Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Adult" Halloween Event for DCA?

Knotts is so good and caters better to non locals as the houses are mostly repeats but high quality. It is an easy bus ride from knotts and packed AF. I think disney needs an event like this and would sell it out easily but they need to make it a serious competitive event. I am not sure they have the space or motivation to make that happen.
I

Knotts is so good and caters better to non locals as the houses are mostly repeats but high quality. It is an easy bus ride from knotts and packed AF. I think disney needs an event like this and would sell it out easily but they need to make it a serious competitive event. I am not sure they have the space or motivation to make that happen.
I
I mean most every event they throw sells out

oggie sold out and didn’t even have WOC this year

I've been thinking about this obsessively for at least a decade. Scarezones in Hollywoodland and Pixar Pier would be so freakin' awesome. I think the only land that'd be a bit odd to be included is Cars Land now. Marvel land oddly will work, especially with Marvel zombies. I loved the creepy Pinocchio in that commercial above, give me ALLLL of that. Another easy grab is Alice in Wonderland, they've been doing haunts on that for years. It'd also be great to see some ride overlays -- totally doable for something like The Little Mermaid or Monsters Inc. Would love something like a weird continuation to Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror, kinda like sequels -- exploring their "basement levels" so to speak of those attractions, conjuring up scarier versions of what once was. Another haunt I am DYING to see is somethin for Sleepy Hollow -- headless horseman is very much a mascot for HalloweenTime, and would be great in Grizzly Peak.

LineUp --
- Alien: Nostromo (Hollywoodland)
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Grizzly Peak)
- The Curse of Pinocchio (Pixar Pier)
- Alice in Wonderland: The Red Queen (The Little Mermaid)
- Marvel: Zombies (Avengers Campus)
- Tower of Terror: Basement Level (Hollywoodland)
- The Haunted Mansion: The Bride's Revenge (Hollywoodland)

I'll pay $400. Let's do it.

I doubt this is gonna happen. There’s no way to execute a scary Halloween event at Disney without pissing off parents that accidentally bring their children because “It’s Disney!”

Anyways, don’t they have Michael Roddy on staff?

I doubt this is gonna happen. There’s no way to execute a scary Halloween event at Disney without pissing off parents that accidentally bring their children because “It’s Disney!”

Anyways, don’t they have Michael Roddy on staff?

From what I’ve heard of that guy, he used to work at Orlando’s Disney, not Anaheim. That and he was fired from Disney (and based on what I’ve heard on the circumstances, I doubt he’s ever coming back).

From what I’ve heard of that guy, he used to work at Orlando’s Disney, not Anaheim. That and he was fired from Disney (and based on what I’ve heard on the circumstances, I doubt he’s ever coming back).

Wow, yeah he was asked to resign with Universal Creative over allegations of misconduct. Guess the dude’s just all around bad news.

If Disney were to execute a proper haunt, I think they’d need to lure over someone from the HHN team.

I wouldn't expect this rumored event to be a HHN style haunt fest. More sexy and trippy than traditional Disney events but not really scary. Maybe 4 mazes/houses. Like a trippy White Rabbit maze paired with a Mad Hatter's Electric Tea Party dance party. So, bassically Ooogie Boogie with some mazes, scaractors, and a special WoC show.

Although, a walk through the Nostromo could be epic. And I would pay good money to see Muppet's Phantom of the Opera in The Hyperion.

I wouldn't expect this rumored event to be a HHN style haunt fest. More sexy and trippy than traditional Disney events but not really scary. Maybe 4 mazes/houses. Like a trippy White Rabbit maze paired with a Mad Hatter's Electric Tea Party dance party. So, bassically Ooogie Boogie with some mazes, scaractors, and a special WoC show.

Although, a walk through the Nostromo could be epic. And I would pay good money to see Muppet's Phantom of the Opera in The Hyperion.
If they had four houses to play with this is kinda what I want to see:

-Marvel Zombies
-Alien
-Mad Hatter gone dark
-Nightmare Before Christmas

I think this would be a pretty good line up of houses for the event. Maybe as a bonus, they could throw in an outdoor maze/gauntlet at the Redwood Creek area.

I found this that I created early this year...

Disney’s California Adventure Terrorific Night:

Mazes:

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Soundstage 17)
Alien (Soundstage 12)
Villains: Night on Bald Mountain (Mission Breakout Tent)
The Museum of the Weird (Blue Sky Cellar)

Scare Zones:
Terrorific Bash (Buena Vista Street)
The Director’s Cut (Hollywoodland)
Marvel Zombies (Avengers Campus)
Dead in the Waters (Pacific Wharf)
The Redwood’s Horseman (Redwood Creek Challenge Trail)

Shows:
The Muppets Great Science Fiction Picture (Mickey's Philharmagic Theatre)
Young Frankenstein (The Hyperion Theatre)
Wicked-tacular: World of Halloween (World of Color)

This lineup of attractions could make for a really fun event.

Last edited:
Wow, yeah he was asked to resign with Universal Creative over allegations of misconduct. Guess the dude’s just all around bad news.

If Disney were to execute a proper haunt, I think they’d need to lure over someone from the HHN team.

A part of me kinda hopes that Roddy was indeed innocent and is a pretty swell dude but I really doubt it.

Wait, I thought he was fired from Universal, not “asked to resign”. That only furthers my suspicions. If he really wasn’t guilty why didn’t he stand up for himself?

Going on topic; yeah as people noted before; Disney going into haunt territory isn’t new. Hong Kong Disneyland was doing it for years with their Haunted Halloween event; from what I’ve seen of them they went to pretty dark places. Sadly there’s not much footage of the houses from the early years; I didn’t keep in touch with recent years. Disneyland Paris had “Terrorific Night” but that didn’t have a whole lot of attractions, and I believe was canned either due to poor reception or overpriced tickets. IDK.

I'd have to think if DCA is considering this, they'll take inspiration from Knotts and opt to do varied experiences, determining on the IP.

Alien, Night on Bald Mountain, and Nightmare Before Christmas have more than enough material to be done really well for a scare event. Especially if they diverisfy the experience to be different for each specific IP.

That'd then allow Marvel Zombies to then headline the scare aspects for WoC, alongside any potential overlays they wish to add (like say, that rumored RSR overlay).

The thing about The Nightmare Before Christmas that is interesting to me is whether Burton would sign off or not? He didn't want his characters (apart from Oogie Boogie) to be scary or bad; it was something he stressed to Selick while the movie was being made. So would he be okay with a haunt where the characters are scaring people? I mean, it would be in character, but I know he can be touchy about things like that (see: the fact that Selick had to add a crank handle to the bathtub that walks in Nightmare because Burton felt magic wasn't supposed to exist in Halloweentown).

The thing about The Nightmare Before Christmas that is interesting to me is whether Burton would sign off or not? He didn't want his characters (apart from Oogie Boogie) to be scary or bad; it was something he stressed to Selick while the movie was being made. So would he be okay with a haunt where the characters are scaring people? I mean, it would be in character, but I know he can be touchy about things like that (see: the fact that Selick had to add a crank handle to the bathtub that walks in Nightmare because Burton felt magic wasn't supposed to exist in Halloweentown).

Considering he signed off on Beetlejuice for Universal; I'd assume he would sign off for Nightmare in some fashin.

And I do think if Nightmare comes, it is more centered on Oogie than the OG film.

I love that there are ideas in here as I’ve also been thinking of this obsessively LOL. I like all of the things that have been mentioned particularly a Tower of Terror maze as i feel its still relevant to their crown mainly being locals and would be kinda funny. I think what Disney has working for them is the fact that they wont be expected to do book report mazes like Universal as they dont have much at there disposal. So they can create original concepts using the IPs they have rather than recreating the film/ tv show itself.

some IPs I would through in the ring are WandaVision, Maleficent, The Twilight Zone (separate from TOT), POTC, The Matterhorn, and Hocus Pocus. I would also love a maze inspired by some of the more macabre classic shorts done in the same black and white style as HHNO’s Dead Exposure.

I could talk about this forever theres so much potential lol.

If Disney were to add more "adult" elements to their Halloween events, I see no world where that would stretch beyond a "PG" representation even if the properties themselves stretched into PG-13 occasionally. In terms of what they could do similar to HKDL's mazes, I would look at their most recent Nightmare Before Christmas maze or the Nightmare Experiment mazes in terms of how far Disney would be willing to push it. Nowhere near what HKDL did pre-2016 in terms of houses. This would likely be added onto OBB as opposed to being its own separate event just with some "spooky walk throughs" that would feature a couple of show scenes and maybe a jump scare or two. I would be shocked to see Disney ever get anywhere remotely close to HHN in terms of content or format.

Edited to add: The content would likely be entirely PG. I'd be genuinely shocked to see any property that could be considered genuinely scary included. Basically, limit yourself to anything that millennials would define as "cute and spoopy," stuff that would be featured in some type of Freeform Halloween marathon, etc.

If Disney were to add more "adult" elements to their Halloween events, I see no world where that would stretch beyond a "PG" representation even if the properties themselves stretched into PG-13 occasionally. In terms of what they could do similar to HKDL's mazes, I would look at their most recent Nightmare Before Christmas maze or the Nightmare Experiment mazes in terms of how far Disney would be willing to push it. Nowhere near what HKDL did pre-2016 in terms of houses. This would likely be added onto OBB as opposed to being its own separate event just with some "spooky walk throughs" that would feature a couple of show scenes and maybe a jump scare or two. I would be shocked to see Disney ever get anywhere remotely close to HHN in terms of content or format.

Edited to add: The content would likely be entirely PG. I'd be genuinely shocked to see any property that could be considered genuinely scary included. Basically, limit yourself to anything that millennials would define as "cute and spoopy," stuff that would be featured in some type of Freeform Halloween marathon, etc.
FWIW, Alien is in this year's Freeform Halloween schedule :ninja: