Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2nd USH Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the vibe that Nintendo will be at Gate 2 (even as I put Pokemon on an different plain).

I don't get the vibe that they would do a parade, but that that's more on my own level of sight.

I also don't have the park going all the way to Kong 360, so there's that.

Well if SNW makes buku bucks (which it will), I doubt Universal Execs would turn down the opportunity to print money with an expanded Nintendo presence in the 2nd gate a la Harry Potter.

Honestly my Gate 2 would just be something that gives USH visitors a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately anything Wizzarding World is inevitable, but I think Uni could take a page out of where Disney fails in CA but succeeds on the other side of the world: Tokyo Disney Sea.

Uni needs something that screams movie magic. It's obvious Disney has no intention on building a third park yet but Uni can beat them at their own game here. Make a park icon like Volcano Bay's central Volcano/ Disney Sea's Volcano. USH LACKS this (unless you consider Hogwarts their icon), especially in terms of originality.

If Uni could start building Gate 2 right now, I'd say put Nintendo there, solves the issue of a kid central area. Have an area themed to New York/ Old Hollywood; I've said it before: A recreation ala Sardie's is RIGHT UP Universal's alley. They desperately need a table service restaurant.

I like k_peek's idea of a sci-fi city. Put in a rollercoaster themed to Star Trek like Alex mentioned and that's automatically a winner.

And lastly PLEASE no screen based attractions, or at least a lack of any.

I feel Uni should finish with rounding out USH before even planning a Gate 2. USH lacks so much and has so much potential and it's sad to see how it is compared to what the other Uni parks are like.

So you pretty much want to port the mediocre parts of USF (aside from Diagon Alley) over to Hollywood.

Cheap R&D which will keep costs down and cover the IP's which are already in place.

....unless they wanted to resurrect The Jaws Ride, T23D, & Beetlejuice...

The new Universal Creative will never return an attraction from before its time. Contracts need to be solid and in place or renewed to maintain a healthy 10 year life span.

Only Disney can use Marvel in California.

That said, Disney can't use the Marvel branding because reasons.

Cheap R&D which will keep costs down and cover the IP's which are already in place.

I would highly doubt that they would go to Singapore level.

I would argue that Universal would benefit off of having it thrive off of an overarching concept, with each land connected in some way.

The main entrance in my eyes would be a gateway to the past, with inspiration from Eastern architecture but with it's own identity. From there, it'd have a small village on the left, with a Pokemon training facility in the distance. To the right, is an entrance to Berk, as a lake acts as a focal point to the park.

The park itself, would contain a small yet intimate feel, with a high level of immersion.

But that's how I'd want to see it.

What about marvel

Universal Studios Hollywood used to have Marvel characters in its parks since 1994, but they never intended to utilize either one of them for an attraction like Universal Orland has with Marvel Super Hero Island. So back in 2007, USH ended the contract with Marvel for use in its theme park, two years before Disney bought the company.

Universal Studios Hollywood used to have Marvel characters in its parks since 1994, but they never intended to utilize either one of them for an attraction like Universal Orland has with Marvel Super Hero Island. So back in 2007, USH ended the contract with Marvel for use in its theme park, two years before Disney bought the company.
And what a bad move that turned out to be.

I feel Uni should finish with rounding out USH before even planning a Gate 2. USH lacks so much and has so much potential and it's sad to see how it is compared to what the other Uni parks are like.

To be fair, USH did start out as a Studio Tour in 1964, not an outright theme park like Disneyland was nine years earlier. In fact, USH didn't have a dark ride until ET ride opened in 1991; before that, most of the attraction scenes relied heavily on the Studio Tour and the shows as well. Other Universal theme parks started out as full-blown theme parks, giving them more power over land ownership in regards to expanding their theme parks. USH doesn't have the luxury because they don't have the political power that Disneyland has and because most of their taxes go straight to the City of Los Angeles.

And what a bad move that turned out to be.

And if the Amazing Spider-Man ride had been installed at USH in the first place (thanks to the post 9/11 budget cuts), then the Marvel rights would have been kept here in California. Too bad, it could save Universal additional licensing for Transformers in the park and just keep the Marvel rights for Spider-Man. It's damn shame they never did, would have make the park a total killing.>:O

And if the Amazing Spider-Man ride had been installed at USH in the first place (thanks to the post 9/11 budget cuts), then the Marvel rights would have been kept here in California. Too bad, it could save Universal additional licensing for Transformers in the park and just keep the Marvel rights for Spider-Man. It's damn shame they never did, would have make the park a total killing.>:O

We are learning the challenges of USH during the Kurzweil era. He made some good choices to keep the park profitable, but he never took big risks and therefore lost out on many opportunities (Spider-Man, MIB, Hotels, etc). Harry Potter really was a game changer for theme parks. Seagrams and Vivendi never knew the benefits, nor did they care. The backlot was a junkyard until Vivendi sold to GE. Once Comcast saw Potter...they saw that Green is Universal... :)

I'm really not super active in thinking about the second gate as I'm sure we're at LEAST ten years away from even getting one; not to mention it's WAY to early to predict what rides we'll get. All I really hope for is a really good dark ride and a good indoor coaster.
I would say this lineup for a 2nd gate:
Skull Island (because Kong 360 would be no more)
Supercharged
Diagon Alley
Parades
Concert Venue
Fallon
and something unique and new...it won't be Nintendo related because Nintendo will be at Universal Studios Hollywood.
Yikes, that would be a really, really weak selection for core rides. Unless DA is already at USH, get rid of those all. If we get Kong, change it up like A LOT. The GP will realize it's the same as the old tram ride.
Gate 2 has to be unique. NO CLONES.
THIS. If the only way DA was to make it out here would be waiting a long time to put it in park 2, that is the only clone we should get. Even then, they better make some changes for a ride that will be more than a decade old.

can we stop with thinking that moving two elements from the studio tour into the new park will some how be a good idea the two of them make great enhancements to the studio tour making it something no other place in the world has; tour/multiple ride/show/demonstration. It’s in my opinion the best offering from any theme park period, Universal, Disney, or other. On top of that why would people get excited to go to a new park where two of the rides were already available before the park even opened at the first.

How about this for an idea:
Classic universal land(11acres)- this area could house the Creme de la Creme attraction-Universals Great Movie Ride- housing technology to meld elements of Spider-Man to Gringotts ride elements. Imagine the screen, movement and practical elements to go through jaws attacking our boat, revisit ETs forest chase, beware the shower, etc then have the track switch to an indoor coaster going 88 mph or at least feels that way, indoor track(time machine would take us the Jurassic era with Jurassic parks dinosaurs in there own time or wait it’s jurassic Park, King Kong roars we look as the ground cracks and we fall into la as building crumble race forward through time and arrive in the future....... you get the idea( it makes sense in my head rough to put in words). Make this the premier attraction it would take up a great amount of space but what they could do with it 7 acres really and half a billion, total length 9minutes. Also in this land have classic monsters dark ride with a que similar to house of horrors.

Diagon Alley(8acres)- similar to Orlando’s but with an upgraded gringotts(more practical elements) and a ministry of magic multi level dark ride/drop ride

DreamWorks Corner(10acres)- family highly themed coaster 4 acres to berk and HTTYD, water rapids to Madagascar, and how about a trackless dark ride through Area 51 with Monster vs Aliens

Sci-fi City(9acres)- Star Trek Roller coaster highly themed/ show elements/ projection mapping and indoor 4.5 acres plus. And maybe do a dynamic motion theater attraction/show pacific rim no Godzilla or how about a revamped upgrade Terminator which is designed to the dynamic theater ability to move shift etc

Two show venues- one full on stunt show with elements of there action franchises think lights motor action but with more human elements/stunts. The other for revolving entertainment and the big night show

Have the main entry(3acres)themed to movie primiers showcasing the parks highlights with shops and eateries. Not all sold on this one yet

Total park just over 44 acres when including operations buildings/back of house.

My thoughts on something that would draw crowds.

Last edited:
After seeing the rides WB World Abu Dubai have, I really would like to see Uni make their own version of the Scooby-Doo ride. I know it's unlikely, but a Hanna Barberra Land would be really awesome. I can only imagine Uni doing a superior version of the Flinstones flume ride, Tom & Jerry coaster, and Scooby Doo dark ride.

After seeing the rides WB World Abu Dubai have, I really would like to see Uni make their own version of the Scooby-Doo ride. I know it's unlikely, but a Hanna Barberra Land would be really awesome. I can only imagine Uni doing a superior version of the Flinstones flume ride, Tom & Jerry coaster, and Scooby Doo dark ride.

Hearing what Thinkwell did for WBDhabi sounds outstanding in so many ways, I would love to see Universal get the ability of doing at-least the HB IP's for a proper attraction.

I have no doubt it would be superior. Those rides are garbage, themeing on the outside (really inside, but you know what I mean) looks great, but the actual rides are mediocre at best.

Here's a fun fact. WBDhabi is only 23 acres. As long as the park is immersive, has great rides it doesn't need to be 80 acres. Something like WBWorld would be an amazing 2nd gate for USH. Imagine an indoor Diagon Alley.
The neighbors are throwing a fit about the noise? No problem! Make it indoors! If they ever do Diagon,I can see them going that route. The way it's set up, it might as well be indoors and would be better off that way. The Dragon fire would generate too much noise.

Still, I'm totally expecting a Singapore-size park if they ever do this. The indoor aspect could totally work for them. Heck, they can make it half indoors, some outdoors if they wanted to. This would be a huge hit during inclement weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.