CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Landry's has been struggling for some time and are merging with Fast Acquisitions in hopes to turn around their trajectory. There are rumors of Landry's jettisoning some of it's smaller and lesser performing brands to focus on it's more high end and stable brands like Morton's and Landry's Seafood House. Bubba Gump's is one that is rumored to be in danger along with Rainforest Cafe. If Landry's kills the Bubba Gump brand, I don't see Universal wanting to just flip the location to a regular, kind of pedestrian Landry's. So that could possibly open a location for a retheme.

The merger with Fast should be complete in the 2nd quarter of 2021. We'll see what happens.
I very much get why it’s not for everyone but, for my family and I this is our favorite Citywalk restaurant, so so many memories there. I can see it happening and I get it but boy do I hope this doesn’t happen

Oh I'd love to see any of these in this spot. A Universal-themed kind of place would be perfect in this spot. Set the mood heading into Citywalk.

Beijing isn't on my radar, to be fair. I only care about Orlando.
But, in a way, decisions being made in Beijing speak to their MO

Last I knew (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that though The Cowfish is not a huge chain like Bubba Gump or Margaritaville, it is still third party

Putting a restaurant like that in your brand new park does say something about overall intent

It interests me because at the time they added The Cowfish to Orlando, it only had one other location

To me that means smaller, non Universal owned restaurants could be in the mix if they match the type of menu Uni wants

Last I knew (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that though The Cowfish is not a huge chain like Bubba Gump or Margaritaville, it is still third party

Putting a restaurant like that in your brand new park does say something about overall intent

It interests me because at the time they added The Cowfish to Orlando, it only had one other location

To me that means smaller, non Universal owned restaurants could be in the mix if they match the type of menu Uni wants
Though Cowfish is third party owned, it is run & staffed by Universal. Universal took it over after the initial opening ran into myriad operating problems. So, it's kind of a hybrid,
like Pat O'Briens, which is also managed and staffed by Universal.

It also may have been a decision by the Chinese partners in the resort.

But yea, my guess is any outside vendors brought into CW in the future will be "niche" franchises, not something you see at every tourist place like a Landry's restaurant
Universal Music Group has a huge stable of music artists. I wonder if there is a creative restaurant/music concept in there for cross promotion.
UMG is owned by Vivendi, not Comcast

It also may have been a decision by the Chinese partners in the resort.

But yea, my guess is any outside vendors brought into CW in the future will be "niche" franchises, not something you see at every tourist place like a Landry's restaurant

UMG is owned by Vivendi, not Comcast
Bingo. And I'm totally fine with that. Voodoo is technically a chain too, right?

I just want to be able to eat somewhere that I can't find within 2-3 hours from my house.