Avatar in Disneyland | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
FOP, by far, is the most significant part of Pandora. Looking at budget, and available space, it makes good business sense to just built FOP and do a small, not very costly, land facade around it.
I wonder if there's a contractual issue that has prevented this from happening. By all accounts, much like TRON, it gets incredibly high GSATs and while I know some of you don't like it (*cough* @JungleSkip @Joe *cough*), the vast majority of guests do so i'm surprised it hasn't been cloned yet. I do wonder, especially since the contract was drawn up all the way back in 2011, before Disney even bought Star Wars, let alone Fox, if the contract states that any future expansion has to be a land.

And to answer questions about the contract since Disney owns Fox now, no, Disney doesn't own that contract. Yes, Disney now owns the 20th Century licensing of it, but 20th Century simply gives James cameron money to make these films and then they distribute them. 20th Century Studios does not own Avatar. James Cameron owns it. 20th Century only owns theatrical distribution rights. Technically, they still have to partner with and pay James Cameron's production company Lightstorm to put the films on Disney+, those are not automatic (although i'm sure a deal is in place). Theoretically, Cameron could take streaming rights and bring Avatar to any streaming service he wants, but that's not good for him in terms of his business relationship. He still needs 20th Century to give him buckets full of money for Avatar 4 and 5.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I see some mentioning that they think it'll be 2024; and I really can't see it being that long of a gap.

Thinking Holiday 2023, tying into the 1 year anniversary of The Way of Water; and that this thing is gonna be primarily having merchandising as a core factor.

I see some mentioning that they think it'll be 2024; and I really can't see it being that long of a gap.

Thinking Holiday 2023, tying into the 1 year anniversary of The Way of Water; and that this thing is gonna be primarily having merchandising as a core factor.
That’d make sense, but this is Disney we’re talking about so I feel like it won’t come that quickly

Idk about merchandising being a. driving factor. I really enjoy FOP and love Satuli Canteen but merchandising is not Avatar's strong suit and never has been. Much of it winds up at the outlet store. I've only ever bought one of the Ikran way back. It just sits on my desk and looks pretty now. They know from internal data that Avatar is not a big merch over, too so they wouldn't do this just for merch.

I know it's been mentioned here but it's worth noting that if this indeed becomes a full land it likely won't happen without expansion outside the two parks' current footprint. And that can't happen without approval of some version of the DisneylandForward proposal. Something to keep in mind as the city of Anaheim is currently embroiled in a bit of scandal related to [alleged] backroom dealings with the Angels over land-use agreements. it's fair to assume disney gets its way here, but ... it hasn't happened yet!

FOP will be 10 years old by the time this would open at DLR. At this point, they should go with something else.
Way of Water has so many cool submersibles that would be ideal for simulators to explore the oceans and reefs of Pandora. Hell, they could even use the Smuggler's Run/Mission: Space ride system. I don't want Flight of Passage. I want them to explore these different biomes the films are introducing. A submarine simulator would also make for an ideal spiritual successor to Nemo if they wanna expand that into that region of TL.

Reactions: SkiBum and UNIrd
Way of Water has so many cool submersibles that would be ideal for simulators to explore the oceans and reefs of Pandora. Hell, they could even use the Smuggler's Run/Mission: Space ride system. I don't want Flight of Passage. I want them to explore these different biomes the films are introducing. A submarine simulator would also make for an ideal spiritual successor to Nemo if they wanna expand that into that region of TL.
Avatar 3 is going to focus on a group of "Fire Navi", probably with a cool looking volcanic type setting so there's also that to play with.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
Guests love the FOP attraction/simulator. No reason to move toa different system for Disneyland. Plus, developmental costs are already paid for, so it's budget friendly.

I know it's been mentioned here but it's worth noting that if this indeed becomes a full land it likely won't happen without expansion outside the two parks' current footprint. And that can't happen without approval of some version of the DisneylandForward proposal. Something to keep in mind as the city of Anaheim is currently embroiled in a bit of scandal related to [alleged] backroom dealings with the Angels over land-use agreements. it's fair to assume disney gets its way here, but ... it hasn't happened yet!

While I tend to agree...
Unless they remove the subs/autopia and create a new land at the back of Tomorrowland.
It would involve rerouting the monorail but thats a sizable chunk of space for a land right there and we now know that Disney isn't against ditching Autopia for park expansion - just look at Tokyo.

Eh, just drop the Tiana Mt plans and do a Na’vi River Journey overlay for Splash. An alien landscape peeking over the Haunted Mansion would look great.

As the rumors keep swirling, MiceChat now has come in to give their own. Large grains of salt as necessary: Avatar is potentially going to be located as they have heard--within DCA. They also seem to indicate action taking place within Hollywoodland.

As long as it’s something more substantial than just FoP, I say why not. I hope we get at least one more unique ride like a roller coaster or something. I don’t want to wait so many years just for a copy + paste of what Florida has had for years.

As the rumors keep swirling, MiceChat now has come in to give their own. Large grains of salt as necessary: Avatar is potentially going to be located as they have heard--within DCA. They also seem to indicate action taking place within Hollywoodland.

I though Avatar was more likely bound for DL park. But as long as Hollywoodland gets put out of it's misery, I'm a happy camper. DCA needs the next round of new investments to DLR and should be the the park they focus on first for DL Forward.

I don't understand why DCA would need to test Avatar.....it did well in Florida but here it would...not do well?

Build the land, No idea why you'd waste time doing some small thing when the last film made insane money and the land is loved and the lines for the rides are insane....wqhy would they if they added flight of the passage here it wouldn't get a 3 hour wait daily?

Pandora is roughly 7.5 acres not counting the bridges into the land. Current Hollywoodland is 10 acres; if they wanted to keep the Hyperion and Animation Academy building (and Disney Jr), that would be 5.75 acres to work with. Cloning the FOP/Na'vi River Journey building would take less than 5 acres with more condensed/straightforward walkways. This seems like a feasible plan, but if they aren't considering rides who knows what will happen.