Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Artegon Site for New Theme Park?

Oh I seriously hope they don't get that land.
Herschend has some very solid parks. Very clean, good staff, good loading times, and a multitude of shows (at least at Dollywood and Silver Dollar City). I'm all for them vs someone like a Six Flags (who I have a season pass to, so I still go, but it is what it is) who is the opposite of all of those.

They actually operate better and more efficiently than Legoland or Busch Gardens in my experiences. If you're opposed to it via any "religious" viewpoints they have- then I'd recommend you be less close-minded. If that's not it, I'm curious what it is.

Dolly's Mt. Christmas Ski Resort and Lodge.

•3000 family suites with gas fireplaces.

Christmastown:

•Celebrate Christmas every day
•Indoor Ski Resort and Tubing Runs
•Ice Skating in Christmastown Square
•hourly snowfall
•Christmas themed snacks, hot chocolate, and adult beverages.

Mt. Christmas Hot Springs Swimmin' Hole

•Indoor Water Park

Well the bar is open.......

frostys

Herschend has some very solid parks. Very clean, good staff, good loading times, and a multitude of shows (at least at Dollywood and Silver Dollar City). I'm all for them vs someone like a Six Flags (who I have a season pass to, so I still go, but it is what it is) who is the opposite of all of those.

They actually operate better and more efficiently than Legoland or Busch Gardens in my experiences. If you're opposed to it via any "religious" viewpoints they have- then I'd recommend you be less close-minded. If that's not it, I'm curious what it is.
Cool your keys. It definitely isn't religious regions. I don't normally take offense to things but I don't post enough or for one to even speak on open or closed minded ness lol. For the record which I am very open minded.

Cool your keys. It definitely isn't religious regions. I don't normally take offense to things but I don't post enough or for one to even speak on open or closed minded ness lol. For the record which I am very open minded.
You didn't answer his question about why you hope they don't get the land though...

Hah- all good- I said if it wasn't I was curious what it was. :)
This is why I hate the internet browser on,my phone. It isn't as flawless as the laptop. I miss some things.

My reasons are different. But they don't quite sit well with the majority. Let's just say, for as long as I can remember especially being a younger local I hope that land turns into something more "Local".

Dolly's Mt. Christmas Ski Resort and Lodge.

•3000 family suites with gas fireplaces.

Christmastown:

•Celebrate Christmas every day
•Indoor Ski Resort and Tubing Runs
•Ice Skating in Christmastown Square
•hourly snowfall
•Christmas themed snacks, hot chocolate, and adult beverages.

Mt. Christmas Hot Springs Swimmin' Hole

•Indoor Water Park
Is this real?? I am in LOVE with this!

Ironic...I was hoping Herschend would buy the Sea World and Busch parks when they were for sale...Good parks, good people

I'd be really surprised if Herschend has the money to buy SeaWorld. If SeaWorld goes up for sale, I could maybe see WB or Viacom buying them. It's a great way to start up your own chain of theme parks without as much up-front cost. You get to sell off a couple parks for immediate cash, and then get to slowly build out the remaining parks while still making money from them.

I'd be really surprised if Herschend has the money to buy SeaWorld. If SeaWorld goes up for sale, I could maybe see WB or Viacom buying them. It's a great way to start up your own chain of theme parks without as much up-front cost. You get to sell off a couple parks for immediate cash, and then get to slowly build out the remaining parks while still making money from them.
Like you, I doubt it will happen....But it's possible, and happens occasionally where a smaller company acquires a larger, using the assets to get financing. The problem with Sea World though is that it's real value has been pretty much downgraded, so that would complicate a buy from someone like Herschend.Probably couldn't get financing at an acceptable rate, even if they were interested.....I just don't see much of a market for SeaWorld, and that's probably why they didn't get offers last time. Their business plan just doesn't work anymore. And they crippled the worth of one of their crown jewels, BGW, through some really horrible management.

Any chance Universal buys this land? Large plots or land are hard to come by in the tourist areas and it's semi-close to where the third park would be going. I'd also think it'd just be nice to have extra land (if they could get it for a decent price).

Any chance Universal buys this land? Large plots or land are hard to come by in the tourist areas and it's semi-close to where the third park would be going. I'd also think it'd just be nice to have extra land (if they could get it for a decent price).

I would assume with 213 acres on this site, it provides more space for resorts so they don't have to potentially use as much land on the other plot. The main thing probably is cost and whoever buys it may effect the cost with them raising the place for comcast more so than anyone else. But I think that would fill out Universal's plan for the future with them buying out Seaworld Parks and Entertainment.

Gz7Kujy.png

Last edited:
I would assume with 213 acres on this site, it provides more space for resorts so they don't have to potentially use as much land on the other plot. The main thing probably is cost and whoever buys it may effect the cost with them raising the place for comcast more so than anyone else. But I think that would fill out Universal's plan for the future with them buying out Seaworld Parks and Entertainment.

Comcast isn't interested in buying an animal park... not a lot of profit can be made.

It's a concept that Herschend is working on. They haven't decided on where. The Artegon property or someplace at Myrtle Beach.
I think that's a perfect concept for the Artegon site in particular. They can't get a shopping complex to work there, I don't think a theme park would be a good fit, and the last thing International Drive needs is just more hotels, but this would be a happy medium between the two. Great combination of attraction and lodging, would appeal to both locals and tourists, probably wouldn't exacerbate the traffic problems in the area like a theme park or successful shopping center would, and very unique in Orlando's portfolio.

Not so much the park...the land though is valuable. Its prime location plus in proximity to the third park makes sense for them to utilize as an expansion pod later on. Plus Discovery Cove is a decent money maker.

I think the Sea World concept as it exists is doomed. But you still have a prime chunk of land by the Convention Center zoned for theme park use with a fair amount of infrastructure--e.g. parking lots, kitchens, a couple show venues, in addition to three solid coasters. Throw in a still successful water park and an uber-successful boutique park, even if you have to rebuild and rebrand (and I think you do, a lot of the infrastructure is garbage), it's still the easiest way to get in the Orlando theme park game.

Admittedly I'm a Floridian by way of the northeast, and they seem to be more a midwest/northwest thing--but I'm still not sold on an indoor water park in Orlando. I've known exactly three indoor pools in central Florida (former Ramada on 192, two in Daytona)--they just seem moldy with an overwhelming chlorine smell. And realistically there's at most 4 months out of the year you can't use a heated outdoor pool. My college friend in Washington (state) let her kids grow up going to one, but I just don't know. I would think if any of the outdoor water parks are remotely an option, they'd win out.