2018 Rumor Thread | Inside Universal Forums

2018 Rumor Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 7, 2016
Riding Lightning Rod
A list of all Universal Orlando rumors, as of late March 2018. This list is pure speculation, nothing is confirmed. Rumors are divided into categories. This list only applies to the current parks, all Uni. South speculation is to go into another thread.

Universal Studios

Ministry of Magic- Rumored to replace Fear Factor Live. Nothing else is currently known about this attraction other than its rumored opening date, which would be sometime in 2020.

SLOP/ Villain-Con- Rumored to replace Shrek 4D. The attraction could feature a trackless ride system. SLOP would be a story-based ride, while Villain-Con is speculated to be more of a museum kind of experience, with the ride vehicles showcasing weapons found at the event.

Pokemon- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Hello Kitty- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Splatoon- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Bourne Show- Rumored to replace Terminator. Set to open in 2019.

DreamWorks- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Islands Of Adventure

Harry Potter Roller Coaster- Replaces Dragon Challenge, and is set to open in 2019. Said to be one of the most technologically advanced rides in Universal. No story details are known at this time, although it is speculated to revolve around Forbidden Forest or the Tri-Wizard tournament.

Lost Continent Replacement- Rumored to be the kingdom of Hyrule (of Zelda fame). Nothing else is known at this time.

Jurassic Park Expansion- Jurassic Park is rumored to get a Jurassic World overlay and a new ride. JPRA could get an upgrade of some sort, possibly featuring new animatronics. Nothing is currently known about the new ride.

Iron Legion- Said to be delayed/cancelled. Sorry Marvel fans.

Other Miscellaneous Rumors- A Toon Lagoon revamp/retheme and a Seuss expansion are also rumored, but not much is known about them.

Volcano Bay

Expansion- Rumored to include a new water coaster. Nothing else is known at this time.

Various

Possibilities- Ready Player One

If I didn't get all the rumors, please post them below.

Last edited:
I think someone just ran out of patience waiting for UOR to announce what the plan is. ;)

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit for only T2 and DC to be the only things in the next two years to have any forward progress. My confidence is completely gone at this point. Spring of 2016 was when I was wondering how Universal could keep up the pace they were on. VB in the middle of being built, Kong and Sapphire opening, Toothsome opening, Hulk being rebuilt. Disaster, beetlejuice and twister closed and work being started- just a good sign for the immediate future.

The push back of F&F from 2017 to spring 2018 was what marked the turning point for me. Didn’t know it at the time- But here we are with a bunch of rumors on the horizon and not a single shovel in the ground beyond T2, HP, and a new lagoon show to open sometime in the next couple years that I, unfortunately, have very low expectations for (and 2 off-site value hotels).

Of the 13 rumors mentioned- id be absolutely shocked if more than 4 of those specific ones came to fruition in the next 4 years. And 3 of them were confirmed (and news broken) by universal (T2, SNW, FF). And one was broken by universal (VB expansion)- but nothing has happened. So I’m giving the field 1/10- leaning towards VB. The others are all grains of salt for me.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t surprise me one bit for only T2 and DC to be the only things in the next two years to have any forward progress. My confidence is completely gone at this point. Spring of 2016 was when I was wondering how Universal could keep up the pace they were on. VB in the middle of being built, Kong and Sapphire opening, Toothsome opening, Hulk being rebuilt. Disaster, beetlejuice and twister closed and work being started- just a good sign for the immediate future.

The push back of F&F from 2017 to spring 2018 was what marked the turning point for me. Didn’t know it at the time- But here we are with a bunch of rumors on the horizon and not a single shovel in the ground beyond T2, HP, and a new lagoon show to open sometime in the next couple years that I, unfortunately, have very low expectations for (and 2 off-site value hotels).

I have every confidence they have projects moving forward. They can’t afford to lose this built up momentum in 2020 with what Disney has planned. They also need something big for all these new hotel rooms.

Universal typically builds rides in 2 years so we should see some new construction by late summer on a new project.

You can thank Disney for that ;)

In all seriousness, Universal did promise to have new attractions out every year. I just think we got a little spoiled with everything that has opened in the last few years. Look at Busch Gardens. They've gotten two rides in the last five years (going back to 2014). We've gotten at least four, probably more. And I'm not even counting Volcano Bay.

Reactions: Andysol
I have every confidence they have projects moving forward. They can’t afford to lose this built up momentum in 2020 with what Disney has planned. They also need something big for all these new hotel rooms.

Universal typically builds rides in 2 years so we should see some new construction by late summer on a new project.

I expect to see two things starting construction this year. Some new restrooms in Kidzone and a new gift shop in Diagon Alley ;)

You can thank Disney for that ;)

In all seriousness, Universal did promise to have new attractions out every year. I just think we got a little spoiled with everything that has opened in the last few years. Look at Busch Gardens. They've gotten two rides in the last five years (going back to 2014). We've gotten at least four, probably more. And I'm not even counting Volcano Bay.

VB being an entire park- adding an extra day to vacations- so certainly can’t be discounted. I love it.

And as @scott_walker mentioned with the momentum- I fully agree. I can’t remember a time when at least 3 significant attractions weren’t being built. I mean- the hulk thing was so left field- in an awesome way.
F&F was the turning point. They pushed it back and let up on the gas- and dare I say, pushed on the brake. In a sense of “we don’t have squat coming out anytime soon- we need to stretch this out- push F&F back a year”. If F&F opened in 2017- that would’ve been furthering their insanely amazing run.

And I already know there will be posters who say “just wait- it’s all coming”. Hell- universal has said its coming *cough VB* *cough SNW* yet here we are with not even a survey done on the land. We’re in purgatory and until universal does something- then this is mostly just wishful thinking/fanboy to me. Take IoA as an example- every single island has a rumor... :lol:

Reactions: shawn2
And I already know there will be posters who say “just wait- it’s all coming”. Hell- universal has said its coming *cough VB* *cough SNW* yet here we are with not even a survey done on the land. We’re in purgatory and until universal does something- then this is mostly just wishful thinking/fanboy to me.

What about the insiders? @AliciaStella, @Disneyhead, @Brian G. all seem to think that things are moving along :shrug:

I expect to see two things starting construction this year. Some new restrooms in Kidzone and a new gift shop in Diagon Alley ;)

2019 has HP coaster and T2 replacement. This is probably the most lacklustre year for a while but they still have F&F (Granted it was pushed back so take that how you will), Voodoo Donuts (Small addition but no doubt a major hit) and Aventura opening in August. That's a lot for a resort this size.
What about the insiders? @AliciaStella,

@Disneyhead, @Brian G. all seem to think that things are moving along :shrug:

The overall impression I get is that the wheels are turning but pretty much everything is in flux. Disney announcing so much was relatively unexpected and it's caused things to change not mention acquiring new land and new IPs. Projects get put on hold or moved up or down the list. New ides are brought to the table and old ideas get plus'd.

The time it's taken to get a new plan together also has consequences as the world has changed in the last year plus Disney might now be doing something similar to what Universal had planned or new guest feedback has caused a stir, IPs might be doing better than expected and as Universal move through their current timeline with more guests visiting, they might need larger capacity rides that which some of the planned attractions wouldn't be able to cope with.

It's a crazy time but it's an exciting one.

Reactions: tankart150
What about the insiders? @AliciaStella, @Disneyhead, @Brian G. all seem to think that things are moving along :shrug:

In regards to Volcano Bay, as I've stated before, they are still within their first year. Ideally, you'll probably get an announcement around the year anniversary. They opened the park way behind schedule; they had to finish the park, and rectify any opening year issues. Now they are free to move....

BUT

Marketing is in a peculiar place right now where I don't exactly get their gameplan and, IMO, have really fumbled a lot of things for Universal the past couple years. Things have been ready to be announced since late Jan...

They've chosen to hold onto their cards for whatever reason.

As it stands now, we officially have:

Fast & Furious, that is supposed to open soon, with no opening date.
2 no-named hotels.
A Harry Potter Coaster (an announcement of any sort that could've helped HP Celeb 2018 be something special/newsworthy)
A "high-octane, Universal franchise" show
A no-named night show (while announcing the old night show ended with a whimper)
Christmas and RTU info, but no "official" HHN info (dates and packages)

So I don't know what they feel is the best move.....

A VB Expansion is happening, though.

A list of all Universal Orlando rumors, as of late March 2018. This list is pure speculation, nothing is confirmed. Rumors are divided into categories. This list only applies to the current parks, all Uni. South speculation is to go into another thread.

Universal Studios

Super Nintendo World- Rumored to replace Kidzone. The land would include attractions based on Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Bowser Jr. The attractions would feature multiple animatronics and set pieces. Other restaurants, shops, and play areas would be spread throughout the land.

Ministry of Magic- Rumored to replace Fear Factor Live. Nothing else is currently known about this attraction other than its rumored opening date, which would be sometime in 2020.

SLOP/ Villain-Con- Rumored to replace Shrek 4D. The attraction could feature a trackless ride system. SLOP would be a story-based ride, while Villain-Con is speculated to be more of a museum kind of experience, with the ride vehicles showcasing weapons found at the event.

Pokemon- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Hello Kitty- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Splatoon- Rumored to replace Kidzone. Nothing else is known at this time.

Bourne Show- Rumored to replace Terminator. Set to open in 2019.

Islands Of Adventure

Harry Potter Roller Coaster- Replaces Dragon Challenge, and is set to open in 2019. Said to be one of the most technologically advanced rides in Universal. No story details are known at this time, although it is speculated to revolve around Forbidden Forest or the Tri-Wizard tournament.

Lost Continent Replacement- Rumored to be the kingdom of Hyrule (of Zelda fame). Nothing else is known at this time.

Jurassic Park Expansion- Jurassic Park is rumored to get a Jurassic World overlay and a new ride. JPRA could get an upgrade of some sort, possibly featuring new animatronics. Nothing is currently known about the new ride.

Iron Legion- Said to be delayed/cancelled. Sorry Marvel fans.

Other Miscellaneous Rumors- A Toon Lagoon revamp/retheme and a Seuss expansion are also rumored, but not much is known about them.

Volcano Bay

Expansion- Rumored to include a new water coaster. Nothing else is known at this time.

If I didn't get all the rumors, please post them below.

I would classify the expansion to Volcano Bay and Nintendo confirmed in their own regards, but for Nintendo, it's more of a complicated beast than anything.

Compiling a list of my own, and this is pretty much what I have in terms of reading.

USF

The Future of Shrek 4D - This has been a rumor popping up more, with two possibilities being Secret Life of Pets, or a brand new Minions attraction themed to the Villain-Con location seen in the 2015 movie. Both sound like they'd be using LPS technology of some kind.

Ministry of Magic - It has been rumored (and somewhat leaked if you count a certain interview around the time of Diagon I think) that MoM would come to London. The only location that would make sense is Fear Factor Live, and presumably would extend the London Facades to border the Men in Black - Alien Attack extended queue.

KidZone - ....Well, this is an odd one to talk about. It seems as of now there lies multiple angles. One could be Super Nintendo World, with Donkey Kong; Yoshi; and Mario being major attractions. But then there lies the possible idea of a Japanese oriented land instead, with Splatoon, Sanrio, or Pokemon used for the land. As of now, I don't think we can put any form of stock to what is coming, with maybe the bare exception being SNW due to previous permits

Bourne/T2 Replacement - The Terminator 2 replacement has seemed stuck on two angles, with Bourne being the most likely out of that and Bond. They are apparently expanding the armory of the show, and should have some elements of similarity to T2 while at the same time being something brand new.

IOA

Hogsmeade Dragons Challenge Replacement - The new Dragons Challenge replacement sounds like it will be an Intamin Sit-Down coaster of some kind, with Life Formations and other groups for an Indoor/Outdoor, Highly immersive dark coaster. Originally, it was mentioned that Hagrid may have a role, but that it also seems plausible that it may fuse elements from the iconic Forbidden Forest and the story of The Goblet of Fire, and the Tri-Wizard Tournament into the attractions story-line.

Jurassic Park - Been rumored a few times in the past of a River Adventure revamp, but Hollywood seems to be the only one in line for it as of right now, unless if things have changed for it to be a project happening shortly after the DC Replacement

The Future of Lost Continent - Seems like this has been possibly earmarked for Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda. Previously, rumors circulated on Berk, Christmas Wonderland, and a few other things.

Misc - Something Marvel has been on and off the table, something The Grinch oriented has been on and off the table, and Toon Lagoon was slightly rumored previously to have Pets before it moved to Shrek. Honestly, nothing much can be said here.

Hotels

Dry N' Tame - Two Hotels will be building south of UOR, with the first to presumably open sometime in late 2019.

Misc

UOSouth - They are undergoing the process of a lot of paperwork to possibly get even more land for their project down South. Some rumors have pointed Lord of The Rings, DWA, Nintendo, and other things being headliners, with hotels consisting in the past being The Golf Channel, Cirque, and a few others into the mix.

Volcano Bay - Expansion is planned, as work may begin sooner than later for presumably a new slide complex.

And to bipedal on the holding off, Orlando isn't the only one having their cards all mostly set up, so I would wonder if there is something more to the scenes on that...

Fill me in? On the Potter stuff.
As Alicia said....and, Yeah. I'm thinking for one example, that they wouldn't want to announce anything on MoM for a while. From summer 2018 on through the year, people will be scheduling their vacations for HP coaster in 2019. If they'd announce MoM too early, Potter people might hold off on a vacation until both HP coaster & MoM are both open. This stuff all gets a bit dicey.

As Alicia said....and, Yeah. I'm thinking for one example, that they wouldn't want to announce anything on MoM for a while. From summer 2018 on through the year, people will be scheduling their vacations for HP coaster in 2019. If they'd announce MoM too early, Potter people might hold off on a vacation until both HP coaster & MoM are both open. This stuff all gets a bit dicey.

And then you have to deal with the Nintendo mess (if it comes). If Zelda and SNW get announced, people will probably wait for that. So on and so forth.

Reactions: Mad Dog