CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 124 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The prop store was open for 7 years, prices were largely inaccessible to guests outside of small junk/trinkets, and it was tiny & unthemed. It was replaced by something that is incredibly well themed, popular, and full of things guests actually want and can afford. Miss it all you want, but it was a blatant upgrade of a store that had a fairly lengthy run and not Universal closing some big, iconic, unique venue prematurely.

Might be a hot take, but I’m not sure a preview center is really necessary with modern social media. The IOA was one was cool in the 90s, but people couldn’t just easily look up info about the park like they can now. I’m not a huge fan of losing the legacy store for a preview center.

Might be a hot take, but I’m not sure a preview center is really necessary with modern social media. The IOA was one was cool in the 90s, but people couldn’t just easily look up info about the park like they can now. I’m not a huge fan of losing the legacy store for a preview center.
It’ll be a new age preview store for a new age.

The IOA Preview Center was filled with extremely elaborate displays getting into the fine details of each land and most of the attractions. Something like that for Epic Universe would certainly be cool and would be worth seeing in-person (versus merely learning about the park on social media) because of the tactile nature of the displays. I still wouldn't want to lose the Legacy Store for it, but in a vacuum, it would be worthwhile.

My suspicion, however, is that the Epic Universe Preview Center is going to be more a store than anything else.

I disagree. I feel a Preview center is still very much worth. It gets people to plan a return trip based on the excitement of visiting the preview center. I know my kids would love it if it involves miniatures of the lands.

Epcot had a cool preview of their upcoming attractions set up for awhile and it was very popular.

Lets not overestimate the number of people that regularly view theme park social media sites. The General Public isn't really into that stuff. They'll visit the parks for entertainment and fun, but they don't spend a lot of time in our fandom world. ...Yes, a Preview Center is definitely needed.....Outside of Orlando, very few people know about Epic, even those out of state tourists visiting Disney & Universal.

Last edited:
Yeah, one really can't stress enough that even in the modern era of social media, the general public doesn't consume theme park news/rumors like we do. One might think that they can just easily look it up online, but the general public has proven time and again they usually don't.

There's plenty who don't know the park exists, and there are those who know it exists but think it might be a new land or something.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Mad Dog
No one I talk to in the real world knows Universal is building a new theme park. I ask people all the time in my day to day life when theme parks come up in discussion. No one has any idea.

But the preview center is for more than just creating awareness. It’s about creating hype.
Resounding YES, you are correct. I'll repeat a story I told months ago. We spent 10 nights at WDW in April. We're fairly sociable and always talk to lots of fellow tourists. We almost always mentioned Epic, the new Universal park. No one, I'll repeat 'no one', knew about the park, including a huge national education group that was staying across the street from the Epic construction. When we told them about it they said they noticed the construction, but didn't know what it was.....I'm sure Universal will take care of business marketing wise, ultimately, but they have a long way to go.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Alicia
I really wish that all the parks that are discontinuing printed maps would just go back to selling poster maps like they all used to in the 70’s/80’s. That way those of us whole love physical maps could collect them as souvenirs. All they have to do is charge a buck or two and not only do they pay for themselves, they turn a profit on them.

A beautifully rendered poster map is something park fans would love. And if the parks don’t make them, there are plenty of entrepreneurs who could…