Blackfish (The Tillikum Documentary) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Blackfish (The Tillikum Documentary)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As long as the animals are not getting beaten, starved, have adequate room, and good enclosures, I'm whatever about it. I would rather them be free but then I can't enjoy them when I'm in Orlando. Well, that make me selfish. Guess what, the human race for the most part is. "We want more, we want more, like really we really like it, we want more." This world is one in which people use each other to get what they want. If you have an iphone, the people that make them are in poor working and living conditions. Is it right.....no.---Going off topic.

Last edited:
Tilikum, among other whales, was captured from the wild.

But he was NOT captured by Sea World as the film heavily suggests - he was received in a trade from a rather poor quality aquarium that was closing. And Sea World was right to take him, as he would likely have died if he'd been released into the ocean again. All the whales that Sea World has recieved in the past 40 years have been captive-bred or rescued.

But he was NOT captured by Sea World as the film heavily suggests - he was received in a trade from a rather poor quality aquarium that was closing. And Sea World was right to take him, as he would likely have died if he'd been released into the ocean again. All the whales that Sea World has recieved in the past 40 years have been captive-bred or rescued.

The film spends quite a while explaining Tilikum's situation at Sealand, not sure how you misconstrue that as suggesting SeaWorld captured Tili. Also, SeaWorld HAS paid fisherman to capture whales. Their press statements claiming 'SeaWorld does not capture whales' may be accurate back to a certain point in time, but they have indeed captures wild whales, some of which still reside in their parks.

SeaWorld has not captured a whale in more than 35 years, and even when they did back then, it was legally with proper permits. Also, SeaWorld today is VERY different than it was 35 years ago. There have been 3 changes of ownership since then and leaps and bounds improvements in the facilities. It would be like blaming you for something your grandfather did to say that the SeaWorld parks that exist today are to blame for what happened in the 1970's.

Just heard some more about this on the radio. OSHA has now opened an investigation on Lara Padgett.

There were some other allegations that she may have been partially responsible for bringing in some of the trainers that appeared in Blackfish, but after a quick search on the web I couldn't find anything to validate.

The film spends quite a while explaining Tilikum's situation at Sealand, not sure how you misconstrue that as suggesting SeaWorld captured Tili. Also, SeaWorld HAS paid fisherman to capture whales. Their press statements claiming 'SeaWorld does not capture whales' may be accurate back to a certain point in time, but they have indeed captures wild whales, some of which still reside in their parks.

You are correct, but the film didn't really do a service to making that point very clear. I've seen a lot of comments from articles, Facebook, Twitter, etc where the general public think SeaWorld captured the whales featured in the film.

I would rather them be free but then I can't enjoy them when I'm in Orlando. Well, that make me selfish. Guess what, the human race for the most part is. "We want more, we want more, like really we really like it, we want more." This world is one in which people use each other to get what they want. If you have an iphone, the people that make them are in poor working and living conditions. Is it right.....no.---Going off topic.

This really encapsulates the mentality of captivity supporters and in a way, the plight of the human race. Thank you for admitting the captive whale program is a selfish enterprise of consumerism (from the guest) and capitalism (by SeaWorld).

This really encapsulates the mentality of captivity supporters and in a way, the plight of the human race. Thank you for admitting the captive whale program is a selfish enterprise of consumerism (from the guest) and capitalism (by SeaWorld).

Then all captivity is for the same reasons if an animal is on display in any way, shape, or form. There's the catch. You can't just use this for orcas.

Then all captivity is for the same reasons if an animal is on display in any way, shape, or form. There's the catch. You can't just use this for orcas.

Exactly. The lions over at animal kingdom want to be free also. So do the caged birds in my neighbors backyard. And @ neoshinok, it is selfish but what about the chickens and cows you eat? Aren't you being selfish? Now, if you say that chickens and cows are for food, you have a good point. But Shamu is for entertainment and knowledge which is also important. And that whale puts food in humans mouths because hes the reason for that weekly payroll check.

Last edited:
For that matter your cats, dogs and any other pets want to roam free. Where's the outrage for them. There are far more pets who are living truly tortured existences who could use the help of animal rights groups far more than SeaWorld's well cared for animals do.

If Seaworld was Miami Seaquarium, I would be bothered. I hate that place.

My boss is selfish, because I have to work for him. Where are the human rights groups for that. lol

Honestly, good zoos and aquariums get a bad rap. Saying an animal wants to be free is like saying a person wants to be free. Sure, it's nice to experience the feeling of wind in the hair and go camping sometimes. But a home is a much more convenient place for living comfortably. As long as an animal is getting food and is comfortable, they really don't care about the bars and the glass in front of them. Obviously we can't get a direct answer from animals on this topic, but if you do a little thought I'm pretty sure you'll realize that most animals would kill to be in a zoo - no more stressing about where the food is coming from, no more near-death experiences from hunters, no more stress over lots of important factors that have to be taken into consideration by animals in the wild - it's all handled by the zoo in this scenario.
Would I agree with capturing whales in the wild at this point in time (or any animal that isn't injured for that matter)? Of course not. But zoos are not the horrible cages people claim they are - humans are animals too. By this logic, we should all be clamoring to run into the wild and hunt our own food, but here we are, typing on a computer from the convenience of our homes and able to eat without running around and possibly injuring ourselves.
(I'd like to add that I used 'Life of Pi' as a sort of inspiration for this, and it's much more about playing devil's advocate than actually saying animals 'enjoy' captivity. No one obviously knows the answer to that question - but I do feel it's really a misnomer to label it as cruel or harmful to animals based on one documentary - yes, Sea World has a reputation to protect, but ask the overwhelming majority of scientists on the topic and you'll find that it is probably the best place on Earth for captive sea life to be)...

(I'd like to add that I used 'Life of Pi' as a sort of inspiration for this, and it's much more about playing devil's advocate than actually saying animals 'enjoy' captivity. No one obviously knows the answer to that question - but I do feel it's really a misnomer to label it as cruel or harmful to animals based on one documentary - yes, Sea World has a reputation to protect, but ask the overwhelming majority of scientists on the topic and you'll find that it is probably the best place on Earth for captive sea life to be)...

I would agree, Seaworld is a great zoo. But the situation with Tillikum is pretty extreme compared to what goes on in say, the penguin enclosure. There are extreme opinions at all angles, but "Oh well, that's humanity!", as seen elsewhere, is a pretty unremarkable argument.

This is a very good interview if you haven't watched it before from a former sea world trainer
[video=youtube;VX4GRC6L07w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4GRC6L07w[/video]

Reactions: natespf
So he goes back to the old ridiculous argument of compassion and awareness only happen as a result of seeing animals up close in captivity. And that it's not so bad if you are in jail, because the conditions are really good. Oh and don't forget that other animals are in captivity too, so what about them? And there are worse things going on in the world than this. What about the people in Africa?

So he goes back to the old ridiculous argument of compassion and awareness only happen as a result of seeing animals up close in captivity. And that it's not so bad if you are in jail, because the conditions are really good. Oh and don't forget that other animals are in captivity too, so what about them? And there are worse things going on in the world than this. What about the people in Africa?

Not really a ridiculous argument at all I can see the logic of education and awareness sea world brings to the general public through a handful of mostly captive bred whales. The "jail" comment is ludicrous, I'm not even going to bother commenting on that apart from sea worlds facilities are world renowned, I believe the animals are in the best hands.

Exactly about other animals being in captivity, do you or your family own a fish tank? Most fish are captured from the wild, if its good for one park surely it should be world wide. Zoos, pet shops, personal pets, etc. The film is just an one dimensional agenda pusher.

And obviously there are worse issues going on in the world then a hand full of Orca's apparently being "abused and treated as slaves in their little bathtubs."

No I do not own pets, as I have stated before, but it really shouldn't matter. One issue is not negated because there are others.

Of course it is a one sided agenda! You say this as if it is a bad thing.

Have you ever cared about any social or political issue? Well I guess you better be prepared to give it up because there will always be something worse.

No I do not own pets, as I have stated before, but it really shouldn't matter. One issue is not negated because there are others.

Of course it is a one sided agenda! You say this as if it is a bad thing.

Have you ever cared about any social or political issue? Well I guess you better be prepared to give it up because there will always be something worse.

It is a bad thing to be one sided as it hypnotizes the public. There is never an argument that doesn't have at least two sides to a story, and to be informed on only a single side is detrimental to the community as a whole. Certainly Nazi Germany hugely improved the economic condition of Germany in the early twentieth century, that's one side of the story. The other half is obvious. Think of all the beautiful million dollar homes that were built along the canals and beaches of both Florida coasts. Now I remind you that they were built at the cost of millions of mangrove trees that housed thousands of birds, reptiles, fish, and small mammals. The American Civil War resulted in the freedom of African Americans from slavery, to which southerners responded with acts of terror, massacres, and the formation of hate groups such as the KKK. Christopher Columbus discovered America, and European diseases devastated the native populations. Someone died at a traveling fair that doesn't take good care for operating procedures while Disney and Universal rarely face such problems. Just imagine history only knowing half of any of these and then claim being uninformed is good.