Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we already have a NYC and London in USF.

I already threw out the idea of Rio, which may be the location of FB 3.

But what casual fan cares about that? The average tourist is going to be far more excited about a key, recognizable location than they are annoyed about getting another land based in London. Most guests would view it as the "Ministry of Magic land" anyhow rather than "London". No regular guest refers to that part of USF as London. I'll keep circling back to it, but guests love recognition. Getting the actual London MoM would be a huge picture moment. People would lose their mind over it. It's key word-of-mouth advertisement. I don't think you get that same moment with the MoM in Paris.

I just don't think the average parkgoer cares enough that you need to dive into the least popular and recognizable movie in the franchise to get a new location.

But what casual fan cares about that? The average tourist is going to be far more excited about a key, recognizable location than they are annoyed about getting another land based in London. Most guests would view it as the "Ministry of Magic land" anyhow rather than "London". No regular guest refers to that part of USF as London. I'll keep circling back to it, but guests love recognition. Getting the actual London MoM would be a huge picture moment. People would lose their mind over it.

I just don't think the average parkgoer cares enough that you need to dive into the least popular movie in the franchise to get a new location.
The average parkgoer is going to go to the park because it's a new, massive, high tech theme park, with the promise of e-ticket rides, great food, and immersive lands. They may also be familiar with Dumbledore, Newt, Ministry of Magic, Ollivanders, Butter Beer, and are not going to think twice about the differences between Potter vs FB.

Most guests would view it as the "Ministry of Magic land" anyhow rather than "London".
There you go, then it doesn't matter. Paris or London, it's MoM land.

I feel like this whole topic just keeps going around in circles where Fantastic Beasts is concerned. At the end of the day, it's a mut point. Universal only has so much pull and say in it. They are going to basically go in whatever direction Warner Brothers and JK wanted keep them happy, because an unhappy JK would spell disaster for Universal's biggest cash cow. And even with the concerns with the last movie, I'm willing to bet money on them wanting the land to be Fantastic Beasts. It is JK's darling atm, and let's be honest, Warner wants to keep her as happy as possible as well.

The average parkgoer is going to go to the park because it's a new, massive, high tech theme park, with the promise of e-ticket rides, great food, and immersive lands. They may also be familiar with Dumbledore, Newt, Ministry of Magic, Ollivanders, Butter Beer, and are not going to think twice about the differences between Potter vs FB.
I mean, if we're going back those metrics, than none of the themes technically matter at all. Obviously guests are coming for the new, stunning park, but of course the actual contents of the park will have an impact on attendance. It's undeniable that Potter has a bigger draw than FB. It's just not even a question. FB can draw, but there's a clear difference in popularity.

There you go, then it doesn't matter. Paris or London, it's MoM land.
Sure, but is it going to feel like MoM land if it's not the recognizable, iconic MoM? It's still "Star Wars Land", but does it feel the same as it would going to a more recognizable planet?

I feel like this whole topic just keeps going around in circles where Fantastic Beasts is concerned. At the end of the day, it's a mut point. Universal only has so much pull and say in it. They are going to basically go in whatever direction Warner Brothers and JK wanted keep them happy, because an unhappy JK would spell disaster for Universal's biggest cash cow. And even with the concerns with the last movie, I'm willing to bet money on them wanting the land to be Fantastic Beasts. It is JK's darling atm, and let's be honest, Warner wants to keep her as happy as possible as well.

This, I'm far more likely to agree with. I do think all of this is moot and it all comes down to J.K. and she likely will want FB to at least be involved. My only point is whether I think it's the right choice. But this is also just my opinion which isn't worth a damn thing :lol:

But what casual fan cares about that? The average tourist is going to be far more excited about a key, recognizable location than they are annoyed about getting another land based in London. Most guests would view it as the "Ministry of Magic land" anyhow rather than "London". No regular guest refers to that part of USF as London. I'll keep circling back to it, but guests love recognition. Getting the actual London MoM would be a huge picture moment. People would lose their mind over it. It's key word-of-mouth advertisement. I don't think you get that same moment with the MoM in Paris.

I just don't think the average parkgoer cares enough that you need to dive into the least popular and recognizable movie in the franchise to get a new location.

I feel the exact opposite way. I feel like the average guest would be more excited about Paris being in the park than another London location... lol... I feel like we get a lot of complaints about "too much potter" and I feel like people would rather something different than "more London" maybe I"m wrong.

I mean I call USF, Diagon Alley, but it's very distinctively "London" to me... it looks like London it feels like London. Kings Cross station is fantastically themed. Give me that in Paris!

I feel the exact opposite way. I feel like the average guest would be more excited about Paris being in the park than another London location... lol... I feel like we get a lot of complaints about "too much potter" and I feel like people would rather something different than "more London" maybe I"m wrong.
I mean, those complaints will always be there, but they're also a fairly small part of the general public. We see it time and time again with each new addition -- people still flock for Potter. For those that are unsatisfied, there's 4 additional lands coming in this new park just for them. I also don't think anyone sick of Potter will come to the park just for a Paris-themed land when Epcot is just down the road with a whole French pavilion. :shrug:

Counterpoint: The average guest has no clue the outside of Diagon Alley is supposed to be London, nor would they care about the outside of the Ministry also being London

Counterpoint: The average guest has no clue the outside of Diagon Alley is supposed to be London, no would they care about the outside of the Ministry also being London

I know the general guests aren't always the brightest and we tend to joke about it here a lot, but in the instance I think you are underestimating them a bit. I mean, there are straight up carts selling nothing but London merchandise as you walk in. People might not be that smart, but a majority of them also aren't that stupid.

Counterpoint: The average guest has no clue the outside of Diagon Alley is supposed to be London, nor would they care about the outside of the Ministry also being London
Nor would they care that the MoM in EU begins in Paris or Rio (and takes a floo ride) rather than London.

Nor would they care about the outside of the Ministry being Paris.

They would absolutely care that the inside of the "Ministry of Magic" didn't look anything like...you know...the Ministry of Magic.

Nor would they care that the MoM in EU begins in Paris or Rio (and takes a floor ride) rather than London.

Come on. They definitely would care that it's not *the* location they've seen in their favorite movies

I just think it's an extremely strange choice to go with a land based off of Paris, which is only in one single movie which was also the least successful entry in the whole franchise, when you could easily do a land that incorporates a huge key aspect of both HP and FB. The general guest will find either stunning, but do you really want to let down the Potter fanbase? The group that's actually interested in spending a wild amount of money on merch, food, etc?

I get your desire of moving to a different country just to freshen it up. I just don't see it making logical sense from a marketing or financial standpoint.

They would absolutely care that the inside of the "Ministry of Magic" didn't look anything like...you know...the Ministry of Magic.
I'm sorry, but I think very few of us are envisioning the same thing you are for this. Do you expect guests to want to walk around and shop/dine here? Keep in mind that the major centerpiece of this area is something reminiscent of the holocaust.

I just think it's an extremely strange choice to go with a land based off of Paris, which is only in one single movie which was also the least successful entry in the whole franchise, when you could easily do a land that incorporates a huge key aspect of both HP and FB. The general guest will find either stunning, but do you really want to let down the Potter fanbase? The group that's actually interested in spending a wild amount of money on merch, food, etc?

I get your desire of moving to a different country just to freshen it up. I just don't see it making logical sense from a marketing or financial standpoint.

I mean, there could be any number of reasons why they would go with Paris. Perhaps the ride concepts give them flexablitity with location. Perhaps going with a lesser explored location within the Wizarding World allows the team a little more room to be creative in terms of the land and make there own mark on the Wizarding World. Perhaps it's simply what they were given by WB and JK to work with. Regardless, I think there is enough overall general esthetic to the Wizarding World to go with Paris and still make it obviously take place in the Wizarding World enough to please even die hard Potter fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.