Best Executed Theme Park Rides | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Best Executed Theme Park Rides

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Kong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mummy.

Just sayin'.

The main thing Mummy really has going for it is its coaster thrills and parts of its queue line. Kongfrontation was just brilliance from beginning to end.

Kong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mummy.

Just sayin'.

The main thing Mummy really has going for it is its coaster thrills and parts of its queue line. Kongfrontation was just brilliance from beginning to end.

I don't think anyone would claim Mummy is better than Kong. But Mummy is a blast itself. It is one of the best rides at the park and I love getting on it without any serious time in line. It's "plot" execution on ride isn't amazing but it is more of a thrill ride than anything. It works great for what it is.

Don't the queue videos say the plot, or is it a weak plot in general?

The plot is that the set of the new Mummy movie is cursed...but besides the first room in the main building, the set theme is dropped. They essentially just drop you in the middle of a cursed tomb so it loses points for me in execution. Then the fake ending makes it clear youre on a roller coaster so what are they going for there? Then Brendan Frasier shows up...I dont know theres a couple things on that ride that couldve been thought out a bit better, but the individual parts of the ride are great.

Apart from just giving the whole damn prize to TDS (the whole thing is amazingly executed...), I'll go with...

Mystic manor!

Henry Mystic has opened up his property to show off his personal collection. It's well established why you are there, the history and the story of the attraction is well built upon in the queue. I really like the references to S.E.A., it gives it this out of this world backstory and subtle nods to TDS if you have been on TOT there (another perfectly executed ride). The entire ride takes place within his mansion, it seems appropriately proportioned and something that would exist. The ride references his breakthrough at the World Fair with the invention of his ride carriages for showing off the museum.

Excellent pre-show further builds on the ride and the character, I also like that the ride starts and ends "in the same room" (even though it's a duplicate). You have a sense of having journeyed but you are back where you began, which a lot of rides fail to do. If you travel from A to B, how do you exit the ride where you entered?

The entire land builds into the lore of the ride, from the train whisking by with deliveries for the museum, his restaurant with different cuisines of the world and dining rooms set to encompass them. Also the merchandise, which also contains merchandise from other Disney parks world-wide that Henry has procured to sell to you.

Apart from just giving the whole damn prize to TDS (the whole thing is amazingly executed...), I'll go with...

Mystic manor!

Henry Mystic has opened up his property to show off his personal collection. It's well established why you are there, the history and the story of the attraction is well built upon in the queue. I really like the references to S.E.A., it gives it this out of this world backstory and subtle nods to TDS if you have been on TOT there (another perfectly executed ride). The entire ride takes place within his mansion, it seems appropriately proportioned and something that would exist. The ride references his breakthrough at the World Fair with the invention of his ride carriages for showing off the museum.

Excellent pre-show further builds on the ride and the character, I also like that the ride starts and ends "in the same room" (even though it's a duplicate). You have a sense of having journeyed but you are back where you began, which a lot of rides fail to do. If you travel from A to B, how do you exit the ride where you entered?

The entire land builds into the lore of the ride, from the train whisking by with deliveries for the museum, his restaurant with different cuisines of the world and dining rooms set to encompass them. Also the merchandise, which also contains merchandise from other Disney parks world-wide that Henry has procured to sell to you.

Such a great example! I haven't been on the ride myself but from the videos I've seen, I'd have to agree with you. And your post furthers it. Thanks for the write-up!

To throw out some that might not be mentioned as much (probably because they're personal favorites and not exactly "best"):

Terminator 2. Just the whole feel of going into Cyberdyne, some of videos even if the pre-show is a bit outdated still seems to fit 90s perfectly. Even has some smaller touches like the Miles Dyson Auditorium and once you enter the auditorium you have the early model Terminators, and the live action/film mix is awesome. James Cameron being involved was a big bonus.

Back to the Future. Loved it as a kid and the whole Institute of Future Technology seemed like it could be a logical next step for Doc Brown. Set it up and be involved with that to give some purpose to time traveling, and even having a remote control DeLorean (but having it be 8-person and a convertible is a bit of a stretch I admit.) Still everything just had the Back to the Future feel to it, and then the ride itself with the dates, flux capacitor, etc.. on the ride and hearing the BttF theme the whole time it just felt like a very well executed ride. Again, this may just be nostalgia since I haven't been on the ride since I was like 9 years old but I still love it/miss it.

To throw out some that might not be mentioned as much (probably because they're personal favorites and not exactly "best"):

Terminator 2. Just the whole feel of going into Cyberdyne, some of videos even if the pre-show is a bit outdated still seems to fit 90s perfectly. Even has some smaller touches like the Miles Dyson Auditorium and once you enter the auditorium you have the early model Terminators, and the live action/film mix is awesome. James Cameron being involved was a big bonus.

Back to the Future. Loved it as a kid and the whole Institute of Future Technology seemed like it could be a logical next step for Doc Brown. Set it up and be involved with that to give some purpose to time traveling, and even having a remote control DeLorean (but having it be 8-person and a convertible is a bit of a stretch I admit.) Still everything just had the Back to the Future feel to it, and then the ride itself with the dates, flux capacitor, etc.. on the ride and hearing the BttF theme the whole time it just felt like a very well executed ride. Again, this may just be nostalgia since I haven't been on the ride since I was like 9 years old but I still love it/miss it.

I LOVE T2, and its set-up...the queue building, cheesy promo videos, the pre-show (which I don't think is dated, but actually very, very well-done, especially for a theme park attraction), and of course, the fact that they went so far as to ADD to the mythology of the Terminator series and develop an early Terminator model!! That is just so cool and really is a testament to the work that went into making this attraction a great one.

The only reason I don't really consider it 'perfect' is because they intersperse film clips from T2 into Sarah/John Connor's segment during the pre-show. The fact that they hack in is cool but where did they get a tape of their lives caught on camera? It completely takes away from any 'reality' they were trying to establish. They even have footage of the post-Judgment Day battles which is totally asking too much suspension of disbelief in my opinion. I know it's necessary and the connection with the film is more important than complete immersion, and I'm glad it's there. But it's the only thing that keeps T2's execution from being perfect.

As far as BttF, I liked the Institute, but Biff breaking in and locking Doc Brown in his office seemed far-fetch. The fact that he could take a car and know perfectly how to maneuver it is far-fetched. And even worse is the fact that Doc Brown conveniently has six-passenger DeLoreans just ready to go via remote control. The ride was insanely fun but the suspension of belief was just insane. Though that ride was a blast and definitely a favorite of mine...

I LOVE T2, and its set-up...the queue building, cheesy promo videos, the pre-show (which I don't think is dated, but actually very, very well-done, especially for a theme park attraction), and of course, the fact that they went so far as to ADD to the mythology of the Terminator series and develop an early Terminator model!! That is just so cool and really is a testament to the work that went into making this attraction a great one.

The only reason I don't really consider it 'perfect' is because they intersperse film clips from T2 into Sarah/John Connor's segment during the pre-show. The fact that they hack in is cool but where did they get a tape of their lives caught on camera? It completely takes away from any 'reality' they were trying to establish. They even have footage of the post-Judgment Day battles which is totally asking too much suspension of disbelief in my opinion. I know it's necessary and the connection with the film is more important than complete immersion, and I'm glad it's there. But it's the only thing that keeps T2's execution from being perfect.

As far as BttF, I liked the Institute, but Biff breaking in and locking Doc Brown in his office seemed far-fetch. The fact that he could take a car and know perfectly how to maneuver it is far-fetched. And even worse is the fact that Doc Brown conveniently has six-passenger DeLoreans just ready to go via remote control. The ride was insanely fun but the suspension of belief was just insane. Though that ride was a blast and definitely a favorite of mine...

Biff did steal the DeLorean in Back to the Future II so he's taken it before and figured out how to use it. And the pre-show did have Doc say he made a new 8-passanger DeLorean that was a convertible. It's a stretch but at least they acknowledged it. But then again it's Back to the Future where TIME TRAVEL is involved so you're already taking a suspension of disbelief with that but you are doing something similar with every ride. It still captured the feeling of Back to the Future immensely and it was a blast.

Biff did steal the DeLorean in Back to the Future II so he's taken it before and figured out how to use it. And the pre-show did have Doc say he made a new 8-passanger DeLorean that was a convertible. It's a stretch but at least they acknowledged it. But then again it's Back to the Future where TIME TRAVEL is involved so you're already taking a suspension of disbelief with that but you are doing something similar with every ride. It still captured the feeling of Back to the Future immensely and it was a blast.

Eight*-passenger :doh: my bad hahaha.

But yeah it's not so much that Biff steals it, it's that he flies it like an expert pilot. Also, since they erased the timeline established in BttF Part II where Biff stole the time machine, it IS a stretch that Biff would not only take it, but have any motivation to. If Doc and Marty really had been successful in Part II, Biff would have no knowledge of Doc or the DeLorean or anything.

I mean, I know I'm being super picky but it's fun to be nerdy sometimes :p BttF was my favorite ride at Universal while it was there and it was a great attraction--just super easy to pick apart if you're a geek like me.

Reactions: docbrown1985
Eight*-passenger :doh: my bad hahaha.

But yeah it's not so much that Biff steals it, it's that he flies it like an expert pilot. Also, since they erased the timeline established in BttF Part II where Biff stole the time machine, it IS a stretch that Biff would not only take it, but have any motivation to. If Doc and Marty really had been successful in Part II, Biff would have no knowledge of Doc or the DeLorean or anything.

I mean, I know I'm being super picky but it's fun to be nerdy sometimes :p BttF was my favorite ride at Universal while it was there and it was a great attraction--just super easy to pick apart if you're a geek like me.

Yeah super easy to pick apart but you could do that with many things. It's still nice to just enjoy things for what they are haha. I mean if you really want best executed you would have to go with JP since that's already a theme park in the movie so it's not nearly as much of a stretch other than the dinosaurs kinda ruining everything after Nedry's little stunt :p

Tower of Terror definitely fits the bill. I haven't been on it but I think California and Tokyo edge out DHS slightly. In California they fix some of the aesthetic issues and Tokyo has a more unique story line. I think everyone else has pretty much nailed it otherwise though. I'll throw in some Curse of DarKastle just because it has a REALLY awesome queue.

Tower of Terror definitely fits the bill. I haven't been on it but I think California and Tokyo edge out DHS slightly. In California they fix some of the aesthetic issues and Tokyo has a more unique story line.

Agree on TDS, but the DCA ToT is really lacking (except for some cool TZ nods in the queue) due to the abridged entry and lack of horizontal movement in the 5th dimension.

Agree on TDS, but the DCA ToT is really lacking (except for some cool TZ nods in the queue) due to the abridged entry and lack of horizontal movement in the 5th dimension.

Definitely! 5th dimension adds so much the experience. DCA is a bit nicer on the surface, but missing something.

I'll add to that that you have to walk through a hallway...the hallway you exit from...to get to the elevator. Not only does that kill the theme of an elevator, but since it's the hallway that people leave from, it completely gives away that you're on a ride, and a poorly-planned one at that.