Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain Marvel (2019)

So the review embargo doesn't technically release until March 5th, but the social media embargo has been lifted and I haven't read a single negative review yet. This is my personal favorite:

I've also read quite a few reviews that say the film itself is quite different from what the trailers have been showing us (in a good way). Which sort of leads me to believe that there is some sort of large twist in it that made it difficult for them to advertise the film without spoiling it.

I don't know what my plan is to see this. I've not started to rewatch the MCU yet and I know once I see this, I'll be hyped to the max for Endgame. I might put off until mid April and hopefully avoid any spoilers.

I wasn't really sure what to make of this but everything I've read over the past few days is promising.

I don’t even think it’s a good idea for such a last-minute, little-known character to play a big role in Endgame. For her to steal the thunder to defeat Thanos from the original characters after their 10 years of build-up would be grossly disappointing. At least let her help the Avengers some but nothing more than that.

While I do agree that it’s more of an issue with the character than the marketing, the marketing is really overselling her. Trying to proudly claim that she will be the face of phase 4 (or is it 5?) before the BO results are even in is pretty overly zealous, isn’t it?
Yeah this is part of my problem with it. It’s a boring character already but they’re giving her the strongest powers she’s had in the comics collectively right off the bat in the movie to make her more important. It’s all so forced. What I’ve liked about the MCU so far is there isn’t a “Superman” character. Now it looks like there is.

Good article in the Washington Post tonight about internet trolls continually targeting various movies to hurt their rating levels and success. Rotten Tomatoes, in response to negative troll bombs directed against Capt. Marvel and other diverse cast films, is changing many of their procedures and algorythyms to negate targeted trolling.

Last edited:
Good article in the Washington Post tonight about internet trolls continually targeting various movies to hurt their rating levels and success. Rotten Tomatoes, in response to negative troll bombs directed against Capt. Marvel and other diverse cast films, is changing many of their procedures and algorythyms to negate targeted trolling.
The Captain Marvel trolling was just sad. Bunch of morons just posting not gonna see it because Brie Larson is racist/hates men blah blah since she asked for more diversity in the press pool.

The Captain Marvel trolling was just sad. Bunch of morons just posting not gonna see it because Brie Larson is racist/hates men blah blah since she asked for more diversity in the press pool.
The trolls started attacking the SW9 rotten tomatoes page, too (before RT changed their policy). Films with female leads get hit with much more negative attacks it seems as it's somehow seen as placating for the simple fact that a Women get to star in a movie over a man. How dare Hollywood show equal representation and show Women in powerful roles after using them mostly as side characters/sex objects in movies for decades! :rolleyes:

They’re trying so hard to make this thing relevant. Making her overpowered and using nostalgia as a selling point.

Gotta make her the center of the MCU I guess.

I’m getting really nervous about this and Endgame. If Captain Marvel is as ridiculously overpowered as they’re trying to make her out to be, there’s going to be so many continuity issues in the MCU.

A really good twist at the end would be to fast forward 25 years and see her turn to dust.

Brie Larson is a great actress and I've enjoyed her work since The United States of Tara, Scott Pilgrim, and more but this for me is a pass. The more I see, the more its just not meant for me. I hope its great and successful but I don't plan to watch (unless my bae makes me since huge marvel fanboy).

The marketing is fine. My issue is i'm not buying Brie Larson as the character so far.

I don’t even think it’s a good idea for such a last-minute, little-known character to play a big role in Endgame. For her to steal the thunder to defeat Thanos from the original characters after their 10 years of build-up would be grossly disappointing. At least let her help the Avengers some but nothing more than that.

While I do agree that it’s more of an issue with the character than the marketing, the marketing is really overselling her. Trying to proudly claim that she will be the face of phase 4 (or is it 5?) before the BO results are even in is pretty overly zealous, isn’t it?

I'm just not getting the hype they are pushing for this movie. I was pretty excited about the movie when the first details were released. Now, not so much. Every day it seems like they are pushing her to the forefront of everything and making her the greatest of all time. After everything leading up to End Game, it just feels wrong.

My biggest gripe I guess is a sort of power creep.

The one thing that made me prefer the MCU to the DCEU was the fact that the powers were relatively well defined in scope and tight limitations and that the characters were relatively "mortal" (despite how few die other than Infinity War, there's a lot of tension given the characters are frail with few exceptions).

Even somebody like Dr. Strange or Thor whose powers can dominate the stage are limited in the time and scope that they can use those types of "super" powers.

Thanos showed just how frail the Avengers can be against a sort of god-like being.

Captain Marvel seems like the first character whose powers are really far beyond any of the others and start to reach that kind of "god-like being" stage. The way Feige has talked about her, and the way she's been presented, is that she'll have a "Superman" like impact on the MCU.

My problem with that is that I hate how Superman just "solves" every problem in the DCEU. Looking at Justice League and BvS, the worst parts are how easily Superman removes any tension from a scene... as soon as he takes the field, it damages any sense of high stakes.

It is interesting to read these reactions. I was expecting everyone in here to be in full hype force. ( i know some posts are old but still.)

I agree with not being too excited, i actually LOVED Brie in Kong Skull Island, and she was incredible in Room. At first i was happy with her casting.
But the trailers to me just look like the green lantern movie. The trailers arent that exciting ( specially with this movie being before end game) and the story doesn't sound that great.
It doesnt have the feeling of wonder that the rest of the MCU has, ( it has nothing to do with Brie, but the movie itself doesnt even feel like an MCU movie)

What sucks about the trolling controversies is that now anyone that has a negative opinion about the movie is labeled a troll.
If i take some of these quotes, and posted them on twitter, i would be attacked for "trolling" ( dont get me wrong, the sexist trolls are definitely causing trouble) but the trolling goes both ways. Because anyone having any negative feelings on the movie is going to get burned...

I personally hope captain marvel doesnt take out thanos, i hopeis one member of the original avengers. It would be more fitting if iron man sacrificed himself or something ....
( but im ok if she leads the new avengers after end game)

Really don’t understand why people think the Russo brothers are just going to end the long going story line with Captain marvel one punching Thanos.

What sucks about the trolling controversies is that now anyone that has a negative opinion about the movie is labeled a troll.
If i take some of these quotes, and posted them on twitter, i would be attacked for "trolling" ( dont get me wrong, the sexist trolls are definitely causing trouble) but the trolling goes both ways. Because anyone having any negative feelings on the movie is going to get burned...

The problem now is that when the trolls go after something, they go out in full force as early and repeatedly as possible. Hell, Star Wars IX is already being attacked 9 months out despite the lack of a trailer and it's being directed by the guy who everyone was cheering on 3 years ago. By the time the movies do get released, all the negative feedback usually feels redundant regardless of whether it's warranted or not.

I am super excited about Skrulls as I wish they had been brought in sooner.... But Brie Larson's valley-girl-ass "im gonna end it" delivery in the trailer made me a little nauseous. If I wanna watch a valley girl save the day ill watch Buffy.

The problem now is that when the trolls go after something, they go out in full force as early and repeatedly as possible. Hell, Star Wars IX is already being attacked 9 months out despite the lack of a trailer and it's being directed by the guy who everyone was cheering on 3 years ago. By the time the movies do get released, all the negative feedback usually feels redundant regardless of whether it's warranted or not.

I also think some of these controversies are also manufactured by the studios to gain sympathy and attention. Not always, but sometimes.

Obviously the trolls are very real, the online harassment is real, the rotten tomatoes downvotes are real.
But some of the articles coming out

The trolls are definitely real, and the hate is real

But some of the controversy feels manufactured.
Some websites fan the hate flames and make clickbait articles for views.
Some bloggers on twitter intentionally feed the trolls,confront them and then turn around and write an article on what they were replied with.
Like i said. Im not saying that the trolls arent trolling all over the place, but their trolling wouldnt be so big and so successful if some of these clickbait sites wouldnt give them so much attention. As well as attacking anyone and everyone as a troll

A few hours ago i made a comment on how Brie seems miscast, and i was accused of both being a russian troll, and an automated bot :lol:

I would describe most reviews as "tempered positive." Most single out Samuel L. Jackson and, particularly, Ben Mendelsohn as the major standouts in the cast, most say it plays with the 1990s setting in some fun ways, and most say the cosmic stuff is interesting and weird.

Common issues pointed out: Brie Larson being "fine" as opposed to comfortably dominating the role, a weak third act confrontation (which is a pretty standard problem with blockbusters in general), and uninspired/weak action sequences.

I would describe most reviews as "tempered positive." Most single out Samuel L. Jackson and, particularly, Ben Mendelsohn as the major standouts in the cast, most say it plays with the 1990s setting in some fun ways, and most say the cosmic stuff is interesting and weird.

Common issues pointed out: Brie Larson being "fine" as opposed to comfortably dominating the role, a weak third act confrontation (which is a pretty standard problem with blockbusters in general), and uninspired/weak action sequences.
Sounds almost exactly what I expected.

Lol, you must be looking at the same reviewers that hated on SW8. I personally haven’t heard many bad things about it at all.

No one is crazy enough to give it a bad review. No one wants to kick that hornets nest.
Specially if the reviewer is male.... lol
But there are a couple of negative reviews on RT tomatoes from some women critics.

But just like with ghostbusters, any guy that gives negative is going to have a bad time

Reviews look fine for Captain Marvel though I think they do warn of a future of "Marvel story/plot fatigue" in the future if they don't start experimenting more with how they roll out new heroes.

I get that they had to probably be absolutely safe with Captain Marvel because she's the title hero for Marvel bearing the logo and name of the brand, and she'll have a pivotal role in Endgame and being the next leader after the current generation goes along with Black Panther/Dr. Strange/Spiderman and whoever else sticks around.

Still, I've seen the phrase "just another Marvel movie" or "hits a lot of the usual Marvel beats" way too many times in the reviews that I've seen, even the positive reviews note that it sort of feels very familiar after GotG 1-2/Thor Ragnarok.

TL;DR of most of the reviews I've read is: The purpose of this movie is to enter Captain Marvel with all of her powers into the MCU for the final showdown with Thanos; it checks all those boxes capably in that it doesn't really have to stand alone.

No one is crazy enough to give it a bad review. No one wants to kick that hornets nest.
Specially if the reviewer is male.... lol
But there are a couple of negative reviews on RT tomatoes from some women critics.

But just like with ghostbusters, any guy that gives negative is going to have a bad time
:rolleyes:
It’s getting the same reviews as every other marvel movie. Making this leap that people are afraid to give it bad reviews is hilarious.