Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2019 Disney Parks Leadership Changes

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
Catherine Powell , a 15 year Executive veteran who was credited with turning the Disney Paris parks around in previous years and (is) was President of the Disney resorts Western Division, has had her position eliminated as restructuring occurs within the company. The heads of the individual resorts will now report directly to Chapek, Reported by Disney Blog......and, from the Hollywood Reporter, headline, "Catherine Powell is leaving the company after the Star Wars:Galaxy's Edge attraction launches fell flat" . As Pres. of the Western Division, Powell was in charge of WDW, Disneyland Anaheim & Disneyland Paris. ..........and now it all begins....the fallout from GESWL

Last edited:
She's the first sacrificial lamb. The GESWL fiscal disappointment is a real thing. Fan sugar coating is just denial.

With a recession highly likely, you wonder what next year will bring. Thinking more about D23’s lacklustre showings, you wonder if Disney is preparing for a tough few years.

Strangely, in addition to the good things I had heard about her, I had her penciled in as Chapek’s eventual replacement. So much for that...
He killed two birds with one stone....protected his rear like Stalin did with Trotsky, and found a scapegoat for his GESWL decision cuts.....Seems like she had a good rep. She's credited with righting the rot that was the Paris park. Perhaps Universal should scoop her up.

He killed two birds with one stone....protected his rear like Stalin did with Trotsky, and found a scapegoat for his GESWL decision cuts.....Seems like she had a good rep. She's credited with righting the rot that was the Paris park. Perhaps Universal should scoop her up.
Personally, I think she could kill it at SeaWorld. Building a fan base and fixing bad branding (see her miracle work at DLP) are some of her specialties.

With a recession highly likely, you wonder what next year will bring. Thinking more about D23’s lacklustre showings, you wonder if Disney is preparing for a tough few years.
Disney+ is going to have massive losers for the first couple years. They’ve been telling investors this for a while.

I have the feeling that they’re going to cut costs across the company to help make that loss look less awful.

Catherine had a heavy sales and marketing background before she joined Disney. Usually people with that kind of background understand what works well, and are not generally into budget cutting....but the sharpen your pencil account types usually clash with them. Seems like at Disney the sharp pencil people always win out.

Disney+ is going to have massive losers for the first couple years. They’ve been telling investors this for a while.

I have the feeling that they’re going to cut costs across the company to help make that loss look less awful.

I think Disney+ could look like a huge hit for the first year but then year two is going to be difficult. As they gain back more exclusive content, they’ll be losing the influx of cash from Netflix, Sky, home media sales etc and then as the price will inevitable go up, people will begin to lose interest and cancel their subscriptions.

This is going to give a lot more power to Chapek, and the last thing that Chapek needs is more power. Chapek is proof positive that sometimes the most incompetent people are getting paid exec salaries. He likely felt that Powell was a threat and wanted her removed before she could take over his position.

Unless Chapek is sacked soon, I would expect that things continue to go down hill both for guests and cast members since I doubt anyone with enough power really cares anymore.

As others have said, Chapek is a major problem. Honestly the small changes and cuts to entertainment, completely butchery of opening Disney's largest expansion ever, I have absolutely no faith in the parks going forward if he's the man in charge. Its really sad, frankly. He's going to take the "Disney" out of Disney.

Josh is moving from Disneyland to WDW

EDIT: Weird the IG link isn't showing up since this got merged.

Anyway here is his announcement:

It is with mixed emotions that I will be leaving the Disneyland Resort and accepting the role as president of the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando. I cannot express how magical this experience has been. But of all of the things ... it is the people I will miss most of all. The amazing Cast... our wonderful Guests... and our incredible passholders. It truly takes people to make the dream a reality. Magic has a name. It is ALL of you.

I'll be around for a few more weeks. Please give Rebecca Campbell, the incoming Disneyland Resort president, a warm welcome. I can't wait for her to meet all of you.

Last edited:
Yep, theres tons of changes that were just made along with the news we got the other day. Lots of changes coming post SWGE for this company and their parks division.

George Kalogridis, who will take on a new position, overseeing developing strategic and operational business initiatives

Is that a promotion? It sounds more like a "Let's put you here for a second before we formally let you go in 3 months. No need to show up for work. Enjoy these stocks as a parting gift."

Unrelated: I can't read a story without picturing Chapek as Tom Wambsgan on Succession on HBO.