Alton Towers Secret Weapon 7 (SW7) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Alton Towers Secret Weapon 7 (SW7)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
HTF

Yep, confirmed too. There is talk it may be 2 euro fighter , 2x4 RVs joined together to make the train, looking at the layout I think they would struggle as it looks like a real tight twisty coaster. I think we will see something brand new from Gerst. Time will tell so keep tuned.

Any thoughts HTF?

More Aerials were indeed taken yesterday, I will put these up as soon as I can get to a PC rather than mobile.

No insight here, my thing would be that track doesn't look any heftier than previous models and given the speed and load these new trains could produce it seems difficult. It's got to be a heavier gauge steel track or they have found a way to cut the fat on the trains. But again, no idea.

UPDATE....

Ok before I link you to the latest update I thought you might all like a little back ground info on the theme and marketing of the new ride SW7.

Back during Scarefest ATs had a scare maze called the sanctuary, this was a place where you went to visit Dr Kelman to"get corrected"

Dr Kelman
538583_426567354080381_1747766331_n.jpg

Is life a burden? Are things getting you down? Lost your Smile? Then check yourself in for a refreshing check up at The Sanctuary.
The Ministry of Joy will launch its next revolutionary project in March 2013. After being closed for new patients for almost 50 years The Sanctuary, The Ministry of Joy’s earliest establishment, is now holding important trials searching for ‘Advocates’ for its 2013 project. So please, book your appointment, get yourself comfortable as the Doctor will see you now.
The Sanctuary is a brand new scare maze which is located near X-Sector inside the theme park! New developments during construction of SW7 have found an area where human experiments were carried out in the 1900′s by a controlling force only known to some as “The Ministry Of Joy” – Will you make it out alive?

Taken from AltonTowers.com

So the scare maze was a prequel giving some insight into what SW7 may have in store for us, further more AT have recently announced that the Sanctuary will open for the start of the 2013 season. This will compliment the new ride perfectly. So as you can see AT are really pulling out the stops with a fantastic amount of effort going into the back story, themeing and marketing. I find this really exciting as the effort put in shows AT want to be taken seriously as a world class theme park resort with themeing that could be up there with some of the best.

Click below for a detailed description of the Sanctuary
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/things-to-do/alton-towers-the-sanctuary-braving-the-doctors-254851&ei=Z3T5UP7NO6S50QXazIHQCA&usg=AFQjCNFVYF-VOgk_frYcnl1mOYh8OtGD8Q&bvm=bv.41248874,d.d2k

Courtesy of the Birmingham Mail.

The "Smiler" logo, as seen in my avatar was first seen all over the park , It has recently started to appear all over the country, from other Merlin attractions, to the London underground, Birmingham and Leeds, it was even found painted on sheep, as posted by another member.

BAv_OoRCIAAD4y5.jpg:large

The Legoland Discovery Center

Courtesy EllieFleet on Twitter

The name "The Smiler" has been registered by Merlin and manty believe it to be the name of SW7, it could also be the name of the secret element or even the name for the enterprise, an existing ride in the same area (X Sector) of the park, this ride is undergoing an extensive refurb. The truth is no one yet knows.

There has been a lot of snow in the UK so progress is minimal but here are the latest construction pics

sw7hero3.jpg

Courtesy of TowersTimes.com and taken by MI7 (TTs pilot)

unfortunately the rest of the update is still members only, I will re link if and when this changes. Usually 12 hours.

You can join up and see the updates here if you wish.

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/latest-photo-updates-(latest-update-10th-december-2012)/

An over view of the park, oh how I miss Orlando right now
1.jpg

Image by MI7 and posted on TTF

So there you have it, March 16 opening date, more chance patting rocking horse poop, IMHO. Whenever it opens It has the making of a great ride and I will be one of the first in line.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Disclaimer.... I am no insider and all the info is readily available online. I have just gathered it all in one place for fellow fans to enjoy. I have tried to link every quote and picture, if I have missed any please let me know and I will give credit to the relevant place.

The aerials are all by MI7 and owned by Towerstimes.com, they have a linking policy so I cant just post all the photos, I will however contact the owner to see if we can have access to any more.

Last edited:
Gah, I really hope it does open on time, as my Merlin AP runs out early April.... I wanna squeeze a couple of trips in before it runs out (we're not renewing as we're "Disneying" this year).

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the Sanctuary at this years Scarefest!

Gah, I really hope it does open on time, as my Merlin AP runs out early April.... I wanna squeeze a couple of trips in before it runs out (we're not renewing as we're "Disneying" this year).

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the Sanctuary at this years Scarefest!

There is no confirmation of a delay, BUT, ATs had a count down timer on there site that was removed a few weeks ago and there are no longer mentions of the 16th anywhere. They are also telling hotel customers that they can change dates if need be. Looking at the weather and current construction pics Id say highly doubtful to open for opening day of the season, just my opinion not fact.

Merlin currently have an offer on for AP renewals, from £74 for a standard pass, bargain. Can buy now to start when your current one expires.
I'm renewing plus I got me a Disney PAP and will get a Uni power pass soon too. Its gonna be a great year :whoo: :whoo: :whoo:

Yes the sanctuary was fantastic. The doctor will see you now :yikes:

Good news :happy:

The guys over at http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/ have given me permission to hotlink all construction pictures taken by MI7 (TTs Pilot). It just so happens that ADZ, who runs TT, is a big Orlando fan and is a member here too :thumbs: :wave:

So here we go with the latest photos....

Staging Area
1.jpg

Transporting track to site
2.jpg

Top end of the site, lots to do here yet.
3.jpg

Cobra roll and Bat wing elements. Some in the community ares calling these 2 elements "The Staffordshire knot".
4.jpg

Station with first drop, this should end up underneath the shop. It is rumoured the shop will have a glass floor.
5.jpg

What is going on behind that block out? Oblivion also in the pic, top left, coming out of the hole after it,s vertical drop.
6.jpg

Close up of the "pit" a lot of earthed was excavated from here. Be interesting to see how they finish this area, plaza, water, planting who knows.
7.jpg

We should see a lift hill up the right hand side soon.
8.jpg

Many thanks to Adz and MI7 over at http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk for allowing me to use there pictures.

Last edited:
That looks like it is going to be a monster of a coaster. Not for those with a weak stomach.

On a side note: Jealous of your weather right now. You have snow while we suffer in record high temperatures and half the state on fire. With 50 degrees C across the whole centre of the country and +40 C around the coasts. Sorry no Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
That looks like it is going to be a monster of a coaster. Not for those with a weak stomach.

On a side note: Jealous of your weather right now. You have snow while we suffer in record high temperatures and half the state on fire.

Seen your weather on the news over here, awful fires, hope you all stay safe:thumbs:

Seen your weather on the news over here, awful fires, hope you all stay safe:thumbs:
Yea pretty bad. We are 50m from the beach so we are all good, but my uncles house is right in the path of one of the large fires. Its been a risk for a few days now so hopefully they get it under control. Anyway sorry for the change of topic.

well, the weather is interesting over the next week. lots of snow and freezing cold, with a few days looking to peak at about 5 degrees Celsius. I don't reckon much work will be done any time soon.

Yet another mystery Tweet from Alton Towers.

BA-X2_iCcAEUoTM.jpg:large

http://t.co/q4KPn3Gc

And this one could this be a hint at the name of SW7?

BBADIDMCcAIdxzX.jpg:large

http://t.co/TGGwc6mi

THE INOCULATOR?
in·oc·u·late (-nky-lt)
tr.v. in·oc·u·lat·ed, in·oc·u·lat·ing, in·oc·u·lates
1. To introduce a serum, vaccine, or antigenic substance into (the body of a person or animal), especially to produce or boost immunity to a specific disease.
2. To communicate a disease to (a living organism) by transferring its causative agent into the organism.
3. To implant microorganisms or infectious material into (a culture medium).
4. To safeguard as if by inoculation; protect.
5. To introduce an idea or attitude into the mind of.

Seems to fit with the sanctuary and Dr Kelman.

Who knows? they are frying my brain now.

Marketing have certainly been busy these last few days.

Last edited:
They have done some very unique marketing in the past. Oblivion was my favorite though, a top secret site with paid actors if I remember correctly.

They have done some very unique marketing in the past. Oblivion was my favorite though, a top secret site with paid actors if I remember correctly.

Spot on HTF, the Phalanx were the security for the area and indeed they were played by actors protecting the ride area.

Last edited:
New marketing video shows up on you tube
sw7.gif

[video=youtube;DaevIe6zbt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DaevIe6zbt8[/video]

I thought they were really behind with construction but with all the marketing we have seen maybe there not as behind as I thought. One can hope.

Next aerials are going to be interesting. Need the snow to stop so we can get some clear skies.

After doing some digging I don't believe the ride will be called "The Inoculator". Alton Released the word in a viral and I think it will be part of the marketing, maybe part of a phrase or a part of the ride, but NOT the name of the ride it's self.

Last edited:
just watching the video you've posted makes me want to go to AT to ride it, was debating on another thorpe park trip as even though its further away it was a nice change to AT which ive done aboue three times a year for the past few years... but this is making me think twice! May wait a bit before going though so queue's aren't too bad! some part's remind me of the saw ride at thorpe park like the carts/cars...

just watching the video you've posted makes me want to go to AT to ride it, was debating on another thorpe park trip as even though its further away it was a nice change to AT which ive done aboue three times a year for the past few years... but this is making me think twice! May wait a bit before going though so queue's aren't too bad! some part's remind me of the saw ride at thorpe park like the carts/cars...

Same manufacturer and ride system as saw.

Gerstlaur eurofighter, we are expecting different cars to the video though, should be 4x4 instead of 2x4 like on saw.

Im also hoping it rides better as I find saw a bit of a head banger, there is talk of lapbars instead of OTSRs which would help immensely, would be a more thrilling ride too.

Thorpe is good park with I love stealth, Inferno and the swarm was worth the trip alone, usually make the trip once a year. Alton is on my door step though

Last edited:
Was going to say if its lap bars I'm not of on it!! Aha took me forever to pluck up the courage to go on saw! Saw wasn't that bad of a head mover for me but I think i was more concentrating on trying not to break my friends hand so may have made me not realise how bad it was (I'm a big scaredy cat re heights and going up that drop vertical argh!) but hopefully the height on this isn't as high so should be okay! AT is about a forty minute drive from me compared to a three hour to Thorpe park - loved the swarm! Main reason we went last year was to try swarm out :)

Only a Lapbar with that many inversions?

Hopefully:thumbs:

Check out dare devil dive, granted not as many inversions put proof it is doable

[video=youtube;x-Bnojwbv7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=x-Bnojwbv7E[/video]

Last edited: