Alton Towers Secret Weapon 7 (SW7) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Alton Towers Secret Weapon 7 (SW7)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Staff are on site today attempting to clear snow. We should know by the end of the day if it will open or not.

The pressing thing is further delays to The Smiler. It's already providing rather a rush to get it ready for May. If this weather keeps up we will have another delay!

Alton Towers have just announced that they are to re-open tomorrow from 10am.

http://www.altontowers.com/weather-updates/

Last edited:
Construction continues in the snow...

35kv8yp.jpg

35kv8yp.jpg

Photos from Lee, Alton Towers Guide facebook account.

Been on park for a couple of hours this afternoon. Constuction stopped for the weather for 2 days, they manages to get up and running again yesterday. 2 pieces of track went in whilst I was there.

Smiler update....Go

DSC_0188_zps55bf356d.jpg

X Sector

DSC_0055_zpsd55f5787.jpg

New track pieces since my last visit

DSC_0109_zps2a362e8f.jpg

DSC_0006_zps4d62cc56.jpg

Air time hill track

DSC_0048_zpsc499b518.jpg

DSC_0070_zps9149428b.jpg

Fixing track into place

DSC_0065_zps1fd9249a.jpg

Up Close and personal, Smile. Always.

DSC_0064_zpse2c2388d.jpg

New air time hills to the left of this pic

DSC_0123_zps23050b65.jpg

Another angle showing air time hill with trims

DSC_0076_zps2c78be48.jpg

Inside the station

DSC_0062_zps48c5f406.jpg

Station walls going in

DSC_0086_zps8664dde5.jpg

DSC_0083_zpsf24aa233.jpg

Ground works continue at the top end of the site

DSC_0122_zps84438aec.jpg

I had a good scout round the car park and could not see any lift hill. Maybe the rumours of them being ready off site are correct?

DSC_0186_zpsdac287e3.jpg

DSC_0183_zps0737c5aa.jpg

Few geek shots

DSC_0181_zpsbaf1597f.jpg

DSC_0180_zpsf392c8f1.jpg

DSC_0179_zps60943589.jpg

Smiler update....Stop

DSC_0184_zps3646e52e.jpg

Please give credit and link back to http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smiler/secret-weapon-7-construction/msg716002/#new if replicated

Thanks for the update, Roodles! I loved the "go" and "stop" :lol:

This is gonna be crazy! Inversion after inversion after inversion after inversion after inversion.... :died:

They cannot build above tree height and rides should not be visible from outside of the park.

To do with keeping the locals happy, and not blighting the countryside.

Although this is a pain in the backside it has resulted in some fantastic rides as they have to think out side of the box.

example....Oblivion was the worlds first dive coaster and has a drop of 196ft even though the lift hill is only 60ft, the rest goes underground, or into oblivion. The ride cost £12m back in 1998 (She just had her 15th birthday) a huge chunk of this would have been excavation.

Another example is Nemesis, rockwork were blasted out and she is built into the pit these rocks left behind this makes it the intense ride that it is.

Back on topic, The Smiler has also had massive excavation to bring it in line with the height conditions, the cobra roll and batwing sit in a huge pit. You can see the pit in th epic below.

5.jpg

Site line plans

SW71.jpg

201215144826_large01.jpg

Super imposed plans

imposedimage2%20(37861).JPG

All plans can be found here

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?keyval=LWI1WJPG0D700&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=P3

Latest aerial shot showing the whole of Xsector.

579490_304940172968799_1312289457_n.jpg

Aerial from https://www.facebook.com/TatenhillAviationLtd

Last edited:
That situation totally makes these rides unique and really some of the most interesting anywhere for that matter. Good to see they have taken this restriction and turned into one of their advantages.
I really want to see what is behind that blue box that is blocking something :lol:

How far is the park from London?

Their are aerial shots in this thread without the bluebox Hockey, it doesn't really hide anything.

I believe it to have been a red herring, leading us up the garden path if you like. It worked because no one guessed we were going to get this awesome coaster.

Alton Towrs is right in the heart of England approx 2 hours 48 mins from London

AltontoLondon_zps1fdddb25.jpg

I live in Derby, you can see it on the map SE of Alton Towers, 30mins drive away. Are you planning on a trip Mike?

Their are aerial shots in this thread without the bluebox Hockey, it doesn't really hide anything.

I believe it to have been a red herring, leading us up the garden path if you like. It worked because no one guessed we were going to get this awesome coaster.

Alton Towrs is right in the heart of England approx 2 hours 48 mins from London

AltontoLondon_zps1fdddb25.jpg

I live in Derby, you can see it on the map SE of Alton Towers, 30mins drive away. Are you planning on a trip Mike?

I eventually want to make it over there but not sure when. Probably years away, our next big trips will be to Disneyland and a Disney cruise hopefully in the next couple years.

I was just checking out Derby on Google street view and looks like a nice little town

Last edited:
Trains arrive onsite.

After months of talk regarding the Smilers trains all the rumours and speculation can be put to rst as the trains have been delivered to Alton Towers.

Alton Towers have been posting the pic via Twitter.

Ready for unwrapping

BGcUGKWCQAAm-Yo.jpg:large

Teaser shot

BGc8wogCMAEMeB-.jpg:large

OTSR are confirmed. I for one am gutted and hope these dont give a head banging experience similer to Saw the ride.

And the big reveal........

news-pic-trains-01.png

Very yellow, I think they will contrast well against the black track. Not sure if I like them or not.

Intersting optical illusion on the back of the seats

Edit.

Just noticed Mike has already posted. So I guess it was not so much of a big reveal :rofl:

Last edited:
Three things

1. Awesome update Roodles!
2. Alton are the masters of sight lines regardless of restrictions
3. Are they trying to make people vomit with that art work on top of the layout of this thing?!!?

Three things

1. Awesome update Roodles!
2. Alton are the masters of sight lines regardless of restrictions
3. Are they trying to make people vomit with that art work on top of the layout of this thing?!!?

That optical illusions art work plus a mimimum 14 inversions could indeed be asking for trouble:ack:. Maybe they will have paper bagsin the hold :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Latest construction update.

Spent the day on site today, got a good ride count but an even better construction photo count, below are just a few of the 146 I took today.

As already reported the first leg of the marmaliser went in today, below is the story of how it was installed.

Plans for fixing the legs in place.

DSC_0311_zps39d9cdc4.jpg

And a bit closer

DSC_0312_zpsdeab1b29.jpg

Starting the lift

DSC_0219_zps28ee42ef.jpg

Marmaliser LED screens

DSC_0196_zps5b2e92e6.jpg

Marmaliser in place

DSC_0200_zps46e9a506.jpg

Fixing into place

DSC_0218_zpsdb13074a.jpg

Leg on the move

DSC_0235_zps68a397d7.jpg

DSC_0236_zps69ccc53c.jpg

DSC_0237_zpsf48c1093.jpg

Putting into position

DSC_0233_zps471ba9b3.jpg

Marmaliser leg bracket

DSC_0223_zps0da521ac.jpg

begining the lift of the second part of the leg

DSC_0289_zps13fa1a0a.jpg

Side view

DSC_0290_zps500231cf.jpg

Fixing to the body

DSC_0299_zpsfcdd6a27.jpg

Waiting to fit onto the first section

DSC_0293_zps0c4d871e.jpg

Fixing the leg into position

DSC_0307_zpsf754d5fa.jpg

DSC_0308_zps9611cf8c.jpg

Marmaliser body and first leg in place

DSC_0329_zpsf833e0a8.jpg

Footer for next leg and possible themeing part?

DSC_0278_zpsa639de06.jpg

No track was installed today but it is installed all the way upto the top end of site (except for the near side airtime hill) as the marmaliser was in the way, unti today. Ground works were in full force with diggers shifting tonnes of earth, footers being placed and concrete was being poured.

Track all the way up to the top end of site

DSC_0330_zpsde88d640.jpg

Concrete was being pumped onsite for most of the day

DSC_0228_zpsa3c9f6e7.jpg

Nearly ready for the lift hill

DSC_0249_zpseaaf458b.jpg

Other random construction pics

Mainatenance shed and station in the background

526461_10151608344783185_2068572452_n.jpg

More of the walls are complete and marmailser parts in the foreground

DSC_0205_zps4f8a65cc.jpg

Close up of the walls

DSC_0304_zps4f8e3b98.jpg

DSC_0305_zps2d48acc6.jpg

I counted 20ish track pieces in the car park, only 3 of those were straight pieces and I presumed these to be maintenance building track. There is still no sign of any lift hills.

Great update Roodles!

Question: With regards to the lift hill, is it going to be a standard chain lift? Or is it launched? Also when do you think they will install it?

:thumbs:

I was hoping for a launch but I believe we are looking at 2 chain lifts one of which will be vertical. There are still no lift hill parts on site which leads me to believe thet will turn up prefabricated. If this is true they wont take long at all, also with trains onsite they will be looking wrapping up the track asap. Rumour was track to be finished by month end but snow seems to have held them up yet again.

Once the last few footers are in and the ground works complete it shouldn't take long at all.

Last edited: