Cabana Bay Beach Resort | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Cabana Bay Beach Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wonder what the diamond shaped spray paint markings on brand new sidewalk indicate at around 4:35?

Yeah, I wondered that too. They appear symbolic so anyone in the construction biz on here should know.

Too, what is that bell sound near the end on the approach to Citywalk? I never recall hearing it.

For some of you that do not think of such things, it cost them an added fortune to build all of those whimsical curves into that walkway, both in concrete and landscaping.

Finally, the new pathway they cut at Royal Pacific is amazing in that they had to cut through root system of old growth bamboo. They might have well had to cut up into 5 foot deep reinforced concrete, bamboo is so nasty rugged underground. That is why it is so relatively expensive to purchase.

Yeah, I wondered that too. They appear symbolic so anyone in the construction biz on here should know.

Too, what is that bell sound near the end on the approach to Citywalk? I never recall hearing it.

For some of you that do not think of such things, it cost them an added fortune to build all of those whimsical curves into that walkway, both in concrete and landscaping.

Finally, the new pathway they cut at Royal Pacific is amazing in that they had to cut through root system of old growth bamboo. They might have well had to cut up into 5 foot deep reinforced concrete, bamboo is so nasty rugged underground. That is why it is so relatively expensive to purchase.

There are some orange ones not too far from where I live, I believe those in the video are red. These are similar in shape but IDK exactly what that means, usually they are straight lines. I am thinking they are arrows pointing to lines |<>| possibly "eh they are about here...somewhere" :rofl:

white - proposed excavation
blue - potable water
green - sewers and drain lines
purple - reclaimed water and irrigation lines
pink - temporary survey markings
red - electric power lines, cables, conduit and lightning cables
yellow - gas, oil, steam, petroleum or gaseous materials
orange - communication, alarm or signal lines, cables or conduits

There are some orange ones not too far from where I live, I believe those in the video are red. These are similar in shape but IDK exactly what that means, usually they are straight lines. I am thinking they are arrows pointing to lines |<>| possibly "eh they are about here...somewhere" :rofl:

Oh dear, I suppose it suggests that, that section must be dug up, landscaping and concrete. Something was supposed to be there and it ain't. It happens!

Yeah, it's remote controlled. When Mike heard it for the first time he squeed like a teenage girl.

Cool, I loved the whimsy and ambiance of it. Interesting that there, next to the lagoon, with the lighthouse in the BG, caused me to think in more nautical terms. Also interesting how context bends the truth of things.

Back from my three-night stay at Cabana Bay. Here's a litle info from my experience there:

The room - Very clean and bright, comfortable, nicer than expected. The room had a funky smell, wasn't sure if it was related to cleaning chemicals, or plastic/carpet/new furniture smell, but I noticed it every time I came in the room, but then I would get used to it pretty quickly and it didn't bother me. It was weird and kind of annoying but I never tried to switch rooms or anything. It was definitely a BAD smell though. I just creeped myself out by thinking I should have looked under the beds!

The overall hotel - I was not excited by the retro theme at all when I first heard they were building it. It really does look good in person though, and I would stay there again. They picked the best elements to make it fit that retro theme, good mixture of the past and present. Everything felt spacious and unique/custom. Not like any other hotel in the world.

Walk to the parks - The pedestrian bridges are now complete. It takes about 20 minutes to walk there (room to park gates), and I'm tall and walk fast so it may be longer for some people. The walk is not bad, and they did nice landscaping on both sides of the walkway. I found myself taking shuttles most of the time, simply because there was never a wait for one and they picked up by my wing of the hotel. Seriously, at all times of day when I wanted to take a shuttle, there was either a shuttle already at the stop or less than a 1 minute wait. It worked out great. They start at 7am and go to 2am.

Pool area - I love the fact that they have a lazy river. It's nice and was never crowded. An adult will pay $8 for a large inner tube. After you're done using it, you return it to them and they give you a brand new one still in the package to take home. So it's kind of like renting/buying and it's kind of a cool idea. You don't have to inflate or deflate them yourself this way, and it keeps costs down for them while allowing you to get something for your money by taking a tube home.
There were two big hot tubs which was nice but I wish they stayed open later than 5:30pm. The pools were great. I didn't do the waterslide but kids seemed to love it. I liked the music, they played lots of modern pop/hit music, it wasn't retro stuff all the time. The big pool with the waterslide gets more sun than the pool by the lazy river. Because the pool areas are in the middle/courtyard area of the hotel buildings, they don't get full sun all day because of the building shadows.

Favorite things - I loved the fire pits outside, and the fact that you can buy s'more kits to roast marshmallows and make s'mores. It was only $7.99 for two food kits and four sticks (so enough for 4 people to each roast/build their own s'more). That's not bad, I don't know why people say that's overpriced. The fire is free! If you want to roast dozens and dozens of marshmallows, just bring a bag from Walmart and go to town.

The gym was very large and great looking, but I was too busy eating and drinking to try it out. Oops maybe next time! It looked far better than most hotel gyms.

The lobby would occasionally have a minion in it greeting kids. Everybody seemed to be surprised by this and loved it.

VALUE - I liked everything here enough to warrant another stay, but the value is what makes it impossible to pass up. If you travel during non-peak times, there is no need for express passes anyways. If you are mainly going to see Harry Potter attractions, save the extra money by staying here and still get in the park early. However, if money is no object for you and you want express passes, I would highly recommend staying at the RP or Portofino instead.

Cons - I didn't love the dining options at this hotel. I think that is the only flaw with this hotel. The Bayliner Diner was the main dining hall, the other 2 small cafes serve a limited menu that's basically the same food. It did the job, and the 1 meal I had in the Bayliner Diner was GREAT (it was a 3-layered BBQ brisket grilled cheese with homemade potato chips), but I found that I was never really excited to eat there, and I always wanted to go to Citywalk, Leaky, or 3B instead. At Cabana Bay they have pizza-only room service, but I saw two different groups of people bringing back Red Oven pizza from Citywalk so maybe that tells you something about the hotel pizza? Starbucks was nice to have there, but there was always either a long line, or no line but only 2 employees that were very slow to make drinks. Also, it just doesn't have quite the same appeal as the other onsite hotels. Cabana Bay is on the fringe of the property, so if you have a room view that doesn't face inward towards the large courtyart/pool area, you will be looking at some not so pretty sites around the edge of Uni property. All things considered, it was better than I expected and I would happily return. I saved hundreds of dollars by staying here, and the RP and Hard Rock were sold out due to the One Direction concert.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
I will be staying at the Royal Pacific in August. I know that pool-hopping is allowed/encouraged between RPR, Hard Rock and Portofino. But I've heard conflicting reports about pool hopping from RPR to Cabana Bay.

Can anyone shed some light on what the official policy is?

I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed the Xmas decor here. The lobby alone had like six or more trees. I was impressed.

staying for our second trip in less than two weeks. moving from the area and just back to take care of a few last things. we were going to stay with friends but with the AP rate its just so hard to pass up. getting some last minute universal action in is just a bonus! loved the resort, the theme and our room was a standard 2 queen and i just fell in love with it. the only con i encountered was the walls were thin and early morning we could hear our neighbors loud and clear but past that no other concerns come to mind. the free wi-fi is great!

Last edited:
Which do you think is better, the courtyard family suites or the tower family suites?

Tower Family for me because of the proximity to the food court, bus stop, etc. Then again, depending on your room location, your distance can be closer in the Courtyard Family Suites. I felt Courtyard had a little bit more of a value feel with the doors opening to the outside, like at Disney. Tower is all interior hallways.

I personally like the inner courtyards better than the towers with the exceptions of the pool music and the gate doors slamming. The outside is a little quieter but I feel too exposed out there.

I've got family visiting for Harry Potter Weekends from Seattle, Phoenix, and Washington DC and cannot freaking wait!! Here is the deal though and I wanted to share because I thought it was cool. For the price of ONE NIGHT in a suite at the Grand Floridian I was able to book 3 suites for 3 nights at the Cabana Bay Resort at Universal!! Here is a breakdown

3 Nights / 3 Suites at the Grand Floridian 3500 bucks

3 Nights / 3 Suites at Cabana Bay 1000 Bucks

I've got family visiting for Harry Potter Weekends from Seattle, Phoenix, and Washington DC and cannot freaking wait!! Here is the deal though and I wanted to share because I thought it was cool. For the price of ONE NIGHT in a suite at the Grand Floridian I was able to book 3 suites for 3 nights at the Cabana Bay Resort at Universal!! Here is a breakdown

I booked recently too, managed to bag 2 weeks in Sept (HHN) at $71 a night.

Also over in July and just booked 2 nights HRH (first stay here) and 5 nights CBBR. Staying on Disney for 2 weeks prior.

Should be a good year :happy:

I booked recently too, managed to bag 2 weeks in Sept (HHN) at $71 a night.

Also over in July and just booked 2 nights HRH (first stay here) and 5 nights CBBR. Staying on Disney for 2 weeks prior.

Should be a good year :happy:

Awesome! I've got passes to both now lol

I get the point your trying to make here, but the Grand Floridian, even if it isn't as "Grand" as Disney may want you to believe (it's certainly no Four Seasons), is well above the level of Cabana Bay. And if you actually get a suite at GF, the service there is actually top notch. I was privileged enough to have the opportunity when I was a bit younger and it was amazing.

Obviously saving $2500 and if you are there for Uni anyway, it's a no brainer... but in what world did GF and CBBR become equals to which we directly compare them?