Aspiring Park Photographer | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Aspiring Park Photographer

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Always had Canon Slr's and then Dslr's when they rolled out. Imho canon are streets ahead of Nikon in technology, image quality and range of lenses.

So if you're looking to further your photography skills, there's loads of good advice in this thread by other posters. Dslr really is the best way to develop your skills. Dslr's give you so much creative control over your pics it's a no-brainer. However, as others have said; after a couple of days of lugging a slr ad a couple of lenses around, you'll be wishing for a top quality compact instead.

Always had Canon Slr's and then Dslr's when they rolled out. Imho canon are streets ahead of Nikon in technology, image quality and range of lenses.

true that is your opinion but from a technical and practical stand point nikon does have the better technology (ex: RGB Metering in Nikon VS B&W Metering in Canon)

also not to be a douche but nikon has superior glass as well (why do you think most people shooting video on their 5Ds use nikon glass?)

Last edited:
From my experience, and from what I've seen: Canon takes better night/lower light shots than Nikon.

depending on the price point. and models that you compare that could be true either way but generally true at the same price point. however now the Nikon D7000 has changed that and is better than most high end dslrs (even other nikons)

however night shots depend heavily on who is shooting them. you NEED a tripod and have to find the right camera setting or itll look grainy even on the best cameras.

Last edited:
Nikon's Lenses are the BEST... but I prefer the Canon bodies...

go to a store and play with the demos and see which body feels the best to you if you go the DSLR route... after all, you can still take comparable photos with both... it's just for certain people who get nit picky with their shots and can tell immediately there is a spec of dust where it should not be...truthfully with skill you can take the EXACT SAME PHOTO with both... (heck universal is using BOTH Canon and Nikon right now for future promotional material and documentation.. I saw it last weekend at mardigras)

however night shots depend heavily on who is shooting them. you NEED a tripod and have to find the right camera setting or itll look grainy even on the best cameras.

You don't need one. It just makes it easier. :lol:

From my experience, and from what I've seen: Canon takes better night/lower light shots than Nikon.
I have Horror Night friends who bought a D-90 just because of how good of night pics it takes. BUT personally I can't take sh** at night. That's prob because I'm still a fledgling/amateur and learning photographer.

I have Horror Night friends who bought a D-90 just because of how good of night pics it takes. BUT personally I can't take sh** at night. That's prob because I'm still a fledgling/amateur and learning photographer.

night pictures with no tripod quick how to:

get a fast lens f/1.8 open it all the way up
set the ISO as high as possible without introducing too much noise (1600 for some cameras)
set the shutter speed as low as you can without introducing camera shake (if still not enough light set the camera on a solid surface and use a remote to trigger for a nikon they are only like $20)

shoot in RAW and set the white balance to auto. lights outside have weird color temperatures so you'll manually adjust them later.

Oh, I'm not saying you can't get good shots. It's just after several discussion with pro/experienced photographers, the common consensus was that Canon's were better for night/low light.

I just found this thread and I must BUMP it for it's awesomeness. Thanks everyone for the advice! I got a Rebel T3 a few months ago, and I've been so busy I haven't had that much time to play with it, but I'm getting it out more and more lately. I wanted to ask:

What lenses do you guys recommend for the Rebel T3?

Tips for cleaning/caring for the lenses?

I just found this thread and I must BUMP it for it's awesomeness. Thanks everyone for the advice! I got a Rebel T3 a few months ago, and I've been so busy I haven't had that much time to play with it, but I'm getting it out more and more lately. I wanted to ask:

What lenses do you guys recommend for the Rebel T3?

Tips for cleaning/caring for the lenses?

I am getting this lens before HHN this year! I said it last year but I spent to much money on our trip to HHN Hollywood, Disneyland, and the Grand Canyon!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-...eras/9979969.p?id=1218204947964&skuId=9979969

I am getting this lens before HHN this year! I said it last year but I spent to much money on our trip to HHN Hollywood, Disneyland, and the Grand Canyon!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-...eras/9979969.p?id=1218204947964&skuId=9979969

Holy... expensiveness! But I guess expensive cam, expensive lenses.

Are you asking about what focal length lenses or what brand? I believe that most brands use their own lens mounts and are incompatible unless an adapter is used.

Any advice is welcome! LOL! I'm a total novice with DSLRs...

What kind of SLR are you using, and what do you primarily shoot? Because while the 50mm f/1.4 is a great, sharp lens, if you're using it on an APS-C sensor body, its applications are a bit limited beyond portrait photography. If it's at all possible for you to save a little bit more money, I'd recommend the 28mm f/1.8. If you intend to primarily shoot landscapes/theme park stuff, you'll be glad you have the extra breathing room in your frame, as the 50mm is the equivalent to an 80mm lens on a cropped body.

Last edited:

Did you ever get this lens HTF? Sigma is coming out with a new 35mm f/1.4 that im debating on getting next year but also want to get a new camera body so may hold off on getting the lens. Its a lot of money for a lens that I would really only use taking dark ride shots and some night shots and not sure it would be worth the investment.

No and funny that you speak of this because I just got an email from corporate. Apparently I was enrolled in a vacation buy program that I never elected. I just caught it about three weeks ago and was trying to figure out what it was. Long story short I'm getting about a grand back on my next paycheck. Due do it pretty much being money I never had I'm gonna put half into an IRA or some kind of savings account and then probably treat myself to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital..._3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355847335&sr=8-3&keywords=T4i

Anyone have any thoughts on the camera choice? I am looking to upgrade the body only and the digic 5 processor is something I am really leaning towards.