Bob Iger Running for President? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Bob Iger Running for President?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about Trump's politics and whether they can work or not has nothing to do with Iger rumored 2020 run. If you want to get into politics... there's a thread for that.

http://forums.orlandounited.com/threads/world-news.10371/

Sure it does, they're directly associated with one another. If we cant have political discourse in a topic about somebody running for the presidency, then the only thing that's really left to be said is "That's great" or "I hope he doesn't" without the ability to expound on the opinion.

The problem isn't that we can't, it's that people are hesitant to even go there. If people really cared about their opinions on politics, it'd be wise to try and find commonalities with others, rather than push people away like so many seem to do.

I think taking a step back and looking at it from the perspective of someone running this forum is a key aspect in this.
I understand your point man - I promise you I am incredibly passionate about politics. I would love to discuss these things in great detail.
But passions run high and the way things are right now, we're reaching a boiling point.
Regardless of any of that this place is a friendly community. And the discussions you refer to, while necessary and important, can ruin a community like this.
In the end, all we can do is try to discuss as civilly and kindly as we can.
I hope we can talk on politics more as time goes on but I absolutely understand his hesitation on it at this particular time.

I think taking a step back and looking at it from the perspective of someone running this forum is a key aspect in this.
I understand your point man - I promise you I am incredibly passionate about politics. I would love to discuss these things in great detail.
But passions run high and the way things are right now, we're reaching a boiling point.
Regardless of any of that this place is a friendly community. And the discussions you refer to, while necessary and important, can ruin a community like this.
In the end, all we can do is try to discuss as civilly and kindly as we can.
I hope we can talk on politics more as time goes on but I absolutely understand his hesitation on it at this particular time.
I agree. Things were getting bad around the inauguration too, which is why the World News thread is locked.

It just wasn't fun as it got pretty nasty and members were getting really testy with each other.

Sure it does, they're directly associated with one another. If we cant have political discourse in a topic about somebody running for the presidency, then the only thing that's really left to be said is "That's great" or "I hope he doesn't" without the ability to expound on the opinion.

The problem isn't that we can't, it's that people are hesitant to even go there. If people really cared about their opinions on politics, it'd be wise to try and find commonalities with others, rather than push people away like so many seem to do.

1. They are not directly associated in terms of opinion on whether you agree or disagree with Trump's political actions, which is what this thread started getting into. There will obvious be a cause and effect, and there is no way of deciding what that will be just yet; nor the actions the future nominee will take to handle it for 2020.

2. This is a theme park forum, and we all know online debates (especially as of late on here) can lead to very shake exchanges. I've seen this before even when the political climate was less hectic. I have to keep it in check, and on a short leash when it comes to this.

Reactions: Frogki
Well if that's your stance, and I recognize that it is your forum, I'd recommend keeping the political grip in a container and not letting those fears extend out elsewhere. Way back in the day, I ran a rather large forum into the ground for enforcing so many rules that it limited freedom of speech of the community. Carry on :wave:

Reactions: Miketheboss
I am only 21 and new to the voting scene, but I do know what I saw this past election and the debates it is was a total circus and a disgrace to the entire Democratic Process. I am saying this in reference to both parties although the Republican Parties debates were somewhat more of a circus than that of the Democratic Debates in my opinion. As for candidates with no political experience like Donald Trump and Ben Carson I honestly think something needs to change with this. Celebrities and Business Types, Sports Figures running for President should not be allowed in my opinion. I am all for those people running for other office than putting their names in the hat for President once they do some service, but not right away. Basically those people are running on Name and most Celebs. and Good Businessmen/Women are very good speakers so that helps get them by as well. Take for example in my State of Maryland, if someone like Cal Ripken Jr. decided to run for President I guarantee you he would most likely at least win the State of Maryland on the popular vote. Now then take someone like Iger or more like Oprah who is a National Celeb. she would muster up a lot of support on just name and that is just not right in my opinion.

I am only 21 and new to the voting scene, but I do know what I saw this past election and the debates it is was a total circus and a disgrace to the entire Democratic Process. I am saying this in reference to both parties although the Republican Parties debates were somewhat more of a circus than that of the Democratic Debates in my opinion. As for candidates with no political experience like Donald Trump and Ben Carson I honestly think something needs to change with this. Celebrities and Business Types, Sports Figures running for President should not be allowed in my opinion. I am all for those people running for other office than putting their names in the hat for President once they do some service, but not right away. Basically those people are running on Name and most Celebs. and Good Businessmen/Women are very good speakers so that helps get them by as well. Take for example in my State of Maryland, if someone like Cal Ripken Jr. decided to run for President I guarantee you he would most likely at least win the State of Maryland on the popular vote. Now then take someone like Iger or more like Oprah who is a National Celeb. she would muster up a lot of support on just name and that is just not right in my opinion.
You're more politically savvy than most people that have been voting for decades. Keep up the good thoughts.

You're more politically savvy than most people that have been voting for decades. Keep up the good thoughts.
Thank You. I just say it as I see it and what I saw then was a big mess and a lot of what I see now is also a mess. All I can hope for is better things to come, but I don't really have much faith in that right now.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Thank You. I just say it as I see it and what I saw then was a big mess and a lot of what I see now is also a mess. All I can hope for is better things to come, but I don't really have much faith in that right now.
Political events & positions go through cycles. The American republican democracy system is flexible, and in the long run things will work out.

Reactions: Pixie Jules
Political events & positions go through cycles. The American republican democracy system is flexible, and in the long run things will work out.
Yes, you are correct. These more controversial issues that are being overturned mostly by Executive Order will most likely come back to favor once the power shifts back to those in favor of those issues. One thing I find rather hilarious is all the grumbling that occurred when Barrack Obama signed Executive Orders is now being overlooked by those same people as President Trump's pen is going nuts in such a short period of time with Executive Orders.

Yes, you are correct. These more controversial issues that are being overturned mostly by Executive Order will most likely come back to favor once the power shifts back to those in favor of those issues. One thing I find rather hilarious is all the grumbling that occurred when Barrack Obama signed Executive Orders is now being overlooked by those same people as President Trump's pen is going nuts in such a short period of time with Executive Orders.
Politician & Hypocrite mean about the same. :lol:

As someone older- but only 33- I felt the Opposite this past election. I've felt neglected by the politicians that promise one thing and then completely disregard them. Both parties seemed "more of the same" and I believe that, take Trump, was more pure to his stances as he had little to gain by running for president. His business has suffered as a result- and he knew it would (again- you piss off and alienate 50% of the population the day you decide to run). I would think the same with Iger. He would have more to lose than gain financially by being president- so I would trust his word more. I don't fully "trust" many people outside of my family and closest friends- so I certainly wouldn't "trust" iger or trump fully- but I would trust them more. When politicians speak it goes on deaf ears to me. I'm sorry, but bush, Obama, and Clinton were all interchangeable to me and I've been burnt on every election I've voted on. Granted- I don't think Gore or Romney would've been any different- they're all cut from the same cloth in my eyes- working for the parties and not the people.

I agree completely. I hate the overuse of power from our presidents the past 2 decades really catapulting with G W Bush. As I mentioned in my earlier post on page 2- the presidents role is not to "serve the people" directly through executive orders. That's the role of the legislative branch- namely the house. The role of the president is to put the country first and simply to enforce the laws passed by the legislative branch. Executive = country, legislative = people. Executive orders and vetos should be seldom- if ever used. Unfortunately, that appears to be a thing of the past.
One of (there were many) the reasons a populist like trump (or like iger would be) won was because many (like me) lost faith that our legislative branch was serving the people anymore and it was a move in voting that shook them at their core. "Serve us- not yourself or special interests", essentially. So in some ways, I'm personally happy with many of trumps executive orders. But If given too much power, it goes against everything our country was founded on with checks and balances. And because of that, I disagree with them.
Truthfully, if Trump could use his influence to push voters to put enough pressure on the legislative branch to establish term limits on them- then it would be the greatest victory and presidency our country has had in decades. Regardless of everything else. The impact that would have on our country would be monumental. I'm tired of 9th term people sleeping in their chair during the passing of LAWS. It's a slap in our face and just further proof they don't serve us and serve whoever they're on the take from. I'd vote for any populist that could get that done. Iger or otherwise. But it's going to take a populist for that to ever happen.

I see this term as more of the same as what occurred in Obama's Presidency. Grant it, I was a kid for the majority of Obama's Presidency but I saw what was happening. Whatever he put in front of The House or Senate it was shot down. Not because it was a good or bad Bill, but because Obama backed it and the majority could not get passed there egos to see what was right for the country and just thought for themselves. Well the same thing is setting up for Donald Trump. Sure he has the majority in The House and Senate right now, but he has not only alienated the entire Democratic Party but also now many from his own party on his issues. Also in 2018 many of these House and Senate seats are up for re-election and well the people seem to be falling a bit out of favor with what Donald Trump is doing as well as many of these Republicans. What this means to me in my opinion is pretty much 4 more years of not much getting done which is absolutely ridiculous.

I see this term as more of the same as what occurred in Obama's Presidency. Grant it, I was a kid for the majority of Obama's Presidency but I saw what was happening. Whatever he put in front of The House or Senate it was shot down. Not because it was a good or bad Bill, but because Obama backed it and the majority could not get passed there egos to see what was right for the country and just thought for themselves. Well the same thing is setting up for Donald Trump. Sure he has the majority in The House and Senate right now, but he has not only alienated the entire Democratic Party but also now many from his own party on his issues. Also in 2018 many of these House and Senate seats are up for re-election and well the people seem to be falling a bit out of favor with what Donald Trump is doing as well as many of these Republicans. What this means to me in my opinion is pretty much 4 more years of not much getting done which is absolutely ridiculous.

While the thread is getting off topic as these replies are supposed to be in regards to Bob Iger running for President, the main reason for dysfunction in Congress and why nothing will get done regardless is due to our election system. Currently is its easy to get re-elected by fighting for supposed values than actually making change. Because once there is a change, you can't use that issue to get people to vote for you and your views. It was easy for conservative politicians to rally against ACA despite trying to push it through Congress back in the 90s because they could use it to get votes by saying how bad it is which repealing obamacare was on most of their reasons to vote them into congress.

If Bob Iger run for president, his biggest pits falls is the progressives under the democrat wing will not trust him due to the cut of employee hours, lack of overtime, and other consumer and worker issues that have arose. Conservatives will use him to show how bad the liberal media is and how they helped get him elected and how his progressive values are contrary to family values which thus will attempt to hurt Disney and fail because Disney is king for children. Moderates and Centrists would be the biggest winners along with libertarians with Iger being President.

While the thread is getting off topic as these replies are supposed to be in regards to Bob Iger running for President, the main reason for dysfunction in Congress and why nothing will get done regardless is due to our election system. Currently is its easy to get re-elected by fighting for supposed values than actually making change. Because once there is a change, you can't use that issue to get people to vote for you and your views. It was easy for conservative politicians to rally against ACA despite trying to push it through Congress back in the 90s because they could use it to get votes by saying how bad it is which repealing obamacare was on most of their reasons to vote them into congress.

If Bob Iger run for president, his biggest pits falls is the progressives under the democrat wing will not trust him due to the cut of employee hours, lack of overtime, and other consumer and worker issues that have arose. Conservatives will use him to show how bad the liberal media is and how they helped get him elected and how his progressive values are contrary to family values which thus will attempt to hurt Disney and fail because Disney is king for children. Moderates and Centrists would be the biggest winners along with libertarians with Iger being President.
All I can say is I hope he sticks to his day job as well as these others who have expressed interest in running like Oprah. I don't want to see another circus come 4 years. It not only makes them look foolish, but it makes our country look foolish by many other countries.

Moderates and Centrists would be the biggest winners along with libertarians with Iger being President.

As some of these are words I would use to describe myself, I hope you're correct. But once you sign on to be the leader of either of the major parties (which the president is), you're tainted by all that partisan baggage and have to stick to the party line on a lot of things.

If we had to see Iger run, I'd much rather he try to mount an Independent run like Bloomberg was considering last year before he wimped out. It'll never happen, though.

The problem with this is that in America, I - with zero political experience (edit from ability, which wasn't what I meant but in my case is also true) - have the absolute right to run for President. At that level, I am the same as Donald Trump, who is the same as Oprah Winfrey, who is the same as John F. Kennedy. The idea of anyone being "not allowed" to run for a public office, unless there is a legitimate reason such as a felony record, runs directly counter to both the way things are done, and the reasons for those methods, in America. This is the truth whether you're on the side that Trump is good for America, or whether you're on my side, which for the sake of Briman not booting me ;) , I won't elaborate on here.

At the risk of double posting, I'll add on here to say that "Because I'm famous" is equally legitimate a platform to run on as any other; the fact that America was foolish enough to fall for it is an indictment of the populace, not the candidate. Edit because I USED TO BE GOOD AT WORDS ONCE

The problem with this is that in America, I - with zero political experience (edit from ability, which wasn't what I meant but in my case is also true) - have the absolute right to run for President. At that level, I am the same as Donald Trump, who is the same as Oprah Winfrey, who is the same as John F. Kennedy. The idea of anyone being "not allowed" to run for a public office, unless there is a legitimate reason such as a felony record, runs directly counter to both the way things are done, and the reasons for those methods, in America. This is the truth whether you're on the side that Trump is good for America, or whether you're on my side, which for the sake of Briman not booting me ;) , I won't elaborate on here.
I understand exactly what the law states and what I am saying is in my opinion I think the law should be changed. Like I said I have no problem at all if any celeb. or whoever wants to run for political office they can do so, but they need to go through some sort of channel system before putting their hat in the Presidential Race(The Highest Office in the United States) or even the Vice Presidency for that matter. Before my time Ronald Reagan did just that and that is perfectly fine. That is all I am saying. I think when a person has the responsibility of the Highest Office in all of the United States they should have some experience under there belt before taking over that job. Take myself for example in a much smaller scale, I am about to graduate with a degree in Elementary Education. Do you think a school would hire me as a Principal right out of college with no teaching experience at all? No Way. All I am saying is the law need to be adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.