Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Expansion

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
I'm not a sports guy, outside of wrestling. Has the NBA's star really dropped that far?
I'd say it's about as respected as wrestling. The games are entertaining enough to go to in person, but I cannot be bothered to get too into something that seems super-manipulated.

Universal is doing it right and building a generic sports bar that can adapt to whatever is popular and/or going on that particular day. A good friend described it as a chameleon which I found to be apt.

I'd say it's about as respected as wrestling. The games are entertaining enough to go to in person, but I cannot be bothered to get too into something that seems super-manipulated.

:lol: Oh Mike...

I'm not a sports guy, outside of wrestling. Has the NBA's star really dropped that far?

NBA has grown immensely around the world - so no, it's just the restaurant itself wasn't really working.

Plus, a restaurant dedicated to one sport isn't going to work anymore, with the only exception possibly being the NFL.

If/when NBA does go could they not use the land for park expansion rather than another restaurant?
It's kinda out of the way to be used for the park. Back behind the side of Cat in the Hat, over an access road, etc. And then the first thing people would see looking out over CityWalk would be a show building or something which probably isn't ideal

Shows that NBA is pretty savvy. They've managed to sucker the two big players in Orlando. At least Universal smartened up!
Well, if NBA had put any money into the restaurant over the years and possibly even updated it even once since it open (and maybe given it a revamped menu with edible options), then maybe they wouldn't have been in the position they were in the first place to get kicked out.

They're better with Disney since ESPN/ABC has NBA rights, however, if Disney is going to do this in what sounds like may be the DQ building, i'll never understand why they don't just use the ESPN branding, which opens them up to a much wider audience.

Well, if NBA had put any money into the restaurant over the years and possibly even updated it even once since it open (and maybe given it a revamped menu with edible options), then maybe they wouldn't have been in the position they were in the first place to get kicked out.

They're better with Disney since ESPN/ABC has NBA rights, however, if Disney is going to do this in what sounds like may be the DQ building, i'll never understand why they don't just use the ESPN branding, which opens them up to a much wider audience.

The issue might be if they went with ESPN branding it would be just that sort of generic name, with separate licensing needed to use the names of teams and athletes from the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. With NBA they can use the likeness of anyone currently signed to a team - "Lebron's Cleveland Cavaliers BBQ Sandwich" probably sounds better than "BBQ Sandwich"

And.... Its gone

"Several months ago, we decided not to renew the lease for NBA City so we could create an exciting, new concept for that space. We'll announce the new concept soon – and it will join all the other great experiences we’ve opened at CityWalk. NBA City closes in late August"