Ant-Man | Inside Universal Forums

Ant-Man

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
God, I hope this gets made. :lol:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World co-writer/director Edgar Wright tells 24 Frames that he resumed writing the script for Marvel Studios' Ant-Man this week. It's been more that two years since he's had a chance to do so, though he had previously written a first draft of the script.

The site added that Wright had just come from a dinner meeting with Marvel Studios production head Kevin Feige.

"This one's not about about the urgency of summer tentpoles and things going into production without a script," said Wright, "It's slightly different than that."

This film is happening, and is being directed by Edgar Wright. Test footage was shown at SDCC, and its release was later confirmed on Marvel's site.

The logo:
detail.jpg

Gotta say I'm not too thrilled with this becoming a movie. But I'll have to trust Marvel and try and keep an open mind.

Ant-Man is actually a pretty tragic character (if somewhat of a jerk in his later years). I wonder if Wasp will be included at all.

He's an essential part of the original Avengers, there's no reason he shouldn't have a place in the Marvel universe. I look forward to this.

Ant-Man is actually a pretty tragic character (if somewhat of a jerk in his later years). I wonder if Wasp will be included at all.

He's an essential part of the original Avengers, there's no reason he shouldn't have a place in the Marvel universe. I look forward to this.

I'm totally fine with him being a part of the Universe, and definitely the Avengers. I'm just not too interested in a stand alone film.

If theres one character I really want to see with a stand alone film its Hawkeye I just got really interested with the character in the Avengers...

Eh... I don't think Hawkeye deserves his own film.

Aye. Hawkeye & Black Widow are supporting characters - we get all we need to know through their roles in Ironman 2/some extent Thor/The Avengers. I'm sure there'll pop up more in Phase 2 of the Marvel Universe (Captain America 2, Thor 2, Ironman 3) and of course The Avengers 2. To me, it'd be like making a solo film out of Boba Fett... could be cool and done well but just kind of unnecessary.

But back to Ant-Man, I've read the initial runs (and then some) of all the major Marvel franchises - The Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc. I really do think Ant-Man, handled correctly in this expanded universe, could do some really fun stuff once you get past his... well... peculiar abilities. Keep in mind, the man is a genius on the level of Tony Stark in terms of his inventiveness... in the comics he's invented a whole gallery of space-age tools.

Blech. So is this the 2014 movie? Terrible solo movie idea, IMO

Nope, Guardians of Galaxy was announced as well. (And looks spectacularly bizarre and "out-there" for what the Marvel Universe has given us thus far.)

Why do you think it's a terrible idea? Many fans have been clamoring for it.

Because Ant Man isn't a viable solo movie project. He doesn't have his own villains to take on without the Avengers. Nor is he a likes or character

"In my opinion..."

As for the villains? Um... Ultron? Scott Lang? Thanos prep? There are plenty of options.

"In my opinion..."

As for the villains? Um... Ultron? Scott Lang? Thanos prep? There are plenty of options.

Ultron is an Avengers villain. And no one knows who the hell Scott Lang is. Thanos prep? I'm sorry, but that's a stretch to base a film off of. It could be passable...but Ant Man is definitely the last guy I want to see a movie on. Marvel better hope the fanboys turn up in droves for this multiple times

Ultron is an Avengers villain. And no one knows who the hell Scott Lang is. Thanos prep? I'm sorry, but that's a stretch to base a film off of. It could be passable...but Ant Man is definitely the last guy I want to see a movie on. Marvel better hope the fanboys turn up in droves for this multiple times

Ultron has been a villain of the Avengers, but he (it?) is integral in the development of Hank Pym (aka Ant-Man's) character. Pym created him/it and has been haunted by it ever since. He's his foil, the symbol of technological innovation gone awry. He could easily be introduced/built by Hank in this film and take on The Avengers alongside Thanos in later Avengers films.

As for your argument on Scott Lang... nobody in the general movie populace knew who the hell Whiplash, Iron Monger, War Machine, Abomination, Thanos, or debatably even Loki were, either. Their respective films introduced those characters to the masses - only the huge ones (like Doctor Doom, Green Goblin, etc.) are known to the general public before a major blockbuster film. Ant-Man would theoretically introduce Scott Lang. It's not really the selling point to the film, anyway, as long as the villain appears threatening and appealing in the ads (which could easily be done). Scott Lang actually lends a lot of emotional weight to the Ant-Man stories and could be neat if executed correctly.

And finally, as for the Thanos prep, Thor was a film that prepped Loki for Avengers 1. I concede that this is probably not gonna be the plot of Ant-Man (it makes more sense for him to be the antagonist of Guardians of the Galaxy), but my point is it's not out of the question for Ant-Man to set up a major villain for one of the other flicks.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on not wanting to see this film, but it seems Marvel is convinced it'll do well enough. The outcry of fan support doesn't hurt its chances. That, and it'll probably have a lower budget than some of the other mega Marvel films, so less risk. The bottom line is Hank Pym has to be introduced into the Marvel Universe... and he's too important/complex of a character to be shoehorned into one of the other planned films.

Last edited:
Ultron has been a villain of the Avengers, but he (it?) is integral in the development of Hank Pym (aka Ant-Man's) character. Pym created him/it and has been haunted by it ever since. He's his foil, the symbol of technological innovation gone awry. He could easily be introduced/built by Hank in this film and take on The Avengers alongside Thanos in later Avengers films.

As for your argument on Scott Lang... nobody in the general movie populace knew who the hell Whiplash, Iron Monger, War Machine, Abomination, Thanos, or debatably even Loki were, either. Their respective films introduced those characters to the masses - only the huge ones (like Doctor Doom, Green Goblin, etc.) are known to the general public before a major blockbuster film. Ant-Man would theoretically introduce Scott Lang. It's not really the selling point to the film, anyway, as long as the villain appears threatening and appealing in the ads (which could easily be done). Scott Lang actually lends a lot of emotional weight to the Ant-Man stories and could be neat if executed correctly.

And finally, as for the Thanos prep, Thor was a film that prepped Loki for Avengers 1. I concede that this is probably not gonna be the plot of Ant-Man (it makes more sense for him to be the antagonist of Guardians of the Galaxy), but my point is it's not out of the question for Ant-Man to set up a major villain for one of the other flicks.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on not wanting to see this film, but it seems Marvel is convinced it'll do well enough. The outcry of fan support doesn't hurt its chances. That, and it'll probably have a lower budget than some of the other mega Marvel films, so less risk. The bottom line is Hank Pym has to be introduced into the Marvel Universe... and he's too important/complex of a character to be shoehorned into one of the other planned films.

I agree.
I want this more than the TGotG to be honest. Hopefully this leads to Ultron and Vision.
I want to see it be a lead in for the Wasp and Giant Man, however I am a little worried about Giant Man... a forty foot tall dude is good if your fighting Godzilla , just don't know about how much it will work in a movie. I can see the small aspect as it has been done with the Honey I Shrunk movies and Inner Space, I really want to see the test footage.

I agree.
I want this more than the TGotG to be honest. Hopefully this leads to Ultron and Vision.
I want to see it be a lead in for the Wasp and Giant Man, however I am a little worried about Giant Man... a forty foot tall dude is good if your fighting Godzilla , just don't know about how much it will work in a movie. I can see the small aspect as it has been done with the Honey I Shrunk movies and Inner Space, I really want to see the test footage.

I don't think we'll be seeing him introduced until closer to Civil War to avoid that problem. :look:
As for antman I see this as a film that they really want to make and not some kind of cash-in. I have faith that this will turn out really well.

Here's the part of the Marvel panel from Comic-Con with Edgar Wright discussing Ant-Man

[video=youtube;xChGwFrDxE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChGwFrDxE8[/video]