Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

Why not? Because it’s not obvious or because you know, unequivocally, that it’s not happening. Just because you can’t tell there’s a problem doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem.

Now, if only black people/people of appropriate decent are playing black characters, then there’s no issue. If that isn’t the case, regardless of if you can tell or not, it’s a problem. The knowledge that that occurred with Skelator last year definitely doesn’t help the problem.

True, I don't know exactly 100% what's going on behind the scenes, just what I've seen on video and in person. I do think the choice to use masks in this maze was a poor one for sure. Especially given the size of the talent pool available in Los Angeles.

I just have some many questions, though. If we are seeing black face here, why did nobody speak up? Did Jordan and MonkeyPaw know? It seemed like they were pretty involved (especially in Los Angeles) and I can’t imagine for a second that they would approve. This is wild.

Yea I agree. It's hard for me to believe that Jordan Peele would be ok with that and I'm want to assume something was said about this beforehand if they were considering using masks. Something tells me this wasn't a casting issue as they were able to find actors for the other black characters in the maze.

Can someone more familiar with how the event is run speak on how actors are put into roles? Is it possible that someone is being lazy and putting whichever female scareactor in that role?

True, I don't know exactly 100% what's going on behind the scenes, just what I've seen on video and in person. I do think the choice to use masks in this maze was a poor one for sure. Especially given the size of the talent pool available in Los Angeles.

Yup. Even if this isn't whats going on, Its easy to mistake as blackface. They should have just been face characters like Orlando.

Last edited:
Is it acceptable to use an African American actor in the Michael Meyers mask?
Completely oblivious to the issue, I hate this whataboutism argument that pops up whenever something like this happens. There's a long and well-documented history of blackface in showbusiness. And to answer your question, yes, it would be totally okay to put an African American actor in a Michael Myers. It wouldn't be screen-accurate, no, but there's not a perverse history of people doing blackface and portraying racist stereotypes. Also, just fun fact, in 2016 there was a shortage of scareactors tall enough to fit all the slasher roles for FvJ, Halloween, and TCM, so many black actors did end up in those roles even though all those characters were originally white

Yea I agree. It's hard for me to believe that Jordan Peele would be ok with that and I'm want to assume something was said about this beforehand if they were considering using masks. Something tells me this wasn't a casting issue as they were able to find actors for the other black characters in the maze.

Can someone more familiar with how the event is run speak on how actors are put into roles? Is it possible that someone is being lazy and putting whichever female scareactor in that role?
The maze has its regular cast, but if actors were missing than they would have to pull from reserve, which is only about 100 people. They might not have enough black actresses to fill the spot and ended up with someone with lighter skin, the reasoning being that it's more important to staff the haunt and keep putting guests through than anything else. But as we see this can lead to a pretty unfortunate situation

The maze has its regular cast, but if actors were missing than they would have to pull from reserve, which is only about 100 people. They might not have enough black actresses to fill the spot and ended up with someone with lighter skin, the reasoning being that it's more important to staff the haunt and keep putting guests through than anything else. But as we see this can lead to a pretty unfortunate situation
I mean, if they don’t have enough women of color in their reserves of 100 people who can come in and do that one bit in the maze, then it’s an utter overall failure on HHN’s behalf. There are so many black actresses and performers in this city who could come in and do that one bit, to not have enough people in their reserves is just lazy.

I mean, if they don’t have enough women of color in their reserves of 100 people who can come in and do that one bit in the maze, then it’s an utter overall failure on HHN’s behalf. There are so many black actresses and performers in this city who could come in and do that one bit, to not have enough people in their reserves is just lazy.
There is another pool of actors starting within the next week or two, so we could see this issue resolved by October when the event is in full swing. Either way....masks were a weird route to go here. There are a ton of talented actresses here that could easily take that role and completely eliminate the need for mask. However, they most likely have other jobs/gigs that could interfere with preferred availability for HHN.

I know I'm in the minority, and apparently Peele likes it too, but I actually really like the mask. It's very unsettling and dare I say, lifelike other than the eyes. But the eyes are the creepiest part because, I'm then wondering how they did that with makeup. Honestly, I didn't know it was a mask till I came here. So to any average person, it must look freakin' terrifying to think their eyes are bulging out of their head in such a way. I think that open eyed look is iconic in the movie and important, which would be hard to do for anyone for 30 minutes straight every hour on the hour.

I was there tonight and things started off like they would be really busy, but thankfully, there was plenty to do without waiting in really long lines. House of 1000 Corpses and Holidayz in Hell consistently had low waits for a while. If you can stay late on a Thursday or Sunday, I highly recommend it. I was able to do the backlot mazes multiple times in the last hour and was able to get far better runs through them since there were less people in them at that time of night.

Good to hear that there was a clear-out last night towards the end. I’ve been obsessively checking wait times, but didn’t stay up late enough to see that. I’m going on Sunday with a group that won’t pay for express, and I was getting worried that my advice of “Sundays should be more manageable,” wouldn’t hold true this year.

I'm going to steer clear of the whole Us issue because that's not a path I want to tread. Instead, I just thought I'd share some general insight about my experience with the event this past Sunday.

Early entry worked surprisingly well, as Stranger Things was only a 40 minute wait right out the gate. It's worth noting that Stranger Things and (shockingly) Pandora's Box were the only two that had consistently high waits through most of the night. Klowns and Ghostbusters started with ridiculous waits but dropped significantly as the night went on.

From my experience, the wait time inflation was a lot higher than normal. Creepshow was posted 10 with an empty line, Ghostbusters was posted 60 and we waited no more than 20, and we waited 15 for Klowns when it was posted 100. I could've just had convenient timing, but it was something I noticed nonetheless.

I can't speak on Thursdays personally, but Sundays are definitely a great day to go. We had express and were able to do several mazes twice or even three times, just barely finishing at 12:45. If you don't feel like dropping the cash for express, Sundays are your best bet at hitting everything once.

Even though I've only been on it twice, I've noticed that Pandora's line seems to be the slowest moving of all the mazes. I think a large part of this is because they're frequently stopping it to let all the people from Us exit.

Also, have they already essentially given up on the short pre-show for Pandora? The first time I did it on Friday, we caught the door opening, but Sunday night, even though we were maybe the 3rd group to be let into the maze, the door was just already wide open.

Even though I've only been on it twice, I've noticed that Pandora's line seems to be the slowest moving of all the mazes. I think a large part of this is because they're frequently stopping it to let all the people from Us exit.

Also, have they already essentially given up on the short pre-show for Pandora? The first time I did it on Friday, we caught the door opening, but Sunday night, even though we were maybe the 3rd group to be let into the maze, the door was just already wide open.
I was at the tail-end of the group, but when I entered last night, I saw the door open.

probably because there counts suck its probably going to be a hour to hour thing. maybe they will have the preshow for the dead nights/hours