Attendance Tracker | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When did you last stay at Disney?

I’m staying at Pop Century in September for a week (My first time staying at Disney) and already I’m struggling to get reservations for Be Our Guest and Brunch at the Top. A spot opened today for Be Our Guest and within 5mins it was gone. It's becoming almost essential to stay at Disney to guarantee a FP and reservation at your first, second or even third choice. When I'm 60 days out, I'll be straight on to get my FP.

I'm at some what of a crossroads of where to go from here in the next few years as Disney's own success is making it a nightmare to plan a good trip plus most of the resort is a construction zone but they're ready to deliver on so many great new rides that you can't not go.

On the flip side, I'm pretty set on staying at Hard Rock this year and the Express Pass makes things a million times easier compared to Disney but Universal need to take a drastic step with their app and website as it feels 5 years behind where Disney is currently at and as Universal expands, it really needs to step up it's game.
I don't even try the WDW advance dining reservations since I refuse to commit to a meal time months in advance of a vacation. So I only eat quick service on Disney property. BOG is impossible, except for breakfast, which is the only advance reservation I attempt. I used that as a way to get into the park before rope drop, before they started the early gate admission last year. Now there's no need for even that. I hate FP plus, even though I can use it to my advantage since I know the ins and outs, BUT, it's not very workable for NEW attractions. Bad system for new stuff. And for some of the new attractions you might not be able to get a FP until your 64th or 65th day out. I last stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort in Oct. 2015....Universal website and app. don't bother me much, since short of reserving a hotel, I have no need of it. Hotel Express passes basically make any planning moot. No need to plan anything at Universal if you're in a Deluxe resort. Even with meals you can get day of reservations just about anywhere on property. I change my agenda numerous times just about every day depending on the weather, when we feel like waking up, and how we feel in general. And now that all the Potter stuff has Express lines, we don't even bother to arrive early for early entry. Hotel Express is Theme Park Gold. I never even look at the website or app once I arrive at Universal.

I used to not see the value of the earlier FP booking window for staying on-site as there were no real hard-to-get attractions. Mine Train, Frozen, Flight of Passage, and the TSL attractions will have changed that so if any of those are a priority, those resort stays will be worth their weight in gold.

Now as for the dining reservations, you can always check within 24 hours as people cancel all the time. I also understand there's some services you can sign up for where you're alerted if a dining res opens up. I've never used it as there's nowhere I'm absolutely dying to eat on Disney property. But I DID try the Brunch at the Top and it was FANTASTIC. Worth every penny.

The first couple years I went to WDW I did a few advance dining reservations. But the fact I had to plan my day around a meal, and even more so the fact that the meals were very ordinary and overpriced, switched me over to Quick Service. There's a few of those that are pretty decent.

Reactions: SkiBum and Scott W.
I don't even try the WDW advance dining reservations since I refuse to commit to a meal time months in advance of a vacation. So I only eat quick service on Disney property. BOG is impossible, except for breakfast, which is the only advance reservation I attempt. I used that as a way to get into the park before rope drop, before they started the early gate admission last year. Now there's no need for even that. I hate FP plus, even though I can use it to my advantage since I know the ins and outs, BUT, it's not very workable for NEW attractions. Bad system for new stuff. And for some of the new attractions you might not be able to get a FP until your 64th or 65th day out. I last stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort in Oct. 2015....Universal website and app. don't bother me much, since short of reserving a hotel, I have no need of it. Hotel Express passes basically make any planning moot. No need to plan anything at Universal if you're in a Deluxe resort. Even with meals you can get day of reservations just about anywhere on property. I change my agenda numerous times just about every day depending on the weather, when we feel like waking up, and how we feel in general. And now that all the Potter stuff has Express lines, we don't even bother to arrive early for early entry. Hotel Express is Theme Park Gold. I never even look at the website or app once I arrive at Universal.

I'm only noticing the difference because I've spent so long on the Disney website. I've just seen that club level is only an extra £300 for my stay and a 2 hour free bar every day over 8 days, I could easily get my money back :beer:

I used to not see the value of the earlier FP booking window for staying on-site as there were no real hard-to-get attractions. Mine Train, Frozen, Flight of Passage, and the TSL attractions will have changed that so if any of those are a priority, those resort stays will be worth their weight in gold.

Now as for the dining reservations, you can always check within 24 hours as people cancel all the time. I also understand there's some services you can sign up for where you're alerted if a dining res opens up. I've never used it as there's nowhere I'm absolutely dying to eat on Disney property. But I DID try the Brunch at the Top and it was FANTASTIC. Worth every penny.

I'm using the Touring Plans reservation finder and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. I'm about 99% sure I'll be able to get into Be Our Guest but I've already been and I can take it or leave it at this point and opt for breakfast at Kona Cafe and have an earlier dinner at Skipper Canteen. Brunch at the Top, I'm desperate to try though and I'll be disappointed if I can't get a reservation for it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to book it as California Grill only seems to allow for dinner reservations and brunch isn't an option for every Sunday I've tried for the next 6 months.

How did you book it?

Edit: NVM, it's been fixed.

Last edited:
It is likely essential to stay on Disney property in order to get the fast passes to do what you want. At the same time Disney is discounting hotel rooms through August to less than fall rates. Might just be some people it is not worth it and decided not to go after all for now.

It is also been speculated that at a certain price point Disney might just price themselves out of customers. Ticket prices alone have not done this. Ticket prices along with having to buy a full vacation package in order to go on the rides you want without a three-hour wait might just do it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think part is that There’s nothing really drawing anyone to WDW before that date so why not. And as Skip said, Summer is no longer the only time a lot of people are coming to the parks. Everything is spread out a lot more now.

That said, I have a Disney AP and have only been about four or five times this year, if that. Most of that was during a stay at AoA, too.

Reactions: SkiBum
Could be! But I feel like both Dis and Uni have been lifting blackout dates a lot during the summer months the past few years, whether for CM/TMs or APs.

Interesting. I really have not paid attention to Disney in a long time, but I recall they started their surge pricing. I imagine they’ve done what they wanted which seems to be charging folks more for the summer simply because it is the summer thus causing folks to think it is cheaper when it is slower, so they plan a none summer time to visit.

For UoR, I am finding it difficult to find a decent time to go as I am spoiled from going when I can pay the lower end of rack rates.

Also, for my last bunch of UoR trips, I’ve really noticed a large uptick in non US families staying on site.

Regardless of the reasons, I am thankful that we are FL residents. I sort of regrade renewing my UNI AP this year as the family is itching to see Disney again....we would of just planned a WDW trip in advance w/ the FL res deals. We will go to HHN for certain, but the AP breaks aren’t that far off from the FL res ones....I just know if any of the FL parks get slow, they will offer Floridians something...if not for FP plus, we could plan a trip on a whim (200 miles away from Orlando)

I couldn't agree more with this. I prefer to just kind of go along with things as a vacation unfolds. We have been to both UNI/IOA and WDW enough times that we aren't the kind who show up at rope drop and stay until they kick us out. However, I hate that FP+ basically binds me to be at a certain park at a certain time. Sometimes, we wake up and the wife doesn't want to go to AK or DHS. However, if I had FP+, I would feel obligated because I know that "day of" fastpasses aren't the greatest for selections. Same with dining. I don't like committing to a specific place/time because I don't know how that will fit my day.

I honestly just wish that they would dump fastpasses. I get the reasoning and all but it is a pain. I also hate being in a line that stops moving for a while as the FP+ groups move through.

I think that WDW might be doing too little too late. Yes, Star Wars is going to be a huge bump for DHS but I'm not certain that they won't just see some cannibalizing from other parks. The costs are exorbitant. We do things fairly cheap (although we do stay onsite at a moderates and fly down) and our vacations still run between $2-3,000. That is a huge commitment of money. With millennials, I wonder if Disney will have to market things differently. They could count on Gen-X and Baby Boomers being caught with nostalgia. Now? I'm not so sure. I could see a general attendance decline as millennials prefer different types of vacations. Or they prefer some of the IP's like Harry Potter. If WDW can't bring Marvel in, they might lose some more market share.

I couldn't agree more with this. I prefer to just kind of go along with things as a vacation unfolds. We have been to both UNI/IOA and WDW enough times that we aren't the kind who show up at rope drop and stay until they kick us out. However, I hate that FP+ basically binds me to be at a certain park at a certain time. Sometimes, we wake up and the wife doesn't want to go to AK or DHS. However, if I had FP+, I would feel obligated because I know that "day of" fastpasses aren't the greatest for selections. Same with dining. I don't like committing to a specific place/time because I don't know how that will fit my day.

I honestly just wish that they would dump fastpasses. I get the reasoning and all but it is a pain. I also hate being in a line that stops moving for a while as the FP+ groups move through.

I think that WDW might be doing too little too late. Yes, Star Wars is going to be a huge bump for DHS but I'm not certain that they won't just see some cannibalizing from other parks. The costs are exorbitant. We do things fairly cheap (although we do stay onsite at a moderates and fly down) and our vacations still run between $2-3,000. That is a huge commitment of money. With millennials, I wonder if Disney will have to market things differently. They could count on Gen-X and Baby Boomers being caught with nostalgia. Now? I'm not so sure. I could see a general attendance decline as millennials prefer different types of vacations. Or they prefer some of the IP's like Harry Potter. If WDW can't bring Marvel in, they might lose some more market share.
There are a number of trends at WDW designed to tie down guests to its property, hotels and schedule. These same trends are building resistance and resentment. So far the plan is doing better than the backlash. I don't think that will continue much longer, if for jobs other reason than the resort rates keep going up much faster than inflation.

UO is positioning themselves nicely to be the logical alternative. They are building better resorts with lower rates. Capacity is expanding. Guests aren't trapped into a rigid schedule.

When the new park opens it will be fascinating to watch how all this plays out. It will get plenty of press watching how the battle with the mouse goes. WDW is Disney's biggest cash cow. Analysts will have a field day.

I think part is that There’s nothing really drawing anyone to WDW before that date so why not.

I don't remember that ever mattering before. Kids were out of school. Disney is there. People show up. If that was the case, there would have been a LOT of blackout dates lifted over the past decade where there was nothing new. :lol:

(Disclaimer: I'm a millennial, as are my friends)

Whenever I see Orlando vacation pics of my friends on Facebook, 9/10 times it's Universal. Why? Potter.

That's literally the entire reason. None of my friends really want to go to "Universal Studios" or "Islands of Adventure." It's rare that I see the actual name of the resort dropped in a vacation album (even though there's plenty of pictures of non-Potter parts of the resort). Harry Potter is still the defining IP of my generation and Universal built an amazing land off of it. I saw some Volcano Bay pictures recently, but Potter still seems to be the major driving force.

I don't know where my friends were staying. I think that's part of a bigger trend of vacationing. People don't care about their hotels anymore. Hotels are a means to an end. People, including myself, would stay in a random person's spare bedroom if it meant a cheaper trip.

Universal seems to be bucking the trend a little bit. Yes, they're building nice hotels. But, I don't think people care how nice their hotel are. What's important is that Universal is building cheap hotels.

I think we'll be seeing Disney build more Art of Animation style hotels in the future. Nicer than an AirBnB, but also inexpensive.

I think we'll be seeing Disney build more Art of Animation style hotels in the future. Nicer than an AirBnB, but also inexpensive.

artworks-000266307971-7ttt4x-large.jpg

Whenever I see Orlando vacation pics of my friends on Facebook, 9/10 times it's Universal. Why? Potter.

That's literally the entire reason. None of my friends really want to go to "Universal Studios" or "Islands of Adventure." It's rare that I see the actual name of the resort dropped in a vacation album (even though there's plenty of pictures of non-Potter parts of the resort). Harry Potter is still the defining IP of my generation and Universal built an amazing land off of it. I saw some Volcano Bay pictures recently, but Potter still seems to be the major driving force.

I'd say Potter made more people check Universal out then they would have years ago...It's the stuff they don't expect that makes them come back

And I see a ton of VB and Cabanna Bay pics...Plus Toothsome and Minions

HP is just too iconic, much like Cinderella Castle

I don't know where my friends were staying. I think that's part of a bigger trend of vacationing. People don't care about their hotels anymore. Hotels are a means to an end. People, including myself, would stay in a random person's spare bedroom if it meant a cheaper trip.

Universal seems to be bucking the trend a little bit. Yes, they're building nice hotels. But, I don't think people care how nice their hotel are. What's important is that Universal is building cheap hotels.

Each resort has its draw. For UO it is Potter. For WDW it is Magic Kingdom. Imagine how much lower attendance would be at the other WDW parks without MK.

I know the feeling about paying for lodging. I can appreciate the quality and environment of staying at an on-site hotel. I just don't feel it is worth the money when most of what I will do there is sleep. Most of my trips are only 2-3 days and I drive 7 hours to get there. The only times I stay on site is when someone is splitting the cost with me.

Each resort has its draw. For UO it is Potter. For WDW it is Magic Kingdom. Imagine how much lower attendance would be at the other WDW parks without MK.

I know the feeling about paying for lodging. I can appreciate the quality and environment of staying at an on-site hotel. I just don't feel it is worth the money when most of what I will do there is sleep. Most of my trips are only 2-3 days and I drive 7 hours to get there. The only times I stay on site is when someone is splitting the cost with me.

For us, it is a 13-15 hour drive, depending on traffic. That, combined with the wife's back issues, mean that we fly down. We like staying onsite mainly because of the Magical Express and internal transportation. We don't really need or want a car. To further your point, there are trips where we only go to the Magic Kingdom. Our stays are usually 3-4 days and one of those days is spent just relaxing. I just wonder how the parks will do in the future if they don't change their operating model. When tickets are pushing $150/day for single day admission, people want to ride more than five rides.

We went to UO in February, yes, a slower time, for one day and we were on ride after ride. The next day, we went to MK and maybe had half the number of rides. I will always go to WDW but UNI/IOA is really making me want to spend more time at their parks. Heck, I could sit outside the IOA entrance and just enjoy the music and look of Port of Entry all by itself.

For us, it is a 13-15 hour drive, depending on traffic. That, combined with the wife's back issues, mean that we fly down. We like staying onsite mainly because of the Magical Express and internal transportation. We don't really need or want a car. To further your point, there are trips where we only go to the Magic Kingdom. Our stays are usually 3-4 days and one of those days is spent just relaxing. I just wonder how the parks will do in the future if they don't change their operating model. When tickets are pushing $150/day for single day admission, people want to ride more than five rides.

We went to UO in February, yes, a slower time, for one day and we were on ride after ride. The next day, we went to MK and maybe had half the number of rides. I will always go to WDW but UNI/IOA is really making me want to spend more time at their parks. Heck, I could sit outside the IOA entrance and just enjoy the music and look of Port of Entry all by itself.
I believe UO is the better value than WDW right now. You get to ride/see more attractions per day. Many of the WDW attractions are either old as dirt or just underwhelming.

UO has its weak attractions but is rapidly replacing them. They are also adding new capacity in rides like Kong and the new JP coaster.

I like WDW. It's just that MK seems like the only park there worth the money at the moment. EPCOT still hasn't built a totally new attraction since 2005. DHS is at best half a park. The 2 good new attractions at AK have ridiculous waits and the boat ride is pretty but not very entertaining.

The new attractions coming are welcomed but very long overdue. This is just making up for over a decade of neglect. Its not worth waiting hours for each new attraction if you didn't get FPs 64 days in advance. This is not my idea of a magical vacation.