Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2nd USH Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you posted this in the 2nd Gate USH thread instead of say the Lower Lot Redesign thread. Are you forced to being tight-lipped about this? ;)

I didn't take the survey, nor am I a USH passholder, but it does appear that USH doesn't want anyone talking about it based on twitter reaction and what friends have told me personally.

However, Lower Lot isn't the only possible expansion plot.

I didn't take the survey, nor am I a USH passholder, but it does appear that USH doesn't want anyone talking about it based on twitter reaction and what friends have told me personally.

However, Lower Lot isn't the only possible expansion plot.

Are we talking about outside Universal City or just the upper lot?

Are we talking about outside Universal City or just the upper lot?

Again I'm no insider, but they could use the Studio Tour plaza area, that's a solid 8 acres. They could replace WaterWorld which is a good 4 acres. If they did decide to ever build a 2nd park I've been saying for a while that the Falls lake area would be perfect since it's about 40 acres.

There's always the potential of removing more sound stages on the lower lot. So lots of possibilities, it's exciting.

I have to wonder if they end up buying more homes at the hillside, to get more political control of the hills next to War of The World's to ensure that they can make larger play's to making USH a resort destination.

It's happened in the past, as noted in an IU article; so I'm wondering if they're trying to buy up more to have influence.

Again I'm no insider, but they could use the Studio Tour plaza area, that's a solid 8 acres. They could replace WaterWorld which is a good 4 acres. If they did decide to ever build a 2nd park I've been saying for a while that the Falls lake area would be perfect since it's about 40 acres.

There's always the potential of removing more sound stages on the lower lot. So lots of possibilities, it's exciting.

I recall an insider from wdwmagic (not Martin) said that Universal exes were torn between adding a 2nd gate vs expansion. It sounded like they were leaning towards expansion so you might have a point. That was about a year ago though.

Yes, they still have room for expansion. 8 acres is a nice sized land, 4 acres a nice mini-land.

Not sure if 40 acres is enough for a 2nd gate. Though I would LOVE for them to do an indoor park with the detail of Warner Bros Abu Dhabi, but with better rides obviously.

@AlexanderMBush Do you Universal executives leaning more towards 2nd gate or expansion?

Yes, they still have room for expansion. 8 acres is a nice sized land, 4 acres a nice mini-land.

Not sure if 40 acres is enough for a 2nd gate. ?

If they REALLY wanted to push things. They could expand the current park into the Falls lake area and instead of two separate gates, you have one giant park. And if they do decide to build Diagon, have them go back and fourth on the Hogwarts express.

Last edited:
The original plan in the 90s was to demolish more of the studio - in fact, a grand majority of it - and build the same planned 2nd gate as Orlando: "Cartoon World" or "Cartooniversal." The deal with WB fell apart, so the park concept did, too, and was eventually retooled into Islands of Adventure. At the time, the premise of the second gate at USH stayed dead... the studio space remains very valuable.

Source: Jaybangs

Haha Do you *think* Universal executives are leaning more towards 2nd gate or expansion?

Hmm, honestly; I think it's..more complicated than that.

UFW and Universal Beijing are massive undertakings right now (especially as Beijing has been moved up to Spring 2021), and while I do think quite a few execs could be very interested to see what they can do for getting a second gate to USH (but that's a guess)..I do think there are people who are looking into both actions, and trying to justify either side of the coin.

A second gate for Hollywood, would be a massive undertaking. And they would need to make a lot of changes to the studio and current Theme Park/Citywalk infrastructure, to even accommodate another. Could it happen? Possibly, it nearly happened once, as known thanks to Jaybangs (and other interviews if I'm not mistaken); but they..would need to make sure they can handle it.

My guess, without any knowing..is that if they are doing a second gate; it would have to be in-part of a revised plan for the 2028 LA Olympics for Universal. After-all, they are going to have a massive role for the TV aspect of the Olympics, especially this time around compared to when LA had the Olympics in 1984.

I was taking the survey. Part way through I got stuck. I was supposed to put 16 items into groups. However only 14 items appeared. It won't let me go any further unless I group all 16. I tried restarting the survey, but it just brings me back to the same spot. This bug is preventing me from getting to the juicy info.

So say universal squeezes in a second gate by gutting the tram tour and more Studio space. They would have two undersized parks with virtually no room for expansion. That might work out inititially but what are they going to do short of giving up nearly all the remaining studio space eventually for park use in order to keep people coming back after the newness wears out? I'm not buying it untill I see it.

They would have two undersized parks with virtually no room for expansion.

That is one big fat assumption right there. You don't know what Universal is willing to do. If it turns out that owning a theme park property in Hollywood is more profitable than running a movie studio - there is literally nothing stopping them from leveling the rest of the property. Not even history. Take note of recent patterns...

That is one big fat assumption right there. You don't know what Universal is willing to do. If it turns out that owning a theme park property in Hollywood is more profitable than running a movie studio - there is literally nothing stopping them from leveling the rest of the property. Not even history. Take note of recent patterns...

Anyone remember when Universal decided to remove Soundstage 28, the famous home to the Phantom sets, for Theme Park Development? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

They are investing in expansion of soundstages, thanks to the LA Olympics; but I highly agree.

If Comcast is seeing the park's, especially Hollywood's, being successful more in parks than the studio; then Comcast wouldn't even think twice. And it isn't even like Hollywood is the only commercial area NBCU/Comcast uses for productions.

I'm very interested, towards the future of the Front Lot in it's current state.

Assumption? Seriously how hard is it to understand that there is a current limitation on the amount of space they have unless they get more land?

Assumption? Seriously how hard is it to understand that there is a current limitation on the amount of space they have unless they get more land?

They could always..you know, relocate studio space to other, vacant area's of the property for the sake of Theme Park expansion.

They do have a giant hill area, once formerly planned for a version of the NBCUniversal Evolution; that could be used for relocating parking, soundstages, and sound/editing buildings.

upload_2019-3-15_19-11-29.png

If they are willing to drop a few billion into a massive USH expansion (As they seemingly are with Beijing and UFW/Site B), it could be a dual-budget to include studio updates for the eastern portion of the property.

You're obviously not familiar with the property as a whole. There's 380 acres worth of land. Only 100 or so being used by the theme park.

Studio facilities can be moved offsite. They're just empty buildings and wooden facades.

Status
Not open for further replies.