2023 Holidays at Universal Orlando (Nov 17 - Dec 31) | Inside Universal Forums

2023 Holidays at Universal Orlando (Nov 17 - Dec 31)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Just announced

Last edited:
As someone who may be coming down for an impromptu trip the first weekend of January - what are the odds Christmas decorations/Tribute Store will be up? I know entertainment will be gone, but do they tear everything down that quick?

Lots of unhappy responses on the UO AP facebook page. People complaining they booked their vacations in anticipation of the normal Holiday events dates and now their vacation plans are ruined. A bad look for Universal, especially waiting this late to post dates. Confusion reigns, I guess.

Lots of unhappy responses on the UO AP facebook page. People complaining they booked their vacations in anticipation of the normal Holiday events dates and now their vacation plans are ruined. A bad look for Universal, especially waiting this late to post dates. Confusion reigns, I guess.

I would be mad, I went nov 12 week last year and booked earlier assuming based on the last years dates. Thankfully I decided to go the first week of december this year. Lucked out I guess.

I would be mad, I went nov 12 week last year and booked earlier assuming based on the last years dates. Thankfully I decided to go the first week of december this year. Lucked out I guess.
I would normally have booked that week, but I was unhappy about the direction Universal has been with so much 'temporarily' cancelled entertainment, so I had already made the decision to not go. It's a real shame since the previous Universal mgt. had made Universal Holidays into a better event than WDW's Holidays. But my main problem is that they took forever to announce when the event begins. I suspect they always knew, since about six months ago Joe mentioned on either here or Touring Plans, that the event was going to start on Nov. 17 or 18th. So someone must have told him. At that time, I just thought he had bad info, but that surely wasn't the case. Previous years, Universal always announced Holiday dates many months before, and even announced special hotel packages. But by not announcing, and tourists anticipating a normal two weeks before Thanksgiving start, they were able to still get hotel bookings that they probably wouldn't have gotten if they would have had a later start announcement during the summer. This almost sounds intentional, though of course there's no proof. Bottom line though, whatever really happened behind the scenes, this is a really bad look, and has upset guests that booked with the belief it would begin around the same time it normally does....Interestingly, MK changes their Halloween decorations to Holiday overnight. Most houses are off the normal guest areas at Universal Studios. While they have a bit more than MK with the scare zones in the guest areas of the park, it's not all that much more. And IOA, that has no HHN, except for the one store, could easily have a jumpstart with the Christmas decorations.

I'm sorry, when did Earl the squirrel get a girl?
AP shirt
image0.jpg

I would normally have booked that week, but I was unhappy about the direction Universal has been with so much 'temporarily' cancelled entertainment, so I had already made the decision to not go. It's a real shame since the previous Universal mgt. had made Universal Holidays into a better event than WDW's Holidays. But my main problem is that they took forever to announce when the event begins. I suspect they always knew, since about six months ago Joe mentioned on either here or Touring Plans, that the event was going to start on Nov. 17 or 18th. So someone must have told him. At that time, I just thought he had bad info, but that surely wasn't the case. Previous years, Universal always announced Holiday dates many months before, and even announced special hotel packages. But by not announcing, and tourists anticipating a normal two weeks before Thanksgiving start, they were able to still get hotel bookings that they probably wouldn't have gotten if they would have had a later start announcement during the summer. This almost sounds intentional, though of course there's no proof. Bottom line though, whatever really happened behind the scenes, this is a really bad look, and has upset guests that booked with the belief it would begin around the same time it normally does....Interestingly, MK changes their Halloween decorations to Holiday overnight. Most houses are off the normal guest areas at Universal Studios. While they have a bit more than MK with the scare zones in the guest areas of the park, it's not all that much more. And IOA, that has no HHN, except for the one store, could easily have a jumpstart with the Christmas decorations.
management still recovering from Hogsmeade opening, give them some time

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog
Remind me again, what entertainment cuts?
Not as exaggerated as Mad Dog believes... but:
  • Less concerts offered at Mardi Gras (not sure if they feel like the event no longer needs it, but it's definitely not a talent problem as Disney can schedule 3-4 months worth of acts for Food & Wine)
  • Mannheim reduced to 4 nights (compared to the 10-12 nights prior to Covid)
  • No daytime parade (I'll give this one a pass in the short term)
  • No Nighttime show (I'll give it a pass, but even before its closure they wouldn't run it every night)
  • No Hogwarts Projections (it doesn't take months to replace lighting and projectors lol)
  • 2 Empty theaters at IOA
  • Poseidon's Fury early closure
  • 1 Empty theater at USF
  • Blue Man Group theater
  • No lagoon show at HHN (I don't give it a pass as they didn't offer something else to attract guests)

I agree the announcement was way late, but the problem comes from counting backward from Thanksgiving, a floating holiday, v. Christmas. This year we have an extra week of November, essentially.

Not as exaggerated as Mad Dog believes... but:
  • Less concerts offered at Mardi Gras (not sure if they feel like the event no longer needs it, but it's definitely not a talent problem as Disney can schedule 3-4 months worth of acts for Food & Wine)
  • Mannheim reduced to 4 nights (compared to the 10-12 nights prior to Covid)
  • No daytime parade (I'll give this one a pass in the short term)
  • No Nighttime show (I'll give it a pass, but even before its closure they wouldn't run it every night)
  • No Hogwarts Projections (it doesn't take months to replace lighting and projectors lol)
  • 2 Empty theaters at IOA
  • Poseidon's Fury early closure
  • 1 Empty theater at USF
  • Blue Man Group theater
  • No lagoon show at HHN (I don't give it a pass as they didn't offer something else to attract guests)
Yep. Less entertainment for sure, even if some of it is only 'temporary'. 'Temporary' as in one, two, or three years. Bottom line, a lesser experience....even though bragging rights of record profits. Yes, I realize they're building a new park, BUT is that an excuse to offer a lesser experience....or to drag your feet on notification of a major Special Event (Holidays) date which trampled lots of tourists' vacation plans. Heh, it's not so bad that I'll never go to USO again. I'm sure that at some point they'll get their act together, like they did so well before covid. But stuff, like why they didn't give a better notice to vacationers of changing their past start of the holiday events is certainly 'a bad look' and reflects poorly on the new management. ....and...this is coming from someone who may have been the biggest Universal Orlando cheerleader on the site (see my previous years posts), at least up until the last three trips. And someone who was staying at onsite deluxe hotels for two, 10 to 14 days, vacation a year, back when almost no one was doing that. ...Frankly, I don't like the trend I'm seeing, though I'm hopeful they'll turn it around by the time Epic opens..... @SeventyOne : Floating holiday or not, there's a week difference....Essentially, this year the event starts during the super busy Thanksgiving beginning weekend. And, the very late announcement is inexcusable and shows no respect for tourists who plan vacations more than a few weeks ahead of time, which is most everyone out of state.

Last edited: