93rd Academy Awards | Inside Universal Forums

93rd Academy Awards

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I find it hilarious that with Trolls 2 or Croods 2 didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Picture in what was such a bad year for movies. It was the right decision though as Wolfwalkers and Over The Moon were far more deserving and Farmagedon looks bonkers right up the Chicken Run alley.

Although I guess thinking about it, as bad as it was for movies in general, Animation still had a pretty decent year. Pretty much a normal year (aside from movies playing at home instead of theaters for the most part) when you think about it.

Reactions: Tristan
I find it hilarious that with Trolls 2 or Croods 2 didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Picture in what was such a bad year for movies. It was the right decision though as Wolfwalkers and Over The Moon were far more deserving and Farmagedon looks bonkers right up the Chicken Run alley.

Although I guess thinking about it, as bad as it was for movies in general, Animation still had a pretty decent year. Pretty much a normal year (aside from movies playing at home instead of theaters for the most part) when you think about it.

I don't think Comcast nor Dreamworks cares that much. They still had the some of the highest grossing animated films worldwide this year despite not getting Oscar Noms and The Croods: A New Age stayed Number 1 in the box office for a long time.

Reactions: Nick
Hollywood loves movies about moviemaking, so it's not a real surprise "Mank" has the most nominations...

This is a pretty well-balanced lineup all things considered. Super happy to see stuff like Minari, Promising Young Woman, and Sound of Metal get strong attention. Nomadland will more than likely prevail, and I think it'd be a great winner.

Pleased to see both Time and Collective make it in the documentary lineup. Probably my two favorite films of 2020 and definitely worth checking out.

Yup, Hollywood movies about Hollywood are almost always represented at the Academy Awards.
Which is funny, because the last Hollywood movie about Hollywood that was anywhere near Oscar worthy was Ed Wood - and that makes it in on heart and visual design only.

PYW would certainly fit the Picture/Acting/Screenplay trend of recent winners...
Screenplay is almost a redundant category because if a film is the “Best Picture”, then there’s a reason for it and and the Screenplay is basically the bones of any movie (unless it’s a case where it’s a silent movie like “The Artist”, which didn’t win screenplay, but director and actor as deserved).

Which is funny, because the last Hollywood movie about Hollywood that was anywhere near Oscar worthy was Ed Wood - and that makes it in on heart and visual design only.

I thought The Disaster Artist was a pretty good film and that was fairly recent.

Screenplay is almost a redundant category because if a film is the “Best Picture”, then there’s a reason for it and and the Screenplay is basically the bones of any movie (unless it’s a case where it’s a silent movie like “The Artist”, which didn’t win screenplay, but director and actor as deserved).
To be fair, there are two awards, Best Screenplay, for original stuff and Best Adapted, for adaptations from plays, books, comics, etc