Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

An EPIC Adventure - A Live & Interactive trip report

This is the day, it's finally here :grin:

Yes guys and gals it is

DAY 1 - Manchester Airport

So I just checked in online for tomorrows flight to NYC with Thomas Cook Airlines and we got seats together. Always makes me laugh when airlines try and charge to choose your seats early, Thomas Cook wanted £20 each for the privilege

I'm just about packed and ready to go. I will be getting picked up at 2PM to make the hour and a half journey to our airport hotel.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express, cheap and cheerful, with good amenities, small bar and restaurant and a decent breakfast included. Nice way to relax before tomorrow mornings flight.
A "small bar"....completely necessary to fortify you for the long flight. :)

Like usual I'll make sure you are a little short. :shifty::grin:
Funny how my bar bills are always the largest when drinking with you guys.

Just sat at the airport waiting for our gate top open.

Had a good night's rest at the hotel, nice breakfast and plenty of cawfee (getting my NY on lol) before the short transfer to the airport.

In a little over 8 hours we will be in NYC, yay.

Funny how my bar bills are always the largest when drinking with you guys.

Just sat at the airport waiting for our gate top open.

Had a good night's rest at the hotel, nice breakfast and plenty of cawfee (getting my NY on lol) before the short transfer to the airport.

In a little over 8 hours we will be in NYC, yay.
First western Pa. language lesson for future reference: The plural of you is Yinz.

Mark: The Statue of Liberty was just evacuated due to an apparent fire on the island. You might want to follow that story and keep tabs on when it's reopening, since I know it was on your trip agenda.

I intend in getting the very most out of it so Ill also be looking for tips and Ideas when I'm there, maybe you can suggest a great roof top bar whilst I am in NYC or have a must do for Kennywood, I wanna know it all :grin: Oh and if you are in town, in a park or nearby when Im in town, give me a shout, maybe we can have a beer :cheers:.

Hey! I work in NYC so best of luck on getting everything in.

Some suggestions for food/drinks:
1. Dead Rabbit-down in the Stone Street area of the financial district, it's got some of the best drink's I've ever had. The Irish Coffee is a must.
2. Employees Only-speakeasy type of bar on Hudson street. It gets crowded as the night goes long, so get there early so super late. (Last call is 4 am)
3. Spyglass Rooftop Bar at The Archer Hotel. It has one of the best views of the Empire State Building. It's a want to be fancy type of place but the view is great.
4. Fraunces Tavern- down by Southstreet Seaport, it's a tavern from George Washington's days. Porterhouse Brewing Company serves beer there and the food is good too!

I can go on and on but if there's anything in particular you're looking for, let me know and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Hope you and the GF enjoy the trip and potentially get a show in.

1. Dead Rabbit-down in the Stone Street area of the financial district, it's got some of the best drink's I've ever had. The Irish Coffee is a must.
2. Employees Only-speakeasy type of bar on Hudson street. It gets crowded as the night goes long, so get there early so super late. (Last call is 4 am)
3. Spyglass Rooftop Bar at The Archer Hotel. It has one of the best views of the Empire State Building. It's a want to be fancy type of place but the view is great.
4. Fraunces Tavern- down by Southstreet Seaport, it's a tavern from George Washington's days. Porterhouse Brewing Company serves beer there and the food is good too!

I can go on and on but if there's anything in particular you're looking for, let me know and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Hope you and the GF enjoy the trip and potentially get a show in.
Dead Rabbit....sounds like the four corners in the Gangs of NY movie, a similar scenario of what's being played out in today's society of the anti immigrants born to early immigrants (The Nativists in the 1860's ) vs. the later immigrants (the Irish in the 1860's)). History repeats cycles. Not much is really new.

Last edited:
Dead Rabbit....sounds like the four corners in the Gangs of NY movie, a similar scenario of what's being played out in today's society of the anti immigrants born to early immigrants vs. the later immigrants. History repeats cycles.

Good catch! That area is full of landmarked buildings from that era. The bar is actually named after the gang.

Also in the bar, Liam Neeson signed a stone cross he carried into battle in the first scene's battle and is in the stairwell there.

Mark: The Statue of Liberty was just evacuated due to an apparent fire on the island. You might want to follow that story and keep tabs on when it's reopening, since I know it was on your trip agenda.

Think we're just going to cruise by lady liberty I the Staten Island ferry.

So we're here, nice room with a vote of the Empire State, it's just a block away. Flight was ok, ticket booths for the air train and subway were a nightmare, made or it saand sound though.

After a long day travelling wee don't have a great deal planned, maybe go out and see times square later to get it out of the way and probably an early night ready for a big day exploring tomorrow.

Thanks man

Think we're just going to cruise by lady liberty I the Staten Island ferry.

So we're here, nice room with a vote of the Empire State, it's just a block away. Flight was ok, ticket booths for the air train and subway were a nightmare, made or it saand sound though.

After a long day travelling wee don't have a great deal planned, maybe go out and see times square later to get it out of the way and probably an early night ready for a big day exploring tomorrow.

Thanks man
Make sure you see Times Square when it's dark. That's when it shines with all that neon. CBBR pool area neon a thousand times over. Try to do the Metro Museum, adjacent to Central Park. The Egyptian tombs are especially impressive.

Broadwayforbrokepeople.com If your plans aren't super set see a show or two on the cheap by getting rush tickets. You would have a good chance of winning the wicked lottery. Even if you aren't a big musical fan the scale of the production is worth seeing. Also frozen Tix pop up on StubHub for like $50 late often and as someone who hasn't been frozened out already I thought it was visually awesome and underrated. School of Rock should be fairly easy to get and I can't imagine anyone not having a good time at that show.

I imagine that one of those nyc explorer passes or the like is a good deal if you are seeing a lot of the other tourist stuff.

So had a snooze this afternoon and finally headed out into the bright lights and big city.

Staying io 35th W between 5th and 6th nice room and awesome location. We headed up to times square for a look around, big, bright and brasb, pretty much as expected really. Carried on up broad way checking out all the shows, thanks for all the tips on the shows guys, may well try and catch a show later in the week.

Checked out the plaza but didn't see Kevin not did we see the Donald at Trump tower, ssecurity was heavy though. Also saw Comcast, NBC and Chrysler buildings and chilled out at Bryant park, I'm sure I've seen the impractical jokers do a skit there on TV, looked familiar.

Picked up a Wendy's for dinner, love Wendy's and sat eating it in the room looking at it view of the Empire State.

Want an early start tomorrow to try and beat the crowds, rope drop the rock is first in the agenda.

First day has been a long one but a good one and I've already got a good vibe about NYC, in going to have a good time here .