Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Camera Equipment Questions and Recommendations

That sounds like the platters may have been knocked out of alignment. You probably have two options and one of them is going to sound crazy.

1) Take it to someone to see if they will repair it
2) Put the drive in the freezer for an hour or 2, put it back in and be prepared to back everything off of it as fast as possible.

That sounds like the platters may have been knocked out of alignment. You probably have two options and one of them is going to sound crazy.

1) Take it to someone to see if they will repair it
2) Put the drive in the freezer for an hour or 2, put it back in and be prepared to back everything off of it as fast as possible.

What is the theory behind the freezer? Shrinking a loose operation?

Yeah that's what I've heard. The cold can minimize the friction and compress the mechanisms inside. We had an archaic voice mail server drive fail one time, and someone suggested we try it. My director at the time decided it made more sense to completely rebuild everything instead. I'm curious to see how well it works but was told it can give you a couple of hours to back everything up

Yeah...I've heard that can fry your equipment due to any moisture that may form on the inside as it comes back to room/operating temps. I may try that if I'm told it can't be repaired/recovered or I'm quoted a ridiculous price.

Yeah I would definitely only do it as a last ditch effort, but once you reach that point anything is better than nothing.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the 'What do you shoot with?' thread.

Anyways, I was hoping to buy my first DSLR camera before my Universal trip coming up in July. I was hoping that the photography veterans on here had some ideas of what would be a good camera. (ie. Quality of pictures, durability of camera)

My budget is in the realm of $450-$550 on this, so nothing super professional grade for now.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the 'What do you shoot with?' thread.

Anyways, I was hoping to buy my first DSLR camera before my Universal trip coming up in July. I was hoping that the photography veterans on here had some ideas of what would be a good camera. (ie. Quality of pictures, durability of camera)

My budget is in the realm of $450-$550 on this, so nothing super professional grade for now.

Thanks!

First thing that comes to mind is this Sony A6000, I am partial to Sony but you can go wrong with them, Nikon, Canon and even Fuji and Pentax really.

Amazon product ASIN B00I8BICCG with lens its a little higher where you need to be but is an outstanding little camera that gives you room to grow into also.

Another is the model right below that one Amazon product ASIN B00MHPAFAG which is more in your target range.

Also take a look at Amazon's top sellers and not that I would decided based off this, im showing more so you can see what cameras are available and for what cost, which a few are pretty good and in your range also
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Digital Cameras

Thanks!

You can't really go wrong with Nikon, Sony, or Canon's entry level DSLR's. All of them offer incredible ability but remember it's not the equipment brand that makes these photos but rather the photographer and how they use the camera. I know when I bought my first DSLR I was thinking I would just be able to take great photos, ha not even close.. The photos you see from @Hockeyman55 @BriMan and others have taken tens of thousands practice shots and duds to get too. Brian and I prefer Canon, Mike and @Octobers Fade prefer Sony, and @Disneyhead prefers Nikon. All of these people are VERY capable of taking breath taking photos with all the major camera brands. So again you can't go wrong.

There are a few things that each brand does do a little differently or better too. Canon is known for low light, Sony is known for the most realistic colors and picture, and Nikon sharpness. But if you know how to use your camera those differences are minimal.

But to finally answer your question I shoot with a Canon T4i 18MP and I love it. Brian shoots with a T5i which is what I recommend you get. The T4i was discontinued and replaced by the T5i. Both have the exact same "hardware and specs" but the T5i has upgraded video capabilities. So again if video isn't a big thing they're the same thing for photos.

Right now you can snag a T5i for around 450-475 dollars via a quick glance but again you may find it even cheaper with research.

Finally and something to consider, the camera body is one thing but you'll find down the road the real money monster are the lenses... So keep in mind getting into the basic bodies to save some money is a great way to be able to afford a secondary lens, and yes youll need one sooner rather than later.

Hope that helps...

Adding to what @hatetofly mentions, to this day I still take more duds than photos I post and I have been at it since late 2011 :lol: A lot if though is setting up the shot and adjusting settings, sometime I think the settings are where I need the to be but after taking the shot ill readjust to my liking.

@Mockingjay Thinking more about this, if this is your first dive into photography you might want to start on the cheaper side for a few reason, one it will give you time to learn the camera and see how each setting plays a part in the big picture and grow as a photographer. Second if you decide this isn't you thing and you don't want to invest more into it you aren't out a whole lot of money, but if you do catch the bug like us be prepared to fork over some cash :lol: This is also

Something like this might be perfect for you. Entry level Canon and includes the kit lens all for under $400. With free shipping if you have Prime. Like @hatetofly said, you can build up your lens collection if you decide you like a particular system and take those lenses with you as you upgrade the body. A lot to think about. You can even go into your local Best Buy to put your hands on some of the cameras there to get a feel for them. I wouldn't necessarily buy one there since you can get a better deal elsewhere

Amazon product ASIN B004J3Y9U6

Thanks Hockeyman55 and HateToFly! I really appreciate the input!

I currently have a Fujifilm which I've gotten pretty comfortable operating. The only thing that it doesn't do well is high action shots and nighttime pictures. So, currently to get any half decent dusk/nighttime photos I have to take the photo literally as the sun is going down and it still isn't turning out the way I want. Hence the search for like a base model DSLR that I can grow into with lenses and such as I learn how to operate it properly.

That being said I've kind of honed into two models I'm seriously considering which are the Nikon D3300 and the Canon T5 or T5i. My next question is that these cameras have or don't have the Wi-Fi included. Was that an option included in your cameras? If so, did you choose to have that option included and how often do you really utilize it?

@hatetofly Since you're the Canon expert, is there a huge difference between the T5 and the T5i? I know there must be, but the question is for the purpose I currently want to use it for and my future growth in the camera which model should I pick taking into account those differences?

You can't go wrong with any of those cameras really. Sadly, until you get into some of the higher end models, shooting low light high ISO will always be a challenge with the noise

Mine doesn't have wifi, they sell memory cards that connect to wifi so you can upload your photos. For me that is a feature I don't necessarily need, if I was a blogger posting photo updates live at a park it would be great but I like to edit my photos before I unleash them on the world.

I have never used one, and use a Nikon D7000 myself, but I wouldn't rule out the Pentax K-50 if I were starting from scratch today. Dual command dials are great as is a viewfinder with 100% coverage.

Be aware you are willingly starting down a slippery slope. I found myself looking at a D750 online the other day thinking $1999 for just the body maybe wasn't too bad...

I second the T5i, it's a great camera for the price! Especially if you have any inclination of getting into video in the future at all. You can install Magic Lantern (3rd party firmware) and open up a ton of possibilities with this camera as you get more advanced with it. I have a T3i, I even shot a TV commercial with it.

Awesome guys! Thank you all so much for your help!

I went with the Nikon D3300 and found a great deal at Target for the camera, bag, extra lens, wi-fi adapter, and micro SD card!

I will definitely post some pictures after I have had some time to test it.

@awhen I already started down a slippery slope, I'm a Universal AP holder. :lol: Now I'm trying to position myself with work to move to our Orlando office since the semi-annual trips aren't doing it.

See you all in the parks!

Good choice, I have the d3100, few years old now and yours is an improvement on it. It has served me well though and it has just enough features to take decent shots but not overwhelm.

Tip, read, read and read some more then shoot shoot and shoot some more, a great camera doesn't take great pictures without knowledge and practice but above all have fun :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing your shots in the photo threads.

It's about time to retire my Canon Rebel T5i and I'm thinking about a bit of an upgrade. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

1. Canon 80D
2. Sony A7Rii

The Sony is double the price, and I would lose my lens collection - but the specs and low light & video quality surpasses most cameras.

The Canon 80D is great as well - but the video quality takes a dip in low light settings, which are kind of important for some of our updating needs.

Thoughts?

It's about time to retire my Canon Rebel T5i and I'm thinking about a bit of an upgrade. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

1. Canon 80D
2. Sony A7Rii

The Sony is double the price, and I would lose my lens collection - but the specs and low light & video quality surpasses most cameras.

The Canon 80D is great as well - but the video quality takes a dip in low light settings, which are kind of important for some of our updating needs.

Thoughts?
The Sony A7Sii is better for low light and video. The R version is better for photography if that's what you're going for though. I wish I could get one, I instead seem to find myself amassing a large collection of Canon Rebels with a wide array of extra stuff to lug around.

The Sony A7Sii is better for low light and video. The R version is better for photography if that's what you're going for though. I wish I could get one, I instead seem to find myself amassing a large collection of Canon Rebels with a wide array of extra stuff to lug around.

Yeah, the R is photo with video features; which is why I'm looking at it over the S.

Yeah, the R is photo with video features; which is why I'm looking at it over the S.
Yeah they're both great cameras. The 80D is nice, I don't know that I could get over spending that kind of money and still having a crop sensor though.