build the London Ministry, a work of art by Stuart Craig, which bridges the gap of both franchises. It will be beloved by Potter fans and familiar to average guests.

I just don’t see how you dump a cool billion into an entire land based on horribly received movie. Maybe it was the plan a few years ago, but I cannot see how this hasn’t changed since. As has been pointed out, Warner Bros is aware there is a problem and has delayed the films accordingly. If it were anyone but JKR, the franchise would be DEAD.
I get it. A lot of the fandom hates the 2nd film.... but I think the characters and the creatures (for the most part) are well received. And neither Diagon Alley nor Hogsmeade are based on a single film. Just because its Paris doesn't mean this is FBCoG Land.... and I don't know why everyone seems to think so. The first film was pretty universally well received. And just because CoG was panned doesnt mean the other 3 planned films will be panned as well... I mean JW2 was panned too but that's not stopping them from changing over and giving us better ride experiences.. I think the fanbase isn't going to care if its FB as long as the rides are amazing and they can see a niffler. :grin:

Isn't a portion of the issue with Galaxy's Edge literally the lack of familiarity with the planet that the land is based on? Wouldn't doing the Ministry in Paris just be a retread of this exact issue? Albeit, it's at least shown in CoG a bit, but it's still a far cry from what fans think of when they hear MoM. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't think the London > Paris argument is without its logical backing.

Isn't a portion of the issue with Galaxy's Edge literally the lack of familiarity with the planet that the land is based on? Wouldn't doing the Ministry in Paris just be a retread of this exact issue? Albeit, it's at least shown in CoG a bit, but it's still a far cry from what fans think of when they hear MoM. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't think the London > Paris argument is without its logical backing.
A small portion of it, yes. But a much larger portion is due to:
  1. Ticket price increase
  2. Strict black out dates
  3. Delayed vacation planning due to anticipated large crowds
  4. Delayed vacation planning due to the major attraction not even being open yet
  5. Other factors including possible Star Wars fatigue, product offerings being subpar (blue milk < butter beer, Smugglers Run < Hagrids), unfamiliarity of the characters, etc
That, and we're only looking at Disneyland right now, the Disney World version isn't even open yet.

If they were to do London *again*, people would be confused and/or argue that it was a stupid decision to do the same area twice in two different parks. 1920s Paris gives them a chance to offer an immersive experience not offered anywhere else. Keep in mind that Universal will be able to take liberties, just as they had with Hogsmeade and Diagon (Ollivanders has a franchised wand shop, for example, and could show up in Paris).

I do think London is untapped, but it needs to happen at their current London location, in 2024 or beyond, as an expanded area to USF. (They could takeover San Francisco and rebrand the restaurants as London, redo F&F as Knight Bus, for example). If they do London again at Epic Universe, we're basically saying Diagon/London gets Gringotts and one half of the train and they're done, there would be little hope for an expansion in the next ten years. Give me Paris, but then expand London.

Last edited:
A small portion of it, yes. But a much larger portion is due to:
  1. Ticket price increase
  2. Strict black out dates
  3. Delayed vacation planning due to anticipated large crowds
  4. Delayed vacation planning due to the major attraction not even being open yet
  5. Other factors including possible Star Wars fatigue, product offerings being subpar (blue milk < butter beer, Smugglers Run < Hagrids), unfamiliarity of the characters, etc
That, and we're only looking at Disneyland right now, the Disney World version isn't even open yet.

If they were to do London *again*, people would be confused and/or argue that it was a stupid decision to do the same area twice in two different parks.

I do think London is untapped, but it needs to happen at their current London location, in 2024 or beyond, as an expanded area to USF. (They could takeover San Francisco and rebrand the restaurants as London, redo F&F as Knight Bus, for example). If they do London again at Epic Universe, we're basically saying Diagon/London gets Gringotts and one half of the train and they're done, there would be little hope for an expansion in the next ten years. Give me Paris, but then expand London.

I'm not even talking about the issue of the crowds showing up itself. I'm talking about how guests who actually visit are reacting. People like to latch on to things and feel like they're in the world they fell in love with while watching the movies/reading the books. That's part of the charm of things like Diagon and Hogsmeade. Just that initial awe that guests feel when they step through the wall and see Diagon in full or approach Hogsmeade and see Hogwarts. I don't think you'd get anything like that with MoM Paris, but you would with MoM London.

I know a repeat sounds weird, but I don't think it's impossible to execute well.

Thiiiiisssssss. Sticking a London ministry scene into a Fantastic Beasts Land is akin to sticking the Millennium Falcon ride with an obscure character from a cartoon show as the host instead of Han Solo.

*earpiece buzzes*

They DID that!?

Thiiiiisssssss. Sticking a London ministry scene into a Fantastic Beasts Land is akin to sticking the Millennium Falcon ride with an obscure character from a cartoon show as the host instead of Han Solo.

*earpiece buzzes*

They DID that!?
You're comparing apples to oranges. Are you talking about familiarity of lands or characters?

The familiarity of the characters is exactly why I'm arguing that Dumbledore gets his name on a ride. (Note that the entire Fantastic Beasts five movie franchise is assumed to be about Dumbledore's battle against Grindelwald.)

Edit:
We're also almost strictly looking at criticism of FB2 regarding domestic box office, but I'd be curious how it was received in two major markets Universal is really targeting: South America (Brazil) and UK. Only thing I could find is that FB2 had the biggest opening weekend for any WWOHP film in Brazil.

Last edited:
You're comparing apples to oranges. Are you talking about familiarity of lands or characters?

The familiarity of the characters is exactly why I'm arguing that Dumbledore gets his name on a ride. (Note that the entire Fantastic Beasts five movie franchise is assumed to be about Dumbledore's battle against Grindelwald.)
Which brings us back to: why Paris?

Status
Not open for further replies.