Attendance Tracker | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This has little to do with Pulse and the alligator attack and way more to do with Brazil's economy and the issues they're having down there (plus I imagine locals won't dare travel around the time of the Olympics).

Do you mean locals in Florida? Or locals in Brazil? I was confused by that part, so I have to ask. :)

Sea World stock has been hit again after the boost from the killer whale announcement. An attendance decline will not help that. Mako has been well received so hopefully that will help with locals visiting.

Disney's attendance booster tools have usually been hotel deals and more free dining. With Disney Springs hotels offering new deals I would imagine WDW resort deals to not be far behind.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Mako has been well received so hopefully that will help with locals visiting.

Eh, well received by the blog-o-sphere. Yesterday it's wait times seemed to top out at 10 minutes. And it's likely the most restrictive ride in Orlando, a sizeable percentage of the population will never ride. I'm still not convinced one ride can save Sea World--and if one could, not sure Mako is it.

Eh, well received by the blog-o-sphere. Yesterday it's wait times seemed to top out at 10 minutes. And it's likely the most restrictive ride in Orlando, a sizeable percentage of the population will never ride. I'm still not convinced one ride can save Sea World--and if one could, not sure Mako is it.
Good points. I think for Sea World to be successful it has to become a more ride oriented sea themed park rather than aquarium with a few rides.

Note that WDW did poorly the summer of the World Cup in Brazil.
Note to self: Go to WDW next time the World Cup is in Brazil.

Universal just went 24 months without a new attraction, and boarded up 2 E tickets(Hulk & Disaster) and 1 D ticket (Twister). I think Universal's attendance will kick back in once Kong's opening is more well known and Hulk reopens next month.
Wouldn't it be a kick if WDW attendance went down while Universal's went up after these openings?

Even if Universal just stays steady again in the next financials report or even gets a slight drop, WDW looks to do worse. I wonder when the stories will start popping up in the press about what is Disney doing wrong in comparison to Universal. Most stories so far are about a loss of market share, not actual loss of traffic. Disney will talk about all it is building, but the openings this year might not have helped and the rest is a ways down the road. I think Disney knows this is coming and will focus on profit. In another post I've already mentioned the spin on a decline in traffic being good for the overall guest experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
My partner works as a bartender/server at a well known restaurant at The Florida Mall and sells are down this summer.... definitely Brazil and now Brexit won't help us much this year. These 2 countries are the main foundation of Central Florida's Economy, and then we got Puerto Rico, and things are not great down there with their economy either... So this could turn into a situation when it comes to economical and job growth. Even Cast Members have told me they have no block dates on their passes for the entire summer in all 4 parks (except 4th July at MK) and that's not very common.... specially MK!! :saywhat:

Cast Members have told me they have no block dates on their passes for the entire summer in all 4 parks (except 4th July at MK) and that's not very common.... specially MK!! :saywhat:
That is surprising. With it being all summer it suggests that WDW saw this coming and expects it to last a while.

Here is a segment from a May 10 Orlando Sentinel article covering the decline:

Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger told analysts the company was focusing on raising revenue even at the expense of attendance increases.

"We like the steps we've taken in terms of pricing," he said. "We've taken a number of steps … to essentially grow revenue, in some cases actually at the expense of some attendance."

Iger said the company is "changing our pricing approach, sometimes in part to moderate attendance so the park experience is a little bit better, but all designed with the effect of essentially raising revenue."

In February, Disney put into effect variable pricing that spikes ticket costs at the busiest times of year. Last year Disney changed its annual-pass system in an attempt to shift demand and implemented big price increases.

Still, Disney from mid-March to April 1 lifted blackout dates on special Florida-resident three- and four-day tickets. Some analysts saw that as a sign Disney was trying to boost attendance that had fallen short of projections.

"Price increases could be a contributing factor to the attendance decline, but that is not necessarily a negative for Disney so long as the hotels remain substantially full," Pacific Asset Management analyst Bob Boyd said in an email.

Here is a segment from a May 10 Orlando Sentinel article covering the decline:

Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger told analysts the company was focusing on raising revenue even at the expense of attendance increases.

"We like the steps we've taken in terms of pricing," he said. "We've taken a number of steps … to essentially grow revenue, in some cases actually at the expense of some attendance."

Iger said the company is "changing our pricing approach, sometimes in part to moderate attendance so the park experience is a little bit better, but all designed with the effect of essentially raising revenue."

In February, Disney put into effect variable pricing that spikes ticket costs at the busiest times of year. Last year Disney changed its annual-pass system in an attempt to shift demand and implemented big price increases.

Still, Disney from mid-March to April 1 lifted blackout dates on special Florida-resident three- and four-day tickets. Some analysts saw that as a sign Disney was trying to boost attendance that had fallen short of projections.

"Price increases could be a contributing factor to the attendance decline, but that is not necessarily a negative for Disney so long as the hotels remain substantially full," Pacific Asset Management analyst Bob Boyd said in an email.

It's about min/maxing profit. Finding the optimal price that allows for reduction in attendance that is supplanted by those raised prices and reduced staffing. Issues come when that increased spending does not correlate to the decrease in attendance. I think Disney believes they're infallible with that pricing, I think they're nieve.

Well, Disney told everyone to go have sex with themselves. And they seem stunned that there is blowback.

Who are these people that run the place?

It's about min/maxing profit. Finding the optimal price that allows for reduction in attendance that is supplanted by those raised prices and reduced staffing. Issues come when that increased spending does not correlate to the decrease in attendance. I think Disney believes they're infallible with that pricing, I think they're nieve.

Arrogant is the word I would have used.

The irony here is that WDW was preparing for more attendance. New Fantasyland was built specifically to increase MK capacity. Avatar expands the park and the night offerings expand capacity. Both were planned and started before Studios killed capacity. They even finished the unused area from Pop Century (half century) and built more DVC.

I don't doubt there is a point where too many people go to WDW, but they are nowhere near that point. They are still just maximizing profit while explaining it is a good thing. PT Barnum would be proud.

The irony here is that WDW was preparing for more attendance. New Fantasyland was built specifically to increase MK capacity. Avatar expands the park and the night offerings expand capacity. Both were planned and started before Studios killed capacity. They even finished the unused area from Pop Century (half century) and built more DVC.

I don't doubt there is a point where too many people go to WDW, but they are nowhere near that point. They are still just maximizing profit while explaining it is a good thing. PT Barnum would be proud.

Disney hasn't actually ADDED capacity to a theme park since Dinorama.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Disney hasn't actually ADDED capacity to a theme park since Dinorama.
Are you saying New Fantasyland did not increase park capacity? I thought I remembered quotes from Disney saying they built it not to compete with HP but rather to expand park capacity since so many more people went to that park than the other WDW parks.

Avatar is taking over Camp Minnie Mickey. With the relocation of Festival of the Lion King that also looks like an increase in capacity. The night offerings allow more people to ride and see attractions

Are you saying New Fantasyland did not increase park capacity? I thought I remembered quotes from Disney saying they built it not to compete with HP but rather to expand park capacity since so many more people went to that park than the other WDW parks.

Just sound like more spin. I haven't been to Disney since 2005 and considering how things have been going, I don't think I'll be going back until after Star Wars is done in circa 2022.

Just sound like more spin. I haven't been to Disney since 2005 and considering how things have been going, I don't think I'll be going back until after Star Wars is done in circa 2022.
I am still a big fan of MK. I go to Mickey's NSS Halloween Party every year. I consider that event a good value if you show up at 3:30-4pm.

Reactions: snayberry
I am quite sure that Everest increased capacity... I will agree with you that they haven't done much since until starting very recently. I just wish WDI wouldn't waste so much money doing it. Is there even a VP of WDI???
I think not a VP but a DV (Darth Vader).:D

Coincidentally, those are my initials.