1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

“Black Box” Ride for DCA

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by Freak, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Freak

Freak Veteran Member

tankart150 and LintemuthStudios like this.
  2. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

I like the idea and it has huge potential to stay relevant instead of the several years it needs for an IP to prove itself before heading into the parks.

My two concerns are that, we've been told for decades about rides that can easily be updated and they never are and the experience will never be as good as a dedicated ride system.

3. Freak

Freak Veteran Member

True. I could see DLR using this as an opportunity to make seasonal overlays for rides. I don’t see WDW doing that though, unless they already at their disposal.

4. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

I can see the appeal but do we really think Disney is gonna invest in switching the rides theme around when they have had this tech all along? Midway mania was supposed to have Halloween and Xmas overlays. We’ve heard this before. it’s just not effective to go back and swap out themes.

Joe and Honor_Knight like this.
  5. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

I think seasonal overlays is something that WDW is missing and makes DLR so special. If this allows for a quick turnaround, similar to what Guardians does for Halloween, it adds a lot more possibilities. Having a different ride daily, could be a huge pull if done right.

I’m going a bit later than normal to DLR this year and I’ll get to experience The Haunted Mansion overlay for the first time and I can’t wait.

6. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

What if the plan is that the Parks division isn't paying for each individual switched ride... but Walt Disney Pictures is paying for some of them as a way to advertise their upcoming films? The ride would for sure get changed every so often if the Pictures Division wants to advertise and then the parks can say they have a "new" attraction.

7. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

The idea holds water but it actually sound sounds atrocious. This is everything Disney obsessive claim they hate.

OrlLover and belloq87 like this.
  8. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

With the way Universal made a lot of their rides and sharing a similar system, I would love for them to create something similar to this.

Call it the Universal Studios Florida Time Machine:

Use the Despicable Me system while also featuring BTTF, Shrek 3D, Nicktoon Blast, The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. 5 rides for the price of one.

9. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

Isn’t this what the film division did in the 90s. The side effect is when the films promotional budget is expanded then the show or attraction gets canned. Like the hunchback show in MGM.

10. OrlLover

OrlLover Member

I don’t why people are so fascinated with idea as it seems very cheap.

Chris Galindo likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

It gives the opportunity for IPs that would never normally get rides to get some form of attraction/ride experience in the parks as this will be a quick/cheap way to give exposure to said IP.

That in and of itself is worth it to me.

HereWeGo, LintemuthStudios and Freak like this.