Blackfish (The Tillikum Documentary) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Blackfish (The Tillikum Documentary)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You act as if because a movie was put out there to portray one of the sides, the Internet was subsequently shut down so that people could not see the other sides.

You act as if because a movie was put out there to portray one of the sides, the Internet was subsequently shut down so that people could not see the other sides.

People havent bothered to see the other sides. Most people arent prompted to do hours of research after watching a movie. The documentary, after being shown on CNN and available on Netflix, has gained a ton of views, mostly from people who will make up their mind after seeing it. If the internet was where most people made their decisions, Blackfish would be a website. But its not; its a movie because thats how it could hit the most people and sway the most opinions. Its a one-sided, biased, and ignorant movie. Youre fighting an uphill battle with this one buddy

From the Orlando Sentinel

SeaWorld plans to block shareholder vote aimed at 'retiring' killer whales

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
4:42 p.m. EST, February 3, 2014

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. intends to block shareholders from voting on a measure that urges the Orlando-based company to develop "coastal sanctuaries" and use them as retirement homes for its collection of captive killer whales.

The proposal was submitted by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in advance of SeaWorld's first annual shareholders meeting, where shareholders will be asked to elect directors and vote on other company business. PETA owns 80 shares of SeaWorld stock.

But SeaWorld has told federal regulators it plans to ignore PETA's request. The reason: Federal rules require shareholders to have held stock in a company for at least a year before they can submit recommendations for a vote. SeaWorld has been a publicly traded company for less than a year, making it impossible for any shareholder to meet that criterion.

"Because the proponent [PETA] had not — and could not have — held shares in the company for at least one year prior to the date on which it submitted the proposal, it is ineligible to submit a stockholder proposal at this time," the company wrote in a recent letter to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The marine-park owner went public on April 19 of last year. PETA bought its shares in the company on the same day.

What's more, SeaWorld says it plans to file its annual "proxy statement," a document that must be mailed to shareholders before its yearly meeting and that must include any proposals to be voted on April 17, two days before its first anniversary as a publicly traded company.

To cover its bases, SeaWorld has asked the SEC for assurance that the agency will not take legal action should it exclude PETA's recommendation from its proxy materials.

PETA, which has asked the SEC to deny SeaWorld's request, accuses SeaWorld of hiding behind federal rules. The organization notes that it has held SeaWorld stock for as long as possible and that it does not intend to get rid of its stake in the company — which is currently valued at about $2,500 — before the annual meeting.

"SeaWorld shareholders should have an opportunity to improve the company's reputation and preserve its future by making the progressive decision to transfer these intelligent mammals to sea sanctuaries where they finally have the opportunity to be whales again," said Jared Goodman, PETA's director of animal law.

SeaWorld defended its decision in a written statement Monday. "We owe it to our shareholders to conduct our annual proxy process in accordance with the Securities and Exchange Commission rules and regulations," the company said.

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414

Yeah that was a really nasty thing that PETA did when SeaWorld went public. I'd be fine if they took the money they earned from their returns to donate to anti-SeaWorld causes, but to intentionally try to attack the company from the inside is seems wrong. I couldn't imagine what kind of backlash there would be if MS had done this to Apple.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/05/25/vandal-modifies-seaworld-sign/#ixzz32q6xCCU4

SAN DIEGO – Drivers heading south on Interstate 5 near Mission Bay Sunday may have noticed one of the highway signs was defaced by a critic of SeaWorld San Diego.

Someone apparently climbed to the top of the sign hanging over the middle of the busy highway and painted over it.

The vandal changed the exit sign to “Sea World SUCKS.”

The incident happened amid protesting outside SeaWorld over Memorial Day weekend. Protestors expressed their concern of the orcas being held in captivity.

It was unknown when Caltrans would remove the vandalism.

“This act of vandalism demonstrates that, once again, these extremists are more concerned with publicity stunts than actually helping animals,” SeaWorld San Diego spokesman Dave Koontz stated Sunday.

seaworld-signage.gif

:bang: :stunned: I honestly don't even know what to say about this stupidity...

Reactions: natespf
I saw the movie last week and it's insanely biased. I'm really shocked this has gotten that big of a following and supporters when almost all of the movies problems took place around 40 years ago. It's almost like super size me when it came out, Just got a bunch of people to hate a company. I'm not that big of a seaworld fan anyways because they don't have much content but this is definitely not a reason to hate them, especially after they save tons of animals every single year. The vandalism and the backlash is unneeded and I'll still go to seaworld, the zoo and the circus even after seeing it. Didn't change my POV at all

An old thread, but I recently saw the doc on TV here.

It is biased however important points I noted:

There is video evidence throughout of conditions at Sealand, as well as other incidents like the times when trainers were held under. I think the conditions are not suitable for an animal that is capable of huge distances in the wild daily.

The scientific evidence of how the Orca communities group themselves (as families) in the wild and are then put together or separated to suit the needs of the business.

The visible evidence of injuries to Orcas due to the above two points. Also, the bent fins, which are never observed in the wild.

The admission of capture techniques (admittedly years ago), and the breeding methods still used which are again for the business, not to preserve an endangered species.

There is no doubt that Seaworld does do good work with rescues etc, but on the other hand I feel there is no doubt that their practices have been, and may well still be unethical.

I visited last year with a group, before I saw or heard of the doc and was uneasy with the 'show' aspect which seems to be more important than preservation, or rescue, those things are an add on to a script for the team members.

Personally, I am not fond of animals in captivity without being due to a rescue, or endangered species breeding program that is planning to release to the wild.

I do feel that the business is the main driver, and everything else below that in terms of priorities.

I visited last year with a group, before I saw or heard of the doc and was uneasy with the 'show' aspect which seems to be more important than preservation, or rescue, those things are an add on to a script for the team members.

Personally, I am not fond of animals in captivity without being due to a rescue, or endangered species breeding program that is planning to release to the wild.

I do feel that the business is the main driver, and everything else below that in terms of priorities.

Of course the show is going to mainly be first and foremost about the show elements and entertaining the guests. And of course SeaWorld is a business first. But you have to look at the bigger picture.

People dont go to SeaWorld to be preached to...if you think of SeaWorld as a place to learn about conservation youre kidding yourself. Sure thats part of it, but people can educate themselves on that at home for free. SeaWorld's chief purpose is to entertain people and thats how they make their money. So obviously the show isnt going to be a marine biology lesson, its going to be entertaining to hold people's attention and gain their money.

HOWEVER, its what SeaWorld does with their money that people are failing to realize. Its not just important for SeaWorld to get peoples dollars because theyre a business...its important because with that money, they devote themselves as a company to conservation efforts and saving animals no longer fit for the wild.

While you may look at the entertainment aspect of it as a shameless money grab, its actually more beneficial to their conservation efforts. Because the more money they draw in, the more they can donate to saving these animals in the wild. The most ironic thing about that is the people protesting SeaWorld are more than likely spending the $90 they would on admission on other things that dont go toward the cause they seem so desperate to defend.

Of course the show is going to mainly be first and foremost about the show elements and entertaining the guests. And of course SeaWorld is a business first. But you have to look at the bigger picture.

People dont go to SeaWorld to be preached to...if you think of SeaWorld as a place to learn about conservation youre kidding yourself. Sure thats part of it, but people can educate themselves on that at home for free. SeaWorld's chief purpose is to entertain people and thats how they make their money. So obviously the show isnt going to be a marine biology lesson, its going to be entertaining to hold people's attention and gain their money.

HOWEVER, its what SeaWorld does with their money that people are failing to realize. Its not just important for SeaWorld to get peoples dollars because theyre a business...its important because with that money, they devote themselves as a company to conservation efforts and saving animals no longer fit for the wild.

While you may look at the entertainment aspect of it as a shameless money grab, its actually more beneficial to their conservation efforts. Because the more money they draw in, the more they can donate to saving these animals in the wild. The most ironic thing about that is the people protesting SeaWorld are more than likely spending the $90 they would on admission on other things that dont go toward the cause they seem so desperate to defend.

I guess working for a capitalist bank I always think of the money first.

As Seaworld is floated (excuse the pun) on the stock exchange. Their number 1 priority is shareholder, and profit. There is no getting away from it.

I've not gone and found their annual report, but if this is true it goes to show the profit is most important...

".. according to its 2011-12 Annual Report, SeaWorld has given only $9 million dollars over the last decade toward conservation efforts. That means for every 100 dollars in revenue they bring in, they donate approximately 1 cent toward saving the animals in the wild whose captive counterparts they are exploiting. That's .0001 percent of their income going to help animals in the wild. I think that might be the most telling point of all — that, in fact, SeaWorld is really nothing more than a money-making enterprise."
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2013/12/21/a-reply-to-sea-worlds-open-letter-1537

Reactions: Jenstar
^Im not refuting that at all though. First and foremost, yes, they are there to make money. But 1 cent out of every $100 is not something to brush off, considering SeaWorld is such a huge company. Regardless of their status as a publicly-traded company, they still make massive strides to help animal conservation and they cant do that effectively without money. And that money is derived from their ability to entertain guests with their animals.

I'm not sure of the exact figures but I know they have donated more than that through the Conservation Fund alone, and the figures you quoted are from an anti captivity group. They also don't account for the money SeaWorld spends rescuing animals and for the perpetual care they provide for animals that can never be released into the wild due to medical conditions. At the Orlando park alone they care for dozens of animals unable to fend for themselves in the wild that are also never on public display. These animals need constant care and that isn't cheap and obviously there's no glory for the park in it. It's done because it's the right thing to do.

^Im not refuting that at all though. First and foremost, yes, they are there to make money. But 1 cent out of every $100 is not something to brush off, considering SeaWorld is such a huge company. Regardless of their status as a publicly-traded company, they still make massive strides to help animal conservation and they cant do that effectively without money. And that money is derived from their ability to entertain guests with their animals.
Again, still more than the people protesting have donated

I'm not sure of the exact figures but I know they have donated more than that through the Conservation Fund alone, and the figures you quoted are from an anti captivity group. They also don't account for the money SeaWorld spends rescuing animals and for the perpetual care they provide for animals that can never be released into the wild due to medical conditions. At the Orlando park alone they care for dozens of animals unable to fend for themselves in the wild that are also never on public display. These animals need constant care and that isn't cheap and obviously there's no glory for the park in it. It's done because it's the right thing to do.
It does say on their website 'surpasses $10 million in 10 years' so it is around that amount..Sea World does more however..

The big problem people have is that Sea World is a 'For-Profit' entity and therefore makes it seem as if they are capitalizing on their animals..which they kind of are..but at the same time Sea World continues to be devoted to animal care and rehabilitation where PETA pays The Situation to take a picture with his dog for an advertisement..And what can be said about The Circus, Fairs and run down Amusement Parks where the conditions are terrible...Sea World is not the entity I would be worrying about..there are so many other organizations who need the bad press..

Places like Miami Seaquarium that treat their animals horribly are the ones capitalizing on their animals. Seaworld, one of the best animal care/conservation companies in the world, are not. Seaworld isn't making profit just to care for the animals making them the profit, they are spending money taking care of many animals. And it's not all about the money spent, Seaworld does form a lot of events that people volunteer for, without the organization who would come together to help the animals.

Places like Miami Seaquarium that treat their animals horribly are the ones capitalizing on their animals. Seaworld, one of the best animal care/conservation companies in the world, are not. Seaworld isn't making profit just to care for the animals making them the profit, they are spending money taking care of many animals. And it's not all about the money spent, Seaworld does form a lot of events that people volunteer for, without the organization who would come together to help the animals.

I know I wouldn't personally care about Orcas or un-clean beaches if I hadn't visited Sea World so much as a kid..Anyway, this is kind of a tired thread