Annual Pass Prices - Grandfathered Price not Honored Anymore? | Inside Universal Forums

Annual Pass Prices - Grandfathered Price not Honored Anymore?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MrRoamer

V.I.P. Member
May 20, 2013
Local
I know there are similar threads but most of them looked like different topics. Please move if I missed it in the search.

I just got an email talking about AP price increase coming. I'm pretty sure I had been grandfathered in at the old prices (I've had my AP since 2000ish and upgraded to Preferred around 2006). I do have wife and kids' passes on my card so wondering if it is just for one of theirs possibly.

Have any of the other long time pass holders gotten one of these emails?

Yup. Definitely not being grandfathered in either. Now I have to pony up $334.99 for my Premier or continue to flex at $38 a month.

Yup. Definitely not being grandfathered in either. Now I have to pony up $334.99 for my Premier or continue to flex at $38 a month.
$335 is still a relative steal for the premier though. Not surprised they aren't grandfathering extremely low prices anymore.

$335 is still a relative steal for the premier though. Not surprised they aren't grandfathering extremely low prices anymore.

Eh. Since I'm not a local, I really don't use the perks as much as I could to make it worth it. But as high as ticket prices are these days, I still find the value in it.

It is still a decent value, but I imagine some people won't renew. Depends on your budget and how often you go. I know we aren't renewing but we never were. There is 1 ride my daughter can ride in Universal and 2 in IOA. As much as my older one loves it we just don't go enough to justify the cost. We will go enough this year to justify the cost because of friends and family in town. But next year those same people are not going to be in town.

It is certainly still a bargain. For me it's cheaper (Perm AP, even at full price) than 2 14 day tickets is have needed for this year, and I get to skip bag check by using valet parking, express after 4 and the discount on merch and food is a plus too.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I can't knock the AP, even at a higher price. As a tourist, I get so much use out of it, I end up paying less than $10 a day to go to the parks. That's a bargain of bargains. :)

Reactions: Jon84
Wonder if like with the single day tickets if Disney follows suit and raises their annual prices too. Luckily I just renewed Disney. Uni I won't be renewing this year, so this doesn't effect me. Is this is line with past % increases?

Wonder if like with the single day tickets if Disney follows suit and raises their annual prices too. Luckily I just renewed Disney. Uni I won't be renewing this year, so this doesn't effect me. Is this is line with past % increases?
It doesn't look like it is that big of a jump from price before to price after but what I'm seeing in the email doesn't match quite match up to the link that @BriMan posted.

I created this post because what I got it is a pretty good size jump from what I was paying to what will be paying (VERY Large Increase)

Edited: to take out actual percentage of increase

It doesn't look like it is that big of a jump from price before to price after but what I'm seeing in the email doesn't match quite match up to the link that @BriMan posted.

I created this post because what I got it is a pretty good size jump from what I was paying to what will be paying (VERY Large Increase)

Edited: to take out actual percentage of increase

The percentage is based on price last year vs this year. Not grandfathered rates.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. My Preferred AP renewal went from $159.99 to $259.99. $276,89 with tax (about a 60% increase.) We go often so its still a good deal for me but still a steep bump. But when you consider the old price has not changed in years, and all the money they have put into the parks, its still a fair price if you go 4 or more days a year. Sometimes the onsite hotels discount can really reduce the cost of the pass.

The percentage is based on price last year vs this year. Not grandfathered rates.
Yeah I know, trying to figure out how the Flex Pay works into it and where the taxes are figured out and all that jazz (also if there is still any form of discount still in there). Not saying anything you posted was incorrect and as always it is greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. My Preferred AP renewal went from $159.99 to $259.99. $276,89 with tax (about a 60% increase.) We go often so its still a good deal for me but still a steep bump. But when you consider the old price has not changed in years, and all the money they have put into the parks, its still a fair price if you go 4 or more days a year. Sometimes the onsite hotels discount can really reduce the cost of the pass.

I know 100% that I am still getting my money's worth out of the pass as we do go a lot. I have also said that I currently support Universal increasing prices with the many things that they have added destination wide.
I'm only trying to verify that the old grandfathered price I had and the new price (jump in my preferred pass is 36%) is being seen by other people or if I should try contacting Universal if it could be a mistake.

Reactions: Brian G.