Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Artegon Site for New Theme Park?

This whole thing may be BS just to drive up the price.

That's what I'm thinking especially looking at the layout. That would add another hub for Universal with its proximity to Wet N Wild to set up another theme park campus. Wasn't there multiple rumors Universal was looking at that land and with it being so cheap, it wouldn't just be a dime in the bucket for Comcasat.

This whole thing may be BS just to drive up the price.
That would actually make a lot of sense. It would seem silly to abandon the mall concept after investing so much into it. There are areas of the mall that they've put money into remodeling that haven't even been opened to the public yet. Not to say it's impossible, but the building and recent remodel obviously play a part in the pricing of the property so the new owners aren't just buying land they're buying a mall just to replace it with a park.

This is coming from the Orlando Sentinel and the Orlando Business Journal. They both say they have inside sources verifying what they have published.
I would imagine that if this just BS that it's not just a wild rumor. If I were the landowner and wanted to start this speculation I would have a friend who would be considered an inside source make an off the record comment to a local reputable media outlet. It's not like they're going to just go posting on message boards or something if they want to create legitimate speculation.

Unpopular opinion: I think there is potentially a market for this, if they "own" their downmarket status. Still a fair number of tourists looking for a deal in that I-Drive area, and Orlando has gone from a podunk even as late as 1989 to a top 25 US city. That's a lot of locals, many of whom are priced out of WDW unless family gets them in, and who keep watching prices climb at UOR as well. (Reminds me of a conversation at HHN the other night--how do you sell $10 beers to a crowd of 20-somethings who barely make over minimum wage.) A reasonably priced alternative* could find its niche.

Six Flags has been rumored forever--a year or two ago they were supposedly looking at Boardwalk & Baseball--but it seems to me their main competition is the idea of Universal as opposed to Disney. Thrill rides and a superhero land sounds like UOR before Potter. I think Six Flags would go a little further away geographically--realistically, southwest of Disney, or maybe Volusia. Or wait a few more years for Sea World.

Know very little about Dollywood, etc., but could probably go with a Florida cracker/swamp theme or even just a wild West theme and do well.

Whomever it is, I think this backs up the general thesis of the Attendance Decline thread: Disney theme park and especially hotel prices have climbed too high. The industry smells blood in the Orlando waters. Ironic that TWDC spent billions on "blue ocean" development only to face a redder ocean than ever.

*Full disclosure, only non-Orlando park I've been to in my adult life was DisneyLand, so I could be off here on pricing. But I can't believe those places get $100/day.

Six Flags has been rumored forever--a year or two ago they were supposedly looking at Boardwalk & Baseball
Boardwalk & Baseball has been developed into Posner Park for quite sometime, however a big chunk of the unused land was recently sold at auction. I don't know if that would be enough space for a reasonable size park though. It would be fine by me though as I could just walk across the street to go to a Six Flags park!:)

People forget that Six Flags hasn't built a new park since 1971 - in St Louis. All other parks since then are previously owned parks they purchased. Plus its been indicated the owners of Six Flags Georgia have made it clear they do not want a park in Florida.

People forget that Six Flags hasn't built a new park since 1971 - in St Louis. All other parks since then are previously owned parks they purchased. Plus its been indicated the owners of Six Flags Georgia have made it clear they do not want a park in Florida.
This is why I originally did not suggest Six Flags as a possibility. I think they only built three of their parks. I had not heard about the Georgia owners objections but it makes perfect sense. I wonder if they have veto power over a Florida park.

Having said this, Six Flags is talking about opening new parks in other countries so maybe their attitudes on building have changed

I hope this isn't true. I love Artegon, was there earlier today actually. It's a pretty unique and quant place with lots of cool stuff to do and see. Orlando doesn't need a rinky dink crap theme park that won't really compete with Universal and Disney.

I agree, although in fairness the whole abandoned mall feel of Festival Bay wasn't very good for business. My favorite was how they would cover all the unoccupied store fronts with printed vynyl photos of fake stores.
I was there many years ago when most all the storefronts were filled.

Must be my memory trying to fill in the spaces then.:)

Was going to say, even in its heyday when it had Steve & Barrys and real tenants like Hot Topic, fake stores always outnumbered real ones. But those photo-realistic curtains were convincing. ;) It was beautiful tho, still like new even a decade after opening--ripping out that tile work should have been a crime.