2nd USH Gate? | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

2nd USH Gate?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when it was talked about of a Universal expansion for Orlando, and people said similar.

I don't rule it out. And as a matter-of-fact, I do think Comcast, NBCU, and UPR have to know that they can't just rely on Universal Hollywood in terms of space eventually.
Given the situation with vastly higher property values and extremely more limited space finding a way to build a second park in Hollywood is far more difficult than in orlando. Unless they get lucky with someone like the golf course selling or want to demolish the remaining production they have hard limitations of what they have to work with. I don't know if it would be possible to build a park into the hills since that seems to be the only open looking land. Even if they managed to squeeze in another park somehow they would have next to no expansion space on top of already being small. USJ has more space and has chosen to their singular park.

It is absolutely most reasonable to assume Comcast cannot just fart magic and rainbows and come up with a second gate. I think if anything Comcast should just bite the bullet and buy land far enough out of LA that they have the room for a full 2 parks/waterparks/hotels resorts because Hollywood will never have enough room as it stands. The local market is wealthy and populous enough to make up for the distance in between parks being a drawback at this point.

Given the situation with vastly higher property values and extremely more limited space finding a way to build a second park in Hollywood is far more difficult than in orlando. Unless they get lucky with someone like the golf course selling or want to demolish the remaining production they have hard limitations of what they have to work with. I don't know if it would be possible to build a park into the hills since that seems to be the only open looking land. Even if they managed to squeeze in another park somehow they would have next to no expansion space on top of already being small. USJ has more space and has chosen to their singular park.

It is absolutely most reasonable to assume Comcast cannot just fart magic and rainbows and come up with a second gate. I think if anything Comcast should just bite the bullet and buy land far enough out of LA that they have the room for a full 2 parks/waterparks/hotels resorts because Hollywood will never have enough room as it stands. The local market is wealthy and populous enough to make up for the distance in between parks being a drawback at this point.

Once again, there is space. And to be honest, what exactly would be the deal if we lost Psycho House, Bates Motel, Whoville, War of The Worlds, Drupercharged, and Falls Lake?

It isn't like the Illumination Grinch is following what Ron Howard did with Whoville, the Psycho House ain't even the original Psycho House (same applies to Bates Motel), Drupercharged is the dumpster fire we know of it to be, and I would imagine they may be able to re-locate Falls Lake, and even then, I don't think we need the worlds largest blue screen to help cement Universal Hollywood's status.

I imagine the Tour is slowly reaching to a point of where we have to decide whether or not it's feasible to operate it, especially when you consider that expansion is needed.

upload_2018-5-4_19-46-59.png

Add on the fact that they are buying even more parcels on that hill, for more political leeway, and this would act more as the more logistical plot of land that they could have.

The Golf Course, is out of the question. But that I would wage that this, however, isn't. Especially if Universal bulks up (or Comcast forces the powers) to build a hotel complex. Which, I would argue could be likely, considering that they seemingly went against Hilton's Expansion (even if it was more that they went forward without Universals consent).

Reactions: k_peek_2000
Once again, there is space. And to be honest, what exactly would be the deal if we lost Psycho House, Bates Motel, Whoville, War of The Worlds, Drupercharged, and Falls Lake?

It isn't like the Illumination Grinch is following what Ron Howard did with Whoville, the Psycho House ain't even the original Psycho House (same applies to Bates Motel), Drupercharged is the dumpster fire we know of it to be, and I would imagine they may be able to re-locate Falls Lake, and even then, I don't think we need the worlds largest blue screen to help cement Universal Hollywood's status.

I imagine the Tour is slowly reaching to a point of where we have to decide whether or not it's feasible to operate it, especially when you consider that expansion is needed.

View attachment 6644

Add on the fact that they are buying even more parcels on that hill, for more political leeway, and this would act more as the more logistical plot of land that they could have.

The Golf Course, is out of the question. But that I would wage that this, however, isn't. Especially if Universal bulks up (or Comcast forces the powers) to build a hotel complex. Which, I would argue could be likely, considering that they seemingly went against Hilton's Expansion (even if it was more that they went forward without Universals consent).
with Hollywoods' luck, Universal would reuse Drupercharge, expand it to it's Orlando's cousin size, and utilize it as the new park's headliner attraction. ;) :lol:

with Hollywoods' luck, Universal would reuse Drupercharge, expand it to it's Orlando's cousin size, and utilize it as the new park's headliner attraction. ;) :lol:

Drupercharged: 2.0. Bigger, badder, and more idiotic than before.

Oh, don't forget to see Gasolina as you exit the 360 room! :tease::toast:

Nothing is off the table.

Honestly, I can see it be the cataclysm that causes the hotels to be coming in, along with Universal finding a way to get the Hilton and Sheraton to be almost as if partner hotels.

You have not been pay attention in this thread at all. It's possible. There's a reason Universal is trying to own at least 50% of the homes in the hill (and are VERY close to doing so).

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
You have not been pay attention in this thread at all. It's possible. There's a reason Universal is trying to own at least 50% of the homes in the hill (and are VERY close to doing so).

I remember talking about the homes with someone privately, but that was a few months back.

Boy, that sentence alone makes me think more and more.

View attachment 6644

While I agree with you on most things, I don't think people would take kindly on some of the studio sets, especially the Bates Motel and Psycho House, being torn down just to make more room. Plus, the Studio Tour is still popular with most tourists and guests in this country. It's what makes the park so special and different from the full-blown theme parks in Orlando, Osaka, and Singapore and honestly, the Studio Tour is pretty much fun for me. I really like to explore what is going on the backlot, even if I'm not gonna get a close look what's inside the building and SSs and the like.

Though I agree USH really needs to be a full-blown theme park instead of just a working studio and really needs to push harder since Disneyland would open up Star Wars Land next year that would attract millions of tourists to Anaheim instead of L.A. And as a Californian, it would save me money just to fly to Orlando.

Nothing is off the table.

Whoa, I can't believe this is even a conversation at this point. A 2nd gate would be amazeballs, even it were a smaller companion piece to USH.

But is this just us fanboys speculating, or is this a real possibility confirmed by insiders?

Don't want to get excited for something that is highly unlikely to happen.

But is this just us fanboys speculating, or is this a real possibility confirmed by insiders?

Mostly speculation, but the things Universal/Comcast have been doing (such as purchasing the homes next to the park) lead us to the hope of a 2nd gate. This is obviously a ways a way if it ever does happen.

I really wonder that if we do have the 2nd gate, then what will it be themed to? That's the obvious question since Universal doesn't have two or more parks within the same resort. Just like we don't know what Universal's 4th park in Orlando is gonna be themed for.

I really wonder that if we do have the 2nd gate, then what will it be themed to? That's the obvious question since Universal doesn't have two or more parks within the same resort. Just like we don't know what Universal's 4th park in Orlando is gonna be themed for.

I would assume, that if Universal does go forward with a second gate for USH, that it will follow the ideals and outlook of the 4th park at Orlando, at-least, in a level of detail and theming.

What's the ratio of locals to tourists that visit USH? How many Universal hotels are adjacent to the park a la Orlando?

What's the ratio of locals to tourists that visit USH? How many Universal hotels are adjacent to the park a la Orlando?

There are no actual Universal hotels in Hollywood.

The closest Non-Universal, are the Hilton, and the Sheraton (which both are right next to the park).

To the west, is El Royale, Studio City Inn, The Garland, Lexen Hotel, and a few others. To the East, and more south; you have the Tilt Hotel, Best Western Hollywood Plaza, Hilton Garden Inn, Best Western Plus Hollywood Hills, and the list can go on and on and on.

The only two logistical hotel spots that Universal could do for their own, would be right next to the front of the park, within the Preferred Parking Lot, or at the original Fum Lungs lot.

As far as the second gate, the only logistical place would be what I mentioned above, as a 41 acre park.

At the end of the day, we'd be dealing with an Osaka situation on hotels.

Looks like land prices are nuts right now in the area. Residential is like 12-15 million an acre in the hills. Suitable flat ground for a park that is zoned properly I cannot imagine. The new orlando acquisition was reported at around 130 million for 475 acres? Different deal for sure.

Reactions: bob albert
Looks like land prices are nuts right now in the area. Residential is like 12-15 million an acre in the hills. Suitable flat ground for a park that is zoned properly I cannot imagine. The new orlando acquisition was reported at around 130 million for 475 acres? Different deal for sure.

At the end of the day, I would imagine that the park wouldn't be flat. But that I would imagine that it wouldn't be too steep of a park to begin with.

Flatish? At any rate land costs currently are through the roof. Without the room to build hotels and trap tourists (and their money) on the property seems like a second gate would be nice for locals but not a huge revenue generator. The mouse is in the same boat in Anaheim, albeit land may be a bit cheaper down there.
I see more foreign projects happening first a la Bejing. Perhaps Mumbai (22.3 million pop.) or similar next.

Last edited:
Reactions: bob albert
Status
Not open for further replies.