Best & Worst Themed Lands | Inside Universal Forums

Best & Worst Themed Lands

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 6, 2014
Rushmore Academy
I was listening to some of the old podcasts again and someone (say your name if it was you I forgot) asked the question what are your favorite and least favorite themed lands at any park? For me it's insanely easy

Best- Asia at AK, just a real immersive and gorgeous land with Everest in the background and all the nice little touches. Fun to take pictures in as well

Worst- Dinoland USA at AK, what happened here? It's only cool when you know the backstory and it is a cool backstory. But the theming comes off as lame, cheesy and unfitting. A blemish to a beautiful park

Honorable mentions
Sweet haven- reminds me of my childhood on the beach, really nice and immersive
Seuss landing- just like the source material
Potter- pitch perfect
Adventure land- love my tropical stuff and this is no question
Norway- my favorite pavilion, simply gorgeous

DISCUSS

Last edited:
suess is just so perfect. the detail and commitment. just wow.

what is the backstory for dinoland?

Honestly the worst would have to be Tommorowland at Magic Kingdom. Possibly the most boring and original design anyone could have come up with.

Best I would have to say is (I haven't been yet but the pictures are gorgeous) between New Fantasyland or Hogsmeade.

Honorable Mention goes to Jurassic Park for its aesthetics and memories.

Honestly the worst would have to be Tommorowland at Magic Kingdom. Possibly the most boring and original design anyone could have come up with.

Best I would have to say is (I haven't been yet but the pictures are gorgeous) between New Fantasyland or Hogsmeade.

Jurassic park was before potter.

I have to agree with you tomorrow land is downright ugly at points, especially in the speedway/starlight cafe area with the teal and purple. BLAH!!!! The opening gates do look fantastic though with that classic sign and rock work. If only they didn't fantasyland the entire area (long live XS technology)

My favorites would be Harry Potter Hogsmeade (though Diagon Alley is looking marvelous from the outside) and New Fantasyland (especially the Beauty and the Beast section). Being a huge fan of the properties I mentioned (Potter and B&TB), I get very nerdy when I walk into these sections.

Least favorite, Dinoland USA. Very very very tacky section.

Honorable mentions: Jurassic Park, Marvel (on the latter, not the best theming, but like the other two favorites, I'm a Marvel nerd! :p)

Last edited:
Universal -
Worst :: Production Central
Best :: Hogsmede
Honorables :: JP (Pre-Potter), Marvel, New York, Hollywood, LC (Pre-Potter)

WDW -
Worst :: Future World
Best :: World Showcase
Honorables :: Any Land in MK

Amazing:
Potter (Both lands actually)
Lost Continent (Pre- Potter)
Seuss Landing
new york
San Fran

Worst:
Kidzone
Production Central
MIB - Fear Factor area

Bad:

Marvel (Post Disney purchase) haha.. while still beautiful, my imagination runs wild imagining what the land would look like today after the success of the films and the success of potter

Marvel (Post Disney purchase) haha.. while still beautiful, my imagination runs wild imagining what the land would look like today after the success of the films and the success of potter
It would probably be a ton of gray cities with explosions. I personally love marvel island now, brings me back to the days when superheroes could be goofy and ridiculous unlike now where everybody is depressed and it's about as bland as a plain rice cake. But hey, whatever floats your boat

Last edited:
Cool thread.

Best themed lands:

Lost Continent(pre-Potter)
Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Frontierland

Worst themed lands:

Dinoland U.S.A.
Production Central
KidsZone

On a side note, as much hate as it gets, Tomorrowland is still my favorite land of any park. Loved it since a kid, and still do. I agree it could use an update. And while they're at it, rip out Buzz, Monsters Inc., and Stitch; they don't belong in Tomorrowland! Move Buzz and Monsters Inc. to Pixar Place. And replace Stitch with an updated Alien Encounter.

Cool thread.

Best themed lands:

Lost Continent(pre-Potter)
Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Frontierland

Worst themed lands:

Dinoland U.S.A.
Production Central
KidsZone

On a side note, as much hate as it gets, Tomorrowland is still my favorite land of any park. Loved it since a kid, and still do. I agree it could use an update. And while they're at it, rip out Buzz, Monsters Inc., and Stitch; they don't belong in Tomorrowland! Move Buzz and Monsters Inc. to Pixar Place. And replace Stitch with an updated Alien Encounter.

Agreed 100% tomorrow land was always that super awesome original land with no properties. Just cool ideas like the time keeper and alien encounter (god I loved alien encounter so much) with all that gone it's just a insanely bland land of rides you almost always skip. I know MK is seriously the last park that needs to be updated ever but man do I want a full redesign of that land